Stomach Rumbling, Do I eat?

Options
So I am on Lite n Easy, for those who don't know it's sort of a diet plan where you order your food and have it delivered once a week. I am on the 1500 calorie plan and I have been doing around half an hour to an hour of exercise every day (usually pilates or yoga) I am keeping a weight loss journal and keeping track of what I eat, when I exercise and how much weight I lose.

The problem I am having is that my stomach is always rumbling before I get to eat next. My day usually consists of cereal for breakfast at 5:30, Im starving before I get my first 2 snacks around 10am when I get a break at work. I eat lunch around 1pm and my stomach is again rumbling by this time. Then I get my last snack around 3:30pm when I finish work and dinner is around 7pm and I go to bed around 9pm. Everything I eat should add up to around 1500 calories and I do not want to eat anymore but Im so hungry!

What is the right thing to do here?

Replies

• sadyel
    sadyel Posts: 250
    Options
    having 5 hours gaps between breakfast and until you get a break your bound to be hungry, if you dont want to have any extra calories i wouldnt eat inbetween and if your only just starting this your likely to get past that hungry stage after a couple of weeks (i know i always do) i dont know if you stomach shrinks or what ever, unless you stop doing the plan your on and eat lower calorie foods more often
  • cassnessxox
    Options
    I can't eat any earlier in the morning unfortunately, I get to work at 7am and work through till 10am, sometimes later. The only time I can eat more often is between 3:30 and bedtime when Im not working.

But its all the time, I had a snack of dried cranberry, apple and sultanas around 4pm, its 5:20pm and my stomach is going nuts. This is when Im sitting at home and could eat anything I wanted if I didn't have the willpower. Its like I can't think of anything else though!

Ive been doing this about 3 weeks so far and I did it for a few months before that but had to stop because I couldn't afford it for a while. I never got used to it then either.

I just calculated my basal metabolic rate, apparently I burn over 1400 calories just sitting here doing nothing O_o surely that can't be right. It was recommended that I go on the 1200 calorie plan but that only had 2 snacks instead of 3 so it was even worse. I have a pretty active job so I wouldn't be eating near enough right? That sounds crazy...
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Stomach rumbling is often a good sign.... stomach is shrinking.

However if you also feel a bit light headed with the low cals, then perhaps your target weight is too low. Maybe have a bag of apples to keep in reserve as in between snacks? (Or something else that you like that requires chewing and time to eat but not too many calories - carrot sticks?)

Also remember drinks are your friend. Personally I love hot drinks - tea, coffee or a coffee substitute called Bambu. Make it, sit down at computer or with book and drink it slowly. Often that is enough to dispel the hunger.

I sometimes do fast days (where I just eat an evening meal) but then I'm not working & due to illhealth cannot exercise much. I find it is easier to do this than to restrict every day and every meal. Then I can eat a bit more at other times..... Remarkably the fast days are not hard to do - once you remember that your stomach telling you, that you will DIE without food is just plain wrong! LOL!

Good luck with it, you sound very committed, but I'm guessing that if the rumbling is still going on after 3 weeks that maybe you are aiming too low?
  • szonjakun
    szonjakun Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I don't know about that diet plan, but what about having something else for breakfast? When I have cereal for breakfast I get hungry really soon. Like within 2 or 3 hours, but when I have something like an oatmeal with berries or some kind of fruits, it fills me up for a good 4 hours. I don't know...it's just a suggestion. ^^
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    This might help explain why your stomach is grumbling: http://health.howstuffworks.com/human-body/systems/digestive/stomach-growling1.htm
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Nice link Orangesmartie - it also explains why the cup of tea thing works. The rumbles only last 10mins or so every hour, so the cuppa tides over that time allowing me to escape without eating and without feeling too hungry.
  • sadyel
    Options
    I can't eat any earlier in the morning unfortunately, I get to work at 7am and work through till 10am, sometimes later. The only time I can eat more often is between 3:30 and bedtime when Im not working.

But its all the time, I had a snack of dried cranberry, apple and sultanas around 4pm, its 5:20pm and my stomach is going nuts. This is when Im sitting at home and could eat anything I wanted if I didn't have the willpower. Its like I can't think of anything else though!

Ive been doing this about 3 weeks so far and I did it for a few months before that but had to stop because I couldn't afford it for a while. I never got used to it then either.

I just calculated my basal metabolic rate, apparently I burn over 1400 calories just sitting here doing nothing O_o surely that can't be right. It was recommended that I go on the 1200 calorie plan but that only had 2 snacks instead of 3 so it was even worse. I have a pretty active job so I wouldn't be eating near enough right? That sounds crazy...

yea thats right 1400 cals doing nothing, thats why you can eat under that in calories and lose weight alone by just doing that but lose more when you excersize, burning the extra calories my bmr is around 1500, try drinking green tea 0 calories and it stops my hunger
  • cassnessxox
    Options
    How do people survive on 1200 cal diets when they are burning 1400 without even moving!!??

1500 calories can't be too low right? There are only 3 plans, 1200, 1500 and 1800. 1800 would be far too much woudn't it? Im not losing weight quickly either =/

I can eat whatever I want for breakfast because Ive chosen to have my plan not include it. I would like to try something else for breakfast but I tend to have no time or effort at 5:30am lol I have avocado and eggs on toast on weekends. I used to have porridge or muesli but it wasn't much better.

Another question, on weekends I don't get very hungry, I barely feel my stomach grumble once and sometimes I don't even eat my snacks. Is it because I'm not doing much? Not using as much energy?
  • cassnessxox
    Options
    If Im burning 1400 cal by not doing a thing and eating 1500 cal, plus my busy job where I am on my feet almost 8 hours straight and .5 to 1 hour exercise, why isn't the weight falling off? =( In 3 weeks Ive only lost 1kg and that could just be a fluctuation
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Try drinking a glass of water, usually helps me as I find that I am actually thirsty rather than hungry.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about the particular brand of food you are eating, but the premade diet foods are notoriously low in healthy fats and protein and have an abundance of processed carbohydrates. Fat and protein make you feel full longer because they are digested more slowly and don't cause insulin spikes like refined carbs. I know it is time consuming but you'll be so much better off preparing your own food.
  • busymomto5PA
    Options
    If you are hungry I would just have a healthy snack in between like a piece of fruit or some vegetables. Maybe lowfat cheese stick or something. Healthy choices in small quantities won't hurt you it is the unhealthy ones that do. High protein high fiber diets always have gone far to keep me full and satisfied. I usually eat at least 60-70 grams of protein and 30 grams fiber. The protein goes by weight though. You can look up the formula online. MFP is usually pretty low. Hope this helps. Good Luck!:smile:
  • sadyel
    Options
    If Im burning 1400 cal by not doing a thing and eating 1500 cal, plus my busy job where I am on my feet almost 8 hours straight and .5 to 1 hour exercise, why isn't the weight falling off? =( In 3 weeks Ive only lost 1kg and that could just be a fluctuation

if you eat 500 calories less then your bmr (without any kind of excersize) you should lose a lb a week, i always lose alot more even when im not excersing, usually around 2/3lb a week some times more if i excersize a lot but id advise you up your intake if you are excersizing

http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/boost-weight-loss-by-knowing-your-bmr.aspx
  • sadyel
    Options

if you eat 500 calories less then your bmr (without any kind of excersize) you should lose a lb a week, i always lose alot more even when im not excersing, usually around 2/3lb a week some times more if i excersize a lot but id advise you up your intake if you are excersizing

http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/boost-weight-loss-by-knowing-your-bmr.aspx

im 5''4 and weight 141lb it says if i have a sedentary lifestyle...Daily Recommended Calories:

To lose about 1 lb. per week:

To maintain your weight:

if i am lightly active (i do a work out of an evening at my job im seated all day) then...

Daily Recommended Calories:

To lose about 1 lb. per week:

To maintain your weight:
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Stomach rumbling is often a good sign.... stomach is shrinking.

Your stomach doesn't shrink :)

http://women.webmd.com/pharmacist-11/stomach-problems
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I agree with AZKristi - sometimes it's more quality over quantity. Sounds to me like a lot of the foods you're eating are carby and therefore are likely to give you those big spikes and valleys so you feel ok for 2-3 hours and then suddenly you're famished! Not sure how much control you have over what you can have for snacks but I'd try to get some more fats and proteins in to help you feel more satisfied. Maybe eggs for breakfast and/or one of those snacks?
  • noifest
    noifest Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I get that too, I used to have cereal in the morning and I'd be starving when it hit 10:30. Most cereals are not very good in terms of healthiness and they are full of bad stuff - except for the wholesome porridge.

I 've been having a boiled egg in the morning with a tomato for a week now, that keeps me going until about 12 and I would have soup with ryvitas for lunch - that would keep me going until about 4 and my stomach starts to rumble again so I would snack on a few carrots, celery or those triangle of cheese in a packet and then i get home about 6 to have my 400 calories dinner. I have cups of tea and water through out the day. but by 10 my stomach starts rumbling again then I might have another cup of tea with a biscuit and then that would be it for the day.

like what everyone's been saying - your body will stop feeling hungry after like 2 weeks and eat more nutritious food to keep yourself going.

Good luck i hope you've found your way of dieting.
  • donnas144
    donnas144 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i would do ur own rather than buying. i just yhibk whrn u do your own u learn to make variations on what u normally eat. also if i didnt i would feel deprived and v restricted to not have the choice of what im eating etc. also this way you learn to make a lifestyle change not diet. thats just my opinion. i also think if your hungry...ea...low calorie snack....fruit/low fat yogurt or somethibg
  • donnas144
    donnas144 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    are you drinking enough? make a big effort to drink 8 glasses of water min. before during and after meqls esp
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I always listen to my body even if it means going a tad over. Maybe have an apple or a cup of grapes?