Be Honest! How many big losers lost lots w/o exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• dejablue
    Options
    Another reason that I always wonder about how plausible losing large amounts of weight without much exercise is is because this fall I plan on going back to school, hopefully full-time, but cannot afford to cut my income by much so I'll still need to be working 30+ hours a week somehow. So when you figure in work, school, study time plus managing a household (cooking, cleaning, etc.) I just wonder how well exercise is going to fit into my lifestyle then.

I know some people do it, and maybe as I get thinner I'll be more energetic but I've always been a pretty low-energy, homebody kind of person. I'm guessing I'm going to be pretty zapped doing that kind of schedule. We'll see though :) .

I work full time and go to school part time, have 2 kids a hubby and grandbaby at home. I still find time to work out!! IT can be done, if YOU want it.

I have a lot of weight to lose so I don't want to have any more extra skin hanging around than absolutely necessary.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I usually find that if I'm having a bad mental day or two that some hard exercise makes me feel better. I know it's much easier to give into feeling bad and just doing nothing, believe me I've done it too, but the workout gets the good stuff flowing and helps you feel better.
  • Steve1962
    Options
    Someone suggested to me that, in addition to dieting, I should exercise. They said I should walk a mile or two a day.

I don't even like driving that far.

I haven't exercised an iota, and I'm down 15 pounds from January 4...
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I started enjoying exercise when I stopped exercising for weightloss' sake and started doing it for health's sake. Even though I'd lost a few pounds through counting calories I just wasn't healthy. I couldn't keep up with my kids on the playground or even walk my dog w/out getting worn out. I started running and pilates, two things I really like, and the weightloss / better fitting clothes has just been a bonus. Besides, who wants to be TOFI?
  • mrsmeadows327
    Options
    I lost 45 pounds without going to a gym, but I hit a wall, so I joined this site and Curves last month. In 1 month I lost 11 pounds and 13 inches (all over) by using MFP and Curves. Working out gives me more energy and it's addicting once you start:smile:
  • kjs1628
    kjs1628 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't typically love exercise, but I bought an exercise bike in the Christmas sales, popped it in front of the Tv and now I just get on it for 15-30 minutes a dat while I watch Deal or no Deal. Works a treat for me, as I don't feel I'm having to find the time, just doing something I would usually be doing, while moving my legs a bit!!!
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I lost about 50-100lbs without really working out hard. I regret it though. It is so much easier when you have a workout plan.

Losing weight is good but your overall goal should be to get your body in great shape. Without a decent workout plan, you are not in great shape.

It depends on your goals. If you just want to be thin and don't care about much else then you can do that without exercise.
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I lost about 50-100lbs without really working out hard. I regret it though. It is so much easier when you have a workout plan.

Losing weight is good but your overall goal should be to get your body in great shape. Without a decent workout plan, you are not in great shape.

It depends on your goals. If you just want to be thin and don't care about much else then you can do that without exercise.

I do have a workout plan, but as I said before, it had been a tough week where I just felt like crawling in a hole and hibernating until it was all over.

I do agree with you that overall health is the primary goal, for me anyways. My main reason for posting this thread was so that I wouldn't end up gorging on junk food all week because "hey, since I'm not exercising as much as I usually do and probably won't lose weight, I might as well just eat whatever crap I feel like too." I just didn't want to feel like the week was all for naught just because I wasn't getting my usual workout in.

I've been "skinny fat" before (you know, a skinny person who couldn't jog a mile to save their life and who's got flabby, weak little arms and thighs) and that's definitely not my goal this time around. I want to run a marathon after I'm at my goal weight!
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    And an update:

The night that I did this post, I got up and did two separate 10-minute workouts and the rest of the week I did a couple of those a day whenever I got a burst of energy. I also busted out my 3-lb weights and did arm exercises while watching TV and even managed one 5 AM workout. Even though it was pretty low-intensity and a short 20 minutes compared to my usual 40, at least it was something!

It really helped me to just do whatever exercise I could bring myself to do and NOT log it into MFP. Being obsessed with how many calories I was burning just wasn't a priority for me.

I still lost my 2 lbs this week :happy:

And I'm feeling a lot better emotionally/mentally. Having to attend a funeral right before your TOM is about to kick in can really throw a girl out of whack, yikes.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options

I do have a workout plan, but as I said before, it had been a tough week where I just felt like crawling in a hole and hibernating until it was all over.

I do agree with you that overall health is the primary goal, for me anyways. My main reason for posting this thread was so that I wouldn't end up gorging on junk food all week because "hey, since I'm not exercising as much as I usually do and probably won't lose weight, I might as well just eat whatever crap I feel like too." I just didn't want to feel like the week was all for naught just because I wasn't getting my usual workout in.

I've been "skinny fat" before (you know, a skinny person who couldn't jog a mile to save their life and who's got flabby, weak little arms and thighs) and that's definitely not my goal this time around. I want to run a marathon after I'm at my goal weight!

One bad week won't hurt. I have been in a huge slump lately myself. I've been telling myself I am gonna workout and just skip it with stupid excuses. If you eat good for a week without working out I think its fine. I need to workout though, because if I don't I know I will gain lol.....weekends I like to be bad :)