Short "chubby" runners... what was your starting mile time?

Options
I'm 5'3 and 157 pounds... I'm trying to lose another 17. I have never been able to run a straight mile in my entire life. In high school I would run/walk a mile in 16 minutes. Pathetic, I know. After adding the elliptical to my weight loss journey, I wanted to try running a mile on the treadmill to see if the elliptical had helped my endurance at all. My husband told me to go between 5 1/2 and 6 MPH because that's what he does. BIG mistake. He is quite a few inches taller than me and well.... a guy! I was practically tripping over myself trying to keep up with that pace and had to stop to walk every other minute. I did it in just under 13 minutes. I felt defeated and only ran that once, but continued with the elliptical.

Today, after continuing the elliptical, and halfway through Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and with a 5K race fast approaching, I decided to run outside, at my own pace. I tracked a mile with my car so I knew exactly where I was going. I RAN THE ENTIRE THING WITHOUT STOPPING!!!! I teared up when I got to the end... BUT, when I looked at my stopwatch, it read 12:54.... I was hoping for closer to 12 but I'll take it. When I got home and told my husband my time he said "Well, that's not terrible"... Gee, thanks lol

My question is, other short runners, when you started out, what was your time?! Did you get faster?? Or are you just able to run longer, but at the same pace? I just can't see my short legs being able to go at my husbands fast pace!!

I'm a little bummed because I looked up jogging on MFP and the highest they go is a 12 minute mile... a 13 minute mile is considered a very, very brisk walk LOL But I was JOGGING! Not walking!!!

The 5K I'm running with my husband in 3 1/2 weeks. Oh wait, the 5K I'm "very, very briskly walking" lol

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    8 mins a mile. Still 8 mins a mile. I have one speed & that's fine by me. I run 10km in 52 mins. Basically that is my time now. Started out being able to do it in 55 mins.
  • HakunaMatata519
    HakunaMatata519 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    8 mins a mile. Still 8 mins a mile. I have one speed & that's fine by me. I run 10km in 52 mins. Basically that is my time now. Started out being able to do it in 55 mins.

You started out at an 8 minute mile? Wow.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what other people do. What matters is that you're running, working out, looking after yourself. Even if you did a 60 minute mile, if that's what's helping you get fitter, get healthier and slimmer. Great!

I've not really tracked my time when started out running, but I've frequently been overtaken by people walking dogs, so I'm pretty sure I slower at jogging than the very brisk pace you're at. And yes, you'll get a faster.

Running on a treadmill and running outside is very different, it's much harder outside. So that you beat your treadmill time outside on the first try means you've already improved quite a bit.
  • Barberini
    Barberini Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Also 5'3", I started around 10:30 and now run 9:30, aiming to get down to 8:30min/mile pace for a 5k.

Edited to add: I don't know my exact time when I was still in the run-walk-run stage, but I think around 14mins. And I also run faster outside than on the treadmill.
  • argonex
    argonex Posts: 19
    Options
    I marked out a 5k circuit and when i started i could walk it in 55 mins (with the dog) now when I leave the dog at home and focus on running I can run all the way round in 45 minutes. Get your fitness up first then the sped will come later (so i'm told anyway)
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    i'm about to attempt couch to 5 k for the first time tomorrow, at 5'3 and 214lb. i don't know if i can currently run a mile, but i can walk it in about 15 mins so i think i can relate. Have you tried looking up couch to 5k? in the uk it';s a running training programme based around an 8 week intervall training programme endorsed by the national health service. you could prob start a few weeks in if you can already run
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I hate running. I did a mile and a half, when I first started Boot Camp (yeah, Marine Corp Boot Camp....I sucked, and my Recruiter sucked even more for not preparing me....) at about 25 minutes for the 1.5 mile run. Yeah, pretty damned pathetic for trying to go into the military. I ended up getting it down to about 9-9:30. Now, I couldn't hope to do it in any decent amount of time. I didn't keep up with it at all after I was Discharged. That's one of my goals after I have this baby is to get back to being able to pass the Marine Corps fitness test.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    My first 5K was at 40 minutes. I've been running off and on for a couple of years now and my best time is 34 minutes for a 5K. Most outside miles are between 10 and 11 minutes. On an inside track I've managed to get a little below 9 minutes. I'm 56 and have COPD from 22 years of smoking (quit 18 years ago), so really struggle with my breathing. I use an inhaler before running and that helps. Now that you know what race I run, remember you are only racing yourself. It's challenging when you have really short legs and run. You have to move those legs twice as fast as someone with long legs. Just do your best. You're off the couch!
  • volamena
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and despite my short legs I can run fast! I think you shouldn't try to run as fast as you husband, keep your own pace, if you do it regularly you'll improve your speed as you get used to running. it's your first 5k so what's important is to finish it!! then, if you keep running you can use it as a reference and see how much you improve your time.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

You started out at an 8 minute mile? Wow.

Yeah, just started running one day last month, now this month I've already done 50km....10km a day.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 15 years and the first ever mile I did on a treadmill took my 13 minutes and that took everything I had in me. I still average 13-minute miles over distance or for a recover run, and 11-minute miles is my speedy rate. I think I only ever did one mile under 10 minutes once!

You're doing great, don't listen to the nay-sayers, you're going at you-speed, and you-speed is the best speed anyone can do. As is often quoted, you're still lapping the folk on the couch!

Edit: I'm not short (5' 8") but my legs are and I at my heaviest I was running at 14 stone (196lb) and I weighed nearly that when I did a marathon.
  • manenina
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and 157 pounds... I'm trying to lose another 17. I have never been able to run a straight mile in my entire life. In high school I would run/walk a mile in 16 minutes. Pathetic, I know. After adding the elliptical to my weight loss journey, I wanted to try running a mile on the treadmill to see if the elliptical had helped my endurance at all. My husband told me to go between 5 1/2 and 6 MPH because that's what he does. BIG mistake. He is quite a few inches taller than me and well.... a guy! I was practically tripping over myself trying to keep up with that pace and had to stop to walk every other minute. I did it in just under 13 minutes. I felt defeated and only ran that once, but continued with the elliptical.

Today, after continuing the elliptical, and halfway through Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and with a 5K race fast approaching, I decided to run outside, at my own pace. I tracked a mile with my car so I knew exactly where I was going. I RAN THE ENTIRE THING WITHOUT STOPPING!!!! I teared up when I got to the end... BUT, when I looked at my stopwatch, it read 12:54.... I was hoping for closer to 12 but I'll take it. When I got home and told my husband my time he said "Well, that's not terrible"... Gee, thanks lol

My question is, other short runners, when you started out, what was your time?! Did you get faster?? Or are you just able to run longer, but at the same pace? I just can't see my short legs being able to go at my husbands fast pace!!

I'm a little bummed because I looked up jogging on MFP and the highest they go is a 12 minute mile... a 13 minute mile is considered a very, very brisk walk LOL But I was JOGGING! Not walking!!!

The 5K I'm running with my husband in 3 1/2 weeks. Oh wait, the 5K I'm "very, very briskly walking" lol

This sounds great! Guys are just... guys! I mean, I have one of those too... They just look at you like "sure, that's fine honey" and you just want to kill them right there! The same way as they just killed your motivation! 1 mile in 13 minutes it's actually quite good! I'm 5'3 as well and I started running way slower than right now! Sorry I don't have better statistics but last year I could not run a whole mile! I mean, when I ran my first 1K I was excited! Now I can actually run 10K!!!!!!!!! (yes, I'm really really proud) but I've been running on and off for like a year and a half (and I tried running some years before that) and my best mile is 10 minutes, but trust me when I tell you I have improved a lot!
  • LiveEnjoyEndure
    LiveEnjoyEndure Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    With great fear I am commenting as a 'guy' :-/

When I first started running I had to keep stopping, all the time! Then I would run from one lampost to the next, willing myself on all the way. I wish I had know about C25K when I started out and I would recommend it. I have a friend who I supported through C25K and he is training for a marathon now.

My running improved a lot when I started doing core exercises and when I made sure I warmed up and cooled down well after each run. For cool downs stretching is really important, esp long held static stretches of your calves, hamstrings, quads and shoulders.

You'll get there ... don't compare yourself to others and remember improvements can take months to achieve.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i dont think being short has a lot to do with your time. It's much more to do with being unfit and overweight.

At the early stages of running you should concentrate on trying to extend your running time rather than speed. As this happens and you get fitter, and hopefully lighter, then the faster times will come too.
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 3" too & I used to not even be able to run a mile a few years ago. I started properly in Oct 2009 & my pace was about 13-15 min mile jog / run. My average at the moment is also 12 but I have had a few months off running. My normal pace would be 11-12 min mile. I would love to get to 10 or less & do a 5k in under 30 mins. My slowest 5k was 37 min & fastest 31:30.

I prefer running outside it is harder in many ways but it's better for me!!

Don't worry about what others do & just do what you are happy with. Interval training can help with speed rather than just plodding along (I say that as I have to start intervals as I am a plodder!!)

Best of luck & keep running :flowerforyou:
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    5'3" here, 170ish and aiming for 130ish. I started out running a 14 minute mile and am down to a 13 minute mile, 13.5 on long runs and can do 12.5 if I hustle - I actually did 4 miles at a 12:57 pace today and was very excited to break 12. I am going to tell you what's been said to me when I fret about my speed - the pace other people are going at doesn't matter; go at your own pace, one you can sustain. The more you run the faster you'll get. To be human is to compare but you have to try to focus on you :)

I'd suggest looking into the Couch to 5K, that trained me how to run and I can't recommend it enough. One of the best things I ever ever did for myself.

Edit: Oh, and don't take your husband to heart. Mine is like that too, we both ran the same 5K - he did it in 30:23 and I did it in 40:18. He was like, "You did great!" in that voice that meant "Wow you're slow!" but he's a foot taller and he's in a healthy weight range - my pace wasn't going to be his. I know I'll get better, and you will too :)
  • embercakez
    Options
    I'm 5'4 starting weight was 156 and I ran a 12 minute mile.
    I now weight 134 and run a 9:10 minute mile.

I personally don't have a goal for a time on a mile...as long as I can run a mile or 3 I am happy.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0...starting weight was 208 (currently 146). I started walking/jogging a mile at about 18-20 minutes. I would set the treadmill at 3.5mph and go. Then a few months ago, my husband decided we should do a few races. We ran a 3k and a 5k before we both got sick . I believe my fastest time was around a 12 minute mile. I can run 6mph but I can't keep it up for that distance. The fastest I can go for a 5k without slowing down is around 5.5mph. Any faster and I have to slow down for a few then start back up.

I think that's just as fast as my legs go...he doesn't understand that either
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    5'4.5"-ish here. When I'm doing long runs my pace is somewhere between 13.5 and 14min./mi. I can do a mile or two in just under 12 min/mi., but need to switch to jogging/walking intervals on longer hauls (I'm training for a marathon in Nov.).

Don't go by anyone else's pace if you're uncomfortable with it - it'll lead to injury, physical or emotional. Forward is a pace, and that pace will likely improve with weight loss and training, but there shouldn't be any pressure - enjoy your runs and getting healthy :)
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    5'3" here, 170ish and aiming for 130ish. I started out running a 14 minute mile and am down to a 13 minute mile, 13.5 on long runs and can do 12.5 if I hustle - I actually did 4 miles at a 12:57 pace today and was very excited to break 12. I am going to tell you what's been said to me when I fret about my speed - the pace other people are going at doesn't matter; go at your own pace, one you can sustain. The more you run the faster you'll get. To be human is to compare but you have to try to focus on you :)

I'd suggest looking into the Couch to 5K, that trained me how to run and I can't recommend it enough. One of the best things I ever ever did for myself.

Edit: Oh, and don't take your husband to heart. Mine is like that too, we both ran the same 5K - he did it in 30:23 and I did it in 40:18. He was like, "You did great!" in that voice that meant "Wow you're slow!" but he's a foot taller and he's in a healthy weight range - my pace wasn't going to be his. I know I'll get better, and you will too :)
    I'm faster than your DH LOL. My DH is the same way. They're just competitive and don't want to be outdone by their wives? When I ran my first 5k, my DH told me he would be more impressed if I ran a 10k :noway: Now I'm on my fourth half marathon and he still sleeps through my races :huh:

Don't compare yourself to others. Just keep going and have a good time :drinker: