Possibly the world's dumbest question

emmab0902
emmab0902 Posts: 2,338 Member
Do all protein powders contain BCAAs? And if not is there any point taking one WITHOUT BCAAs??

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    bump.. i dont think it's a dumb question and i'd be interested to know the answer. the brand i use (optimum nutrition from GNC) has about 5 grams per scoop I have no idea if that's good or not
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Whey protein does.
  • KristalandVi
    KristalandVi Posts: 44 Member
    BCAAs (branch chain amino acids) are found everywhere, sunshine! They're in the food you eat as well as in supplements. They're there to make the protein powder more effective. The way the body works, the BCAAs help you metabolize the protein, and help to ensure that the protein goes toward muscle growth and recovery from exercise.

That being said, I don't know of any protein powder that does not have BCAA added, simply because it helps the body deal with that giant shock of protein.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Do all protein powders contain BCAAs? And if not is there any point taking one WITHOUT BCAAs??

I don't take any protein powder or these supplements. I eat meat, fish, poultry, and dairy products and I seem to have build just enough muscle without these supplements. I'm not really sure they do as they claim. I just eat enough food, not extra, no extra protein, just enough, and it seems to work fine for me --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/752246-i-m-afraid-to-try-an-new-weight-lifting-program-now
  • ipiddock
    ipiddock Posts: 97 Member
    There will be some amount of BCAA's in protein powders, but the level will vary a lot from brand to brand. Some brands and powders also up the level on purpose because BCAAs are needed for muscle recovery. My usual brand contains some BCAAs but I also take BCAAs as capsules as an extra supplement. BCAAs are good to maintain muscle mass, to avoid unnecessary burning of muscle as energy. On workout days i take before and after the workout and on rest days I take between meals.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    I think so. Its something your body needs and can only be gotten through food. I'm not certain about what protein source would not have it. It helps you convert the protein into muscle.