Do bigger people lose weight faster?

Options

Replies

• Eisey127
    Options
    Agreed, doing exercises, eating less, still at 6lbs lost in the last 2 weeks, guess I better lay off the evening glasses of wine :(
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    definitely... I used to lose several pounds a week before (once i started), now im lucky if i lose once a week, im getting so close to my goal weight but it sure is harder.
  • LesleyGillan
    Options
    In the first week we do, I just lost 10lbs :noway: Being so overweight usually includes extra fluid retention because of the really bad food choices that got me this way! It remains to be seen what my next week loss will be.
  • SeekingKarma
    SeekingKarma Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Also, it takes calories to maintain a certain weight. When there is a deficit, until the body gets used to it, it'll use whatever available storage.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I think past eating habits are more to "blame" than overall weight to lose.

I started at 220, and I didn't realize how crappy I was eating. Ice cream, chips, biiiiiiiiig meals with no regard.

I've been at this for just over a month and I've lost 15lbs so far. No complaints, I'll take all I can until it slows down and I really have to work at it!
  • Raina27
    Raina27 Posts: 133
    Options
    the more you have to lose, the easier it is.

I will call bs on this line. I am 321 right now. I work out like a mad women 5 days a week and eat well with in my cal each day. Each person body is different and will lose at it own rate.

I'm with you!! This has NOT been easy for me AT ALL!! I am also very heavy and the lbs do NOT come off ANY faster!! I struggle just to lose 1 pound!! So I would say NO just because someone is bigger doesnt mean they lose any faster because everyone is different!!
  • anewlife4me8610
    anewlife4me8610 Posts: 91 Member
    Options

I will call bs on this line. I am 321 right now. I work out like a mad women 5 days a week and eat well with in my cal each day. Each person body is different and will lose at it own rate.

I LOVE IT!!! SO SO SO TRUE...I have weeks where I am just working like mad and I actually gain! so It all depends on your body, your metabolizem and if your taking medications etc.
    But generally the bigger you are, you will see big losses...check out the show Biggest Loser...they get on and one person will lose 35 lbs the first week, the other will only lose 3....and you think REALLY???? lol Fact is if you are burning 3500 more calories more than you take in, you will generally lose 1 lb. Since larger people use more calories to exist, they will burn at a faster rate, and your friend may have lost a lot of water weight too.....try increasing your water intake that might help speed things up...the more you drink the more you expel. Its awesome you have someone to keep you motivated...Keep up the awesome work!
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    the question was whether heavier people lose weight faster, not whether they lose weight easier.

it's been an established scientific fact for nearly 100 years that heavier people have a higher BMR.

if i fed 1500 calories to a 150lb person daily and 1500 calories to a 300lb person, and they do IDENTICAL exercise daily and everything else is equal (same age, gender, height, overall health, body composition, etc.), the 300lb person will shed weight more quickly than the 150lb person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris-Benedict_equation

however, as you lose weight, your BMR decreases. this is why large people can drop large amounts of weight early on, but as they near their goal weight, it becomes harder and slower to see similar losses.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I always figures that a heavier person would have a higher TDEE. So if you have a lower TDEE but have both been eating the same then her defecit will be higher, resulting in faster weight loss, at least initially.

Might be rubbish but it's what I always thought lol
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    You do Turbo Jam with 100 pounds of extra weight on you and tell me how easy it is.
    I'll bet I find it easier to lose weight if I do that and keep eating the same :).

Rode my push bike home with maybe 35lb extra shopping in the bags - was hard work and I've lost over 50lb, so was carrying that around all the time. Definitely found it easier to lose initially.

Haven't got the link to hand, but I believe it's been shown that you can also lose more fat per week the more you've got - as common sense would also suggest really.

Certainly the lower I've got the more I've had to make an effort about getting everything right - thus using MFP rather than generally not eating much and doing a fair bit of exercise.
  • traceygl1967
    traceygl1967 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I started at 300lbs work out lots eat right and I lose weight very very slowly always have. The most I have ever lost in one week is 2lbs on any diet I have ever tried and believe me I have tried a few lol.
    So generally I think it depends on the individual
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Short answer: Yes
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    yes..the more you weigh...the more calories you burn....that is why as you lose weight you have to do more, work out harder to achieve the same results.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Yeah and she would be bruning more doing the same exercise etc
  • claire_90
    Options
    % of weight is usually the same but of course then the numbers will be a lot bigger
  • Monalisa85
    Monalisa85 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes. I've got 24 to lose and not doing it at the rate of someone I know who is 110 lbs overweight and she's losing at a faster rate. And I workout and she does not, she refuses to.
  • Suzyqall72
    Options
    Of course. In the beginning you lose weight faster, as you get closer to goal, it slows down. You also get more calories to spend when you weigh more. The down side is that you have longer to go to get to goal.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Don't compare your results to other people.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

I paked at your food diary to see if maybe that could be a problem why you're not shedding faster and in my opinion, it probably is. If you worj out 5xs a week, at your weight, you need way more cals and especially more protein. I'm not the kinda of person who gasps in horror when someone is doing a a 1200 cal diet, and regardless if you "eat your calories" back, it's really low. You may want to explore changing this. Even if your extra cals you add on are protein, it's a start.

I agree wtih measuring body fat% change or % you lost. Any loss is a win!
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    I've got 100 lbs (at least!) to lose and it is sloooow going so far. Nine days of tracking and no weight loss yet. I wish my bigger size would make the fat slide off.