October is National Chili Month

Options
LMGreenawald
LMGreenawald Posts: 5 Member
Hi everyone, October is apparently national chili month, and I am a big fan of chili. I am hoping some of you will be willing to share either your favorite types of chili (e.g., bean/no bean, white chicken chili, etc) or recipes. I have decided to try and make as many different kinds of chili as possible this month. I am also aiming to keep them on the healthier side - I am trying to get back to eating healthier. Please feel free to share. Also, I am going to be keeping track of these recipes on my blog www.tuesdaynighboyfriend.wordpress.com, if anyone cares to see what I end of making and how it turns out. I am going to try and avoid "light/lite" foods for whatever it is worth. I prefer to just eat a little of the full fat variety (or none at all) to the light versions - just a personal taste preference. Other than that, I have no preferences, so please send along your recipes/suggestions!

Replies

• LMGreenawald
    Options
    Any suggestions?
  • whitelaurel
    whitelaurel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I desperately searched for this MOST delicious heavy vegetable chili my mom makes, but I can't find it anywhere! If I remember, I'll call her tomorrow and get the recipe. :) I need to make it myself now! And I'm sure you would absolutely love it. In the meantime, here's my mom's Southwest White Chili! Her recommendations/clarifications are in brackets. :) I wrote down the instructions in my awful shorthand, so I'm sorry if anything is unclear??

INGREDIENTS
    1 Tbsp. olive oil
    1 lb. boneless skinless chicken
    1/4 c. chopped onion
    1 c. chicken broth
    1 can green chilis (4 oz.)
    1 can Cannelli beans undrained (19oz)

SPICE BLEND
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1 tsp. [California style] garlic powder
    1/2 tsp. oregano leaves [Ciao blend]
    1/2 tsp. cilantro leaves [or parsley]
    1/4 tsp. ground red pepper [paprika]

INSTRUCTIONS
    Heat oil (in a big pot) and cook chicken 4-5 minutes. Remove chicken (but keep warm). Add onion to pan and cook ~2 mins. Stir in broth, spice blend, and green chilis. Simmer 30 mins. Stir in chicken and beans. Simmer 10 mins. [Garnish with Monterey Jack cheese.]

**Edit: My mom uses canned chicken for this recipe, like what you can get at Costco? :) If you bought it fresh or what have you, you'll probably have to adjust the prep and cooking time for the chicken. It should be in bite-sized pieces!
  • fieldeffect
    Options
    As luck would have it, I make the world's most awesome chilli, and better yet, this recipe makes 5 portions at only 340 calories each (It was a lot more, but after perfecting my chilli, I went on a mission to cut out every unneeded calorie that I could without compromising the taste). This is a truly no compromise chilli. Takes amazing, and your diet will thank you :)

All I ask is that anyone who makes it tells me how they got on :) And especially if they couldn't find any ingredients in their region, and what they substituted.

*** Nick's "Most Awesome Chilli Ever In The History Of Ever" (patent pending) ***

INGREDIENTS
    2 Onions, chopped (sweet onions if you can get them, or the equivalent quantity of shallots)
    1 400g can red kidney beans, drained
    1 400g can chopped tomatoes, drained
    100g tomato puree (tomato paste if you're in the states)
    500g lean beef mince
    2 Knorr beef stock cubes (or the best stock cubes you can find. These ones are the best)
    2 teaspoons chillis from a jar (or 5 chopped fresh bird eye chillis)
    2 teaspoons hot chilli powder
    1 teaspoon fresh mashed up ginger
    1 teaspoon fresh mashed up garlic
    2 heaped teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon ground turmeric
    3 bell peppers, roughly chopped
    3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

METHOD
    - Fry the chopped onions in the oil on a medium heat for 5 mins to soften them
    - Add cumin, turmeric, chilli powder, fresh chilli, garlic and ginger and stir up
    - Add kidney beans and stir up
    - Add beef mince, stirring it in until browned
    - Add chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, bell peppers and stock cubes (break the stock cubes up with your fingers into little bits)
    - Pour in a pint of cold water and stir up (it now looks like a murky watery soup)
    - Leave to simmer on a very low heat for at least 90 mins (it now looks/smells/tastes amaaaaaazing)

NOTES
    - If it is not thick enough for you after 90 mins, cook longer
    - If you want it to taste even better, add more water and cook for longer
    - You can add a *lot* more oil at the start to make it taste even better. the amount I list is the bare minimum to keep the calories low
    - Obviously scale up the chillis to make it hotter if you like really firey, but this is a good starting point
    - Really try to get those Knorr stock cubes, they are so much better than anything else. They have an almost clay like consistency
    - For the chillis, garlic and ginger, I use "Very Lazy" brand which they have here in the UK, amazing quality and keep for months and months.

Good luck.
  • LMGreenawald
    Options
    Let me know if you find the other recipe. Although the one you posted looks pretty good as well!
  • LMGreenawald
    Options
    I desperately searched for this MOST delicious heavy vegetable chili my mom makes, but I can't find it anywhere! If I remember, I'll call her tomorrow and get the recipe. :) I need to make it myself now! And I'm sure you would absolutely love it. In the meantime, here's my mom's Southwest White Chili! Her recommendations/clarifications are in brackets. :) I wrote down the instructions in my awful shorthand, so I'm sorry if anything is unclear??

INGREDIENTS
    1 Tbsp. olive oil
    1 lb. boneless skinless chicken
    1/4 c. chopped onion
    1 c. chicken broth
    1 can green chilis (4 oz.)
    1 can Cannelli beans undrained (19oz)

SPICE BLEND
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1 tsp. [California style] garlic powder
    1/2 tsp. oregano leaves [Ciao blend]
    1/2 tsp. cilantro leaves [or parsley]
    1/4 tsp. ground red pepper [paprika]

INSTRUCTIONS
    Heat oil (in a big pot) and cook chicken 4-5 minutes. Remove chicken (but keep warm). Add onion to pan and cook ~2 mins. Stir in broth, spice blend, and green chilis. Simmer 30 mins. Stir in chicken and beans. Simmer 10 mins. [Garnish with Monterey Jack cheese.]

**Edit: My mom uses canned chicken for this recipe, like what you can get at Costco? :) If you bought it fresh or what have you, you'll probably have to adjust the prep and cooking time for the chicken. It should be in bite-sized pieces!

Let me know if you find the other recipe. The one you posted looks really good!
  • LMGreenawald
    Options
    As luck would have it, I make the world's most awesome chilli, and better yet, this recipe makes 5 portions at only 340 calories each (It was a lot more, but after perfecting my chilli, I went on a mission to cut out every unneeded calorie that I could without compromising the taste). This is a truly no compromise chilli. Takes amazing, and your diet will thank you :)

All I ask is that anyone who makes it tells me how they got on :) And especially if they couldn't find any ingredients in their region, and what they substituted.

*** Nick's "Most Awesome Chilli Ever In The History Of Ever" (patent pending) ***

INGREDIENTS
    2 Onions, chopped (sweet onions if you can get them, or the equivalent quantity of shallots)
    1 400g can red kidney beans, drained
    1 400g can chopped tomatoes, drained
    100g tomato puree (tomato paste if you're in the states)
    500g lean beef mince
    2 Knorr beef stock cubes (or the best stock cubes you can find. These ones are the best)
    2 teaspoons chillis from a jar (or 5 chopped fresh bird eye chillis)
    2 teaspoons hot chilli powder
    1 teaspoon fresh mashed up ginger
    1 teaspoon fresh mashed up garlic
    2 heaped teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon ground turmeric
    3 bell peppers, roughly chopped
    3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

METHOD
    - Fry the chopped onions in the oil on a medium heat for 5 mins to soften them
    - Add cumin, turmeric, chilli powder, fresh chilli, garlic and ginger and stir up
    - Add kidney beans and stir up
    - Add beef mince, stirring it in until browned
    - Add chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, bell peppers and stock cubes (break the stock cubes up with your fingers into little bits)
    - Pour in a pint of cold water and stir up (it now looks like a murky watery soup)
    - Leave to simmer on a very low heat for at least 90 mins (it now looks/smells/tastes amaaaaaazing)

NOTES
    - If it is not thick enough for you after 90 mins, cook longer
    - If you want it to taste even better, add more water and cook for longer
    - You can add a *lot* more oil at the start to make it taste even better. the amount I list is the bare minimum to keep the calories low
    - Obviously scale up the chillis to make it hotter if you like really firey, but this is a good starting point
    - Really try to get those Knorr stock cubes, they are so much better than anything else. They have an almost clay like consistency
    - For the chillis, garlic and ginger, I use "Very Lazy" brand which they have here in the UK, amazing quality and keep for months and months.

Good luck.

You are going to challenge my ability to convert grams to pounds and ounces - although they do make internet applications for that? Do you use fresh ginger or can you use the already ground stuff?
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    I will be trying, any more out there?
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    We actually have a Chili Cook-off competition here in Southern NH... draws one hell of a crowd too!

I am a food purist though, when it comes to chili: it should never have beans, turkey, chicken.... old school is steak... I would definitely need to try to put it to paper.. I dont like recipes personally, things like this that are made from scratch tend to be a taste-as-you-go for the best flavors possible.
  • lunchlady1208
    Options
    BUMP!!
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Ooooo I wana try the different chilli foods!! love chilli lol
  • fieldeffect
    Options
    You are going to challenge my ability to convert grams to pounds and ounces - although they do make internet applications for that? Do you use fresh ginger or can you use the already ground stuff?

I don't use dried ground ginger, that doesn't taste very fresh. Obviously fresh root is best, but i'm far too lazy for that. I buy preserved fresh ginger in a jar, already cut into little strips
  • shaelgreene
    Options
    I actually hate chilli. I know, weird right? But gumbo is really good and it's sort of like a seafood chilli. o.O I think the only difference between the two is that gumbo has rice in it. So I suggest that you look up some sort of a gumbo recipe and leave out the rice.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried to make it yet... but the one from The Diner restaurant is ...err, was (they closed) to die for. Everyone loved it and they posted the recipe in the paper because it was in such demand. A recipe forum I belong to debated the ingredients to use... e.g. which is the best jerk seasoning... and was the ratio of flour to butter in the article a typo? So, I'm going to post the important highlights here. But, this is for The Diner on Sycamore's (and formerly The Diner on Sinclair's) Caribbean White Crab Chili. As soon as I figure out the gluten free conversion (now that I've gone GF for the flour, I may have to make this <g>)...

The jerk seasoning you choose to use, or make, is critical to the dish.

THE DINER’S CARIBBEAN WHITE CRAB CHILI

8 ounces (dry weight) black-eyed peas
    1/2 pound butter
    1 large yellow onion, minced
    1 red onion, minced
    1/2 pound flour
    12 ounces clam juice
    4 quarts water
    1/4 cup jerk seasoning
    Dash ground nutmeg
    1 cup heavy (whipping) cream
    1 1/2 pounds lump crab meat
    Salt, white pepper and cayenne peppe (to taste)
    FOR THE GARNISH:
    Flour tortillas
    Oil for frying

Rinse, soak and cook black-eyed peas until barely tender, according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

In a large heavy pot, melt butter, add onion and saute over medium heat until transparent. Add flour and stir constantly, about three minutes. Stir in clam juice and simmer two minutes. Pour in 2 quarts water and whisk until no lumps remain.

Add remaining water, jerk seasoning and nutmeg, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Do not boil.

Add cream and black-eyed peas, and cook 10 minutes longer, until peas are tender but retain their shape. Add crab meat and heat through.

Season to taste with salt, white pepper and cayenne.

To make garnish, cut tortillas into pie-shaped wedges and fry in hot oil until crisp. Drain and dust with jerk seasoning. Float two or three tortilla wedges on top of each bowl of chili.

Makes 12 to 14 servings
    Source: Diner on Sycamore in Over-the-Rhine. Chef Eric Scheffer

I think there is an error in the original recipe. It lists 1 pound of flour and 1/2 pound of butter. That's not a usual ratio of flour/butter for thickening. So I cut the flour down to 1/2 pound. Sorry, my details are a little sketchy, but I had cut the recipe in half too, so kinda hard to remember all the little details...

Ok, jerk seasoning recommendations:
    McCormick makes a Caribbean Jerk Seasoning. Good all around dry blend. Moderate heat. Nice balance of sweet and spice. Should be easy to find. Meijer's carries it around Cincy.

Helen's Tropical Exotics Jerk Seasoning. Good dry spice, little on sweet side. Mild heat.

Busha Browne's Jerk Seasoning. This comes in little jars and is a wet seasoning. Great flavor and it packs some heat! Little goes a long way. I also put just a dab of it in a couple of tablespoons of mayo to use on sandwiches. YUM!

And one to avoid is the Jerk Seasoning put out by The Spice Hunter. Lacks any sweetness, spice blend is poorly balanced.

I would try the McCormick and also look for the Busha. My two favorites.

And here is the original article for those who want to see it or read it, first a link, in case posting it doesn't work and then the image https://sites.google.com/site/scorpiolounge/crab.bmp:
    crab.bmp
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    First off chili has beans in it. If you make something that you call "chili" and it does not have beans in it then it is just flavored spaghetti sauce. There is an exception for hot dog chili but it must be designated as hot dog chili so there is no confusion.

Secondly, I have an awesome chili recipe I developed that has won awards, but I will not share the recipe on here as it is mine, all mine. I created it and developed it until I got it right. I reccomend you look at many recipies and then use your favorite parts of each of them to make one that is all your own.

Lastly, the other thing about my chili is since I mix hamburger and sausage it is not exactly healthy. I have tired to tweak it with chicken but haven't gotten it right so I may have to take it in a new direction to make a healthy version.
  • Doberdawn
    Options
    Secondly, I have an awesome chili recipe I developed that has won awards, but I will not share the recipe on here as it is mine, all mine. I created it and developed it until I got it right. I reccomend you look at many recipies and then use your favorite parts of each of them to make one that is all your own.

So you wrote to say you have a great chili and you won't share it. Poo on you. :-P *raspberries* phffffftttt
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options

So you wrote to say you have a great chili and you won't share it. Poo on you. :-P *raspberries* phffffftttt

I keep thinking if I share it the next thing I will know is someone is mass producing it and making a killing and I am still some poor working schmoe. I'll "share" it when someone wants to pay me for it. :bigsmile:
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Bump!!!
  • Doberdawn
    Options
    I haven't tried to make it yet... but the one from The Diner restaurant is ...err, was (they closed) to die for. Everyone loved it and they posted the recipe in the paper because it was in such demand. A recipe forum I belong to debated the ingredients to use... e.g. which is the best jerk seasoning... and was the ratio of flour to butter in the article a typo? So, I'm going to post the important highlights here. But, this is for The Diner on Sycamore's (and formerly The Diner on Sinclair's) Caribbean White Crab Chili. As soon as I figure out the gluten free conversion (now that I've gone GF for the flour, I may have to make this <g>)...

1/2 pound butter
    1 red onion, minced
    1/2 pound flour
    12 ounces clam juice
    4 quarts water
    1/4 cup jerk seasoning
    Dash ground nutmeg
    FOR THE GARNISH:
    Flour tortillas
    Oil for frying

Rinse, soak and cook black-eyed peas until barely tender, according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

In a large heavy pot, melt butter, add onion and saute over medium heat until transparent. Add flour and stir constantly, about three minutes. Stir in clam juice and simmer two minutes. Pour in 2 quarts water and whisk until no lumps remain.

Add remaining water, jerk seasoning and nutmeg, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Do not boil.

Add cream and black-eyed peas, and cook 10 minutes longer, until peas are tender but retain their shape. Add crab meat and heat through.

To make garnish, cut tortillas into pie-shaped wedges and fry in hot oil until crisp. Drain and dust with jerk seasoning. Float two or three tortilla wedges on top of each bowl of chili.

Makes 12 to 14 servings

I think there is an error in the original recipe. It lists 1 pound of flour and 1/2 pound of butter. That's not a usual ratio of flour/butter for thickening. So I cut the flour down to 1/2 pound. Sorry, my details are a little sketchy, but I had cut the recipe in half too, so kinda hard to remember all the little details...

McCormick makes a Caribbean Jerk Seasoning. Good all around dry blend. Moderate heat. Nice balance of sweet and spice. Should be easy to find. Meijer's carries it around Cincy.

Helen's Tropical Exotics Jerk Seasoning. Good dry spice, little on sweet side. Mild heat.

Busha Browne's Jerk Seasoning. This comes in little jars and is a wet seasoning. Great flavor and it packs some heat! Little goes a long way. I also put just a dab of it in a couple of tablespoons of mayo to use on sandwiches. YUM!

And one to avoid is the Jerk Seasoning put out by The Spice Hunter. Lacks any sweetness, spice blend is poorly balanced.

And here is the original article for those who want to see it or read it, first a link, in case posting it doesn't work and then the image https://sites.google.com/site/scorpiolounge/crab.bmp:
    crab.bmp

I just picked up my jerk seasoning... next weekend, I plan to make this for sure. <g>
  • Doberdawn
    Options

1/2 pound butter
    1 red onion, minced
    1/2 pound flour
    12 ounces clam juice
    4 quarts water
    1/4 cup jerk seasoning
    Dash ground nutmeg
    FOR THE GARNISH:
    Flour tortillas
    Oil for frying

Makes 12 to 14 servings

I just picked up my jerk seasoning... next weekend, I plan to make this for sure. <g>

Okay... I made this gluten free and dairy free... I had to make a few modifications and it was missing a little something... but, I fixed it...

For the flour, I used King Arthur's Gluten Free All Purpose. I did use equal parts flour and butter... not the typo excess ratio. I used Earth Balance dairy free buttery spread for the butter. I used Silk Soymilk Coffee creamer for the heavy cream. These subsitutions were done to make it GF & DF. Then, I added 1 Tbsp of 50% less fat real bacon bits per 2.25 cup serving to give the "missing" flavor. In the future, I'll probably just throw a ham hock in the chili when cooking it. But, this works on a per serving basis to fix it. Oh yeah, and I used "NoSalt" instead of salt.... so it was not too bad on sodium and the nutritional data came to 304 calories, 17 g fat, 42.5 cholesterol, 651.5 sodium, potassium 162.4, carbs 21.4, fiber 0, sugar 0, 14.8 protein, Calcium 4.6%, Iron 7.5% - including the added bacon bits.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    First off chili has beans in it. If you make something that you call "chili" and it does not have beans in it then it is just flavored spaghetti sauce. There is an exception for hot dog chili but it must be designated as hot dog chili so there is no confusion.

Lastly, the other thing about my chili is since I mix hamburger and sausage it is not exactly healthy. I have tired to tweak it with chicken but haven't gotten it right so I may have to take it in a new direction to make a healthy version.

Not true. Chili with beans is not real chili. Gross, man. Why do people ruin awesome chili with sh!tty beans?