P90X starting 9/10/12

Options
13»

Replies

• The_Dude
    The_Dude Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm doing P90X Classic. I had started the program about a year and 1/2 ago, lost 15 pounds but did not follow it very well when my schedule became very busy. Right now I have just started Recovery Week 1 (4th week into the program). This time around marks the first time I've gotten through the first 3 weeks without missing a day, this last week I even did X-Stretch on my day off. As of last weigh in which was 2 weeks ago I had already lost 5 pounds but I believe at this point it is somewhere around 10-15 lbs. I've notice subtitle differences in my body and I have lost 2 1/2 inches in my waist and an inch overall around everywhere else. I'll be doing a weigh in tonight and see how much further I've progressed.

Of all the workouts I'd say the Plyo and YogaX kicks my *kitten* the most. I couldn't do Plyo the first 2 weeks, so I did Cardio-X instead. This week I decided to try Plyo again and I was able to do it, mind you it wasn't pretty but the fact I was able to manage was a huge feat. YogaX is my nemesis because I have trouble with the first 45 minutes, not the rest is a cake walk, but the Vinyasas kill me. I know over time I'll get better at it but right now it is a massive struggle.

Welcome! Nice results so far! Yeah Yoga kicked mine today!

P90X day 11 workout - Yoga X checkin.

Got up 5:40am and busted out Yoga X this morning. Last night I had selective thinking asI was looking forward to getting some of my sore muscles stretched out but somehow ignoring that Yoga X is intense! I worked hard on this week and made improvements over last week but the cost of that was ending the workout feeling less stretched and relaxed and more like I just did resistance training. A big part of that is that for week 1 I didn't push myself at all on the long segment of the one leg moving poses that start with warrior III where today I tried my best on those. Sure enough just like my first time doing P90X those moves really caused my glutes and hamstrings to tighten up big time.

Maybe because I pushed so hard in ab ripper yesterday but WOW Yoga Belly 7 kicked my butt soooo hard! I had to pause multiple times in that routine and was really feeling the burn.

Nutrition is pretty on track today. I'm a bit light on calories with what I've eaten and planned to eat the rest of the day so I may do some extra protein powder. Macros are looking like they wil be 43/30/27 protein carbs fat. Yesterday I hit 49/35/16. Hitting 50/30/20 perfectly while still eating as much as I should is tough!
  • The_Dude
    Options
    Upon the completion of week 2 I thought I'd check in.

I've actually completed today's workout as well so I'm 15 days into the 90!

Things are going really good and I'm feeling great this morning. All workouts (including stretch X) have been completed in the mornings before I start anything else that day which has REALLY helped me stay dedicated!! I am NOT a morning person so it hasn't been easy but now I wouldn't trade it for the way I did P90X before by doing the workouts in the evening at all.

Day 12 was a bit of a scare because I tweaked a disc/nerve in my upper back that likes to flare up and cause muscle spasms that can last over a week. Good news is that it went away by today's chest & back workout and didn't prevent me from doing kenpo or stretch x over the weekend. I've decided to keep using the bands for pull up moves the rest of phase 1 to try to build up my body and avoid a repeat flare up.

As a remind we have a small group of us that have started in/around September if anyone else out there has started or is thinking about starting. We share tips and motivation. The group is called:

P90X starting September 2012

Bring it!
  • The_Dude
    Options
    Day 16 Plyometrics work out is DONE! I get two weeks before I have to do any dreaded jump knee tucks or rock star hops etc. Woohoo! Today was also the first Plyometrics workout that I was able to do straight through without pausing and without recovery drink during the workout. I workout first thing in the morning so in the past Plyo would quickly have me feeling drained but this morning I was able to push through and crush it!

Hope everyone else doing P90X in December is still working it!
  • rcryer631
    rcryer631 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started yesterday. As for logging in, if you have an iPhone or iPad for the next 2 weeks you can download a free app that lets you log your workouts.
  • The_Dude
    Options
    P90X day 19 check in

Legs & Back day today. I had an early work meeting (who does that on a Friday??) so I had to get up at 5:00am this morning to ensure I had enough time to do the workout including ab ripper. Legs & back went well. Was harder to compare the pull up progress because I switched from the pull up bar to bands to avoid aggravating my disc problem in upper/mid back. I have a black beachbody band though and put some distance between me and the mounting point so I was still getting a good workout in. Today one legged wall squats were brutal.

I thought for sure I was going to have to pause ab ripper so I could catch up today but somehow I managed to power through and do my second ab ripper in a row without pause but also raising my hands for the first 75 reps as well as doing a better job of keeping my arms relaxed during fifer scissors, wide leg things, and pulse ups. I also switched to two grabs on the leg climbers from three grabs. However, these have always been easy for me. I've also always done it with the relaxed leg bent which for me is way easier than laying it straight.

Another great workout!!

Food was pretty good. Seems like i can never get it perfect. Today macros were 45/35/20 but the carbs was misleading today as I tried the new Quest protein bar (without sugar alcohol) which have 22g of carbs but 18g of them are fiber so they really only have 4 "active" carbs whatever that means. If I take the 18 carbs out of fiber then I'm a lot closer to 30 for my carb macro.
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    Great work! Keep pushing play, give it your best and forget the rest.

Signed,

P90X Grad as of 9-20-12
  • The_Dude
    Options
    Thanks Kel

P90X day 20 check in

Today was Kenpo X and my shoulders were feeling it from earlier workouts. It makes such a huge difference in Kenpo for me if I act like I'm actually trying to hit someone with power in the punch or kick rather than just speed. Way harder workout that way and you have to be a lot more careful about your joints. But I finished the workout today sweating like crazy with it literally dripping off of me all over and my wife was barely "glistening" as she just tries to do the motions quickly rather than powerfully. I also got in over 14K steps today on my pedometer.

Food is where I got excited today. Not only did I nail my macros with a 51/30/19 day but I finally replaced the BBQ and can grill my own chicken again. And now that I did that and compared it to the chicken I was eating from trader joes... wow!! it was so unhealthy!!

TJ chicken highlights for 2 breasts:

total fat 9g
    sat fat 3g
    Cholesterol 170
    sodium 1260mg
    protein 54g
    calories 300

Cooking up my own (9.1 oz) using foster farms and some lowry marinade
    total fat 3.4g
    saturated fat 0
    Cholesterol 150
    sodium 270
    protein 59.8
    Calories 277

I'm looking forward to stretch X tomorrow :)

Bring it everyone!
  • The_Dude
    Options
    Wow four weeks down already!!! Did my workout this morning already so I'm 29 workouts for 29 days. I've done every workout including the optional stretch X on rest days.

I've been doing great on food until this past weekend too. We had a birthday dinner for myself with a lot of family over and before I even started P90X on 9/10 I picked last Saturday and Thanksgiving as "cheat" meals/days. This past Sat I ate my typical P90X food for breakfast, lunch and snacks but for dinner I just didn't cheat I went CRAZY lol! I ended up overeating to the point I made myself sick. The bright side of that is that I will be a lot less tempted to cheat again in the future (I think). The downside is that I gained 2.5 lbs.

But today is another day and week 5 has begun!!
  • tcemt
    tcemt Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Way to go and being consistent. I missed my weekend work outs, I got really busy and kept saying to myself that I'd do it as soon as I get done with shopping, running my mother around town, laundry, cleaning, cooking...and the list goes on and on. Today is a new day and chest/back is my workout.
  • ezzziii_candoit
    Options
    Thinking of starting it as i just heard about it!

Really scared though, looks so intense. I play ice hockey, so getting a bit more muscles and burning this fat away would really help me with my playing haha.

Have you guys purchased the videos or are they available online for free? Really not an expert of this thing as i literally found it today :)
  • The_Dude
    Options
    Thinking of starting it as i just heard about it!

Really scared though, looks so intense. I play ice hockey, so getting a bit more muscles and burning this fat away would really help me with my playing haha.

Have you guys purchased the videos or are they available online for free? Really not an expert of this thing as i literally found it today :)

Teh hardest thing about P90X isn't the intensity of the workouts but rather doing it 6+ days a week combined with eating healthy. Its a big time commitment to exercise and do all the food prep.

P90X can be pretty expensive but I got mine from my bro who bought it and let it collect dust for years before I took it.
  • The_Dude
    Options
    So this morning I took my day 30 measurements and pics!! I'm happy with the results so far though I sure hope the body fat % loss accelerates. Keep in mind that thanks to MFP I was within 2 lbs of my goal weight when I started P90X so this is more about body sculpting than weight loss. I've completed all 30 workouts including optional stretch X on "rest" days. I've stuck to the nutrition guidelines all 30 days except this past weekend when I ate over 5K calories for my bday dinner.

Body fat % - down 1.8% (8.5% decrease)
    Weight - down 3.2 lbs or 1.6%
    Chest - down 0.88" or 2.2% (hope this goes up at some point)
    Waist - down 1.5" or 4.2%
    Navel - down 1.13" or 3% (hope this continues to drop a lot)
    Hips - down 0.75" or 1.9%
    Butt - down 1.5" or 3.6"
    Thighs - no change
    Biceps - both up 0.25" (yay that is the right direction here)
    Calves - both down 1/8"
    Neck - no change

Pics from this morning came out crappy due to low light.

Front shot:
    Day 1:
    frontflexday0.jpg

After 30 days:
    frontflexday31.jpg

Side shot:
    Day 1:
    siderelaxedwlegsday0.jpg

After 30 days:
    siderelaxedwlegsday31.jpg

So when I saw my day 1 back pics I was grossed out by that "saggy old man back" staring back at me. It shocked me a bit so I'm very pleased with the 30 day results.

Day 1:
    backflexedday0.jpg

After 30 days:
    backflexedday31.jpg

This was enough progress to keep the motivation high!! Who else has 30 day results to share?

Bring it everyone!

Disclaimer: These pics remain my property and may not be used without my written consent.
  • Insanity2bSane
    Insanity2bSane Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Awesome job. Huge difference in only 30 days. Keep up the good work!:drinker:
  • The_Dude
    Options
    Week 5 is done!!! Did today's workout so Week 6 has officially started for me and that is 36 days straight of pushing play every day including the optional "rest" days.

Had a bit of a set back last Friday as I injured my shoulder. Aggravated an old sports injury. I was able to keep working out and haven't missed any workouts but Wednesday will be the true test when I have to do pull ups again.

Bring it everyone!
  • The_Dude
    Options
    Day 42 is done and another week is done! 6 weeks down now and 42 days of pushing play every single day without a single missed workout or stretch X. I'm excited and looking forward to the next 48 days :)
  • The_Dude
    Options
    7 weeks down, only 6 to go!! I've been fighting through an injury now for 2+ weeks but I keep pushing play every day. I've pushed play now 50 days in a row with no missed workouts including the optional stretch X on rest days.

I've fought through personal and business travel and lots of temptation but I'm sticking strong so far!!
  • The_Dude
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd check in for week 8 being one for this history books!! 56 days of pushing play every single day! I'm getting excited for my day 60 pics and measurements though I wont' be able to take pics until day 62ish as my wife is out of town. My back/shoulder injury made a lot of progress in the healing department during phase 2 recovery week which I'm thankful for. I haven't yet found out how much better it is because I haven't done today's chest and back workout yet. Broke my new golden rule of working out before anything else because I got a physical today and had to fast until the appointment. Working out on an empty stomach I can handle but not being able to eat afterwards... no thanks. So I still have to do tonight's workout.

Food was great for week 8. My seven day macro numbers were 42/39/19 P/C/F and for the week I was 269 cals under my goal on MFP.
  • The_Dude
    Options
    90 Days later

Measurements:

Day 1, 30, 60, 90
    Body fat % - 20.1%, 18.3%, 14.7%, 13.0%
    Weight - 197.6, 193.4, 185.2, 182.4
    Chest - 40.6, 39.75, 38.0, 37.75
    Waist - 36, 34.5, 32.5, 32.38
    Navel - 38.0, 36.88, 35.25, 34
    Hips - 38.6, 37.88, 36.75, 36.0
    Butt - 41.38, 39.88, 38.75, 39.0
    Thighs - 22.25, 22.25, 21.5, 21.63
    Biceps - 13.5, 13.88, 13.38, 13.25
    Calves - 15.19, 15.0, 14.5, 14.63
    Neck - 15.88, 15.88, 15.25, 15.5

Key changes:
    BF - 7.1% units down or 35.3%
    Weight - 14.2 lbs down or 7.2%
    Waist - 3.6" down or 10%
    Belly - 4.0" down or 10.5%

Chest - 2.9" lost or 7% (bummer)
    Arms - 0.25" lost or 2% (bummer)

The pics:

Front shot:
    Day 1:
    frontflexday0.jpg

After 30 days:
    frontflexday31.jpg

after 60 days:
    frontflexed.jpg

after 90 days:
    frontflexed90days.jpg

Side shot:
    Day 1:
    siderelaxedwlegsday0.jpg

After 30 days:
    siderelaxedwlegsday31.jpg

after 60 days:
    sidekw.jpg

after 90 days:
    side90days.jpg

Back
    Day 1:
    backflexedday0.jpg

After 30 days:
    backflexedday31.jpg

after 60 days:
    backflexed.jpg

after 90 days:
    backflexed90days.jpg

Reflecting on my P90X experience and goals.

Original goals: 1) improve core strength to eliminate chronic low back pain and 2) improve overall fitness to support wakeboarding, snowboarding, etc.

Conclusion: Goal 1) moderate improvement but not significant. I still suffer from day to day low back pain. I still have trouble with getting stiff during the day. I've noticed small improvements but not what I was expecting or hoping for. I did notice HUGE improvements in my ability to do P90X workouts and impacts to the workout from low back. Its funny, putting my shoes on while standing can still hurt but I suffer from zero low back pain during workouts such as ab ripper than wreaked havoc on my lower back in the beginning. Goal 2) I haven't actually done my favorite sports in the last 3 months but based on my 8 mile hike yesterday and a 13+ hour session on my feet at Disneyland a few weeks back I'm in much better shape. I also saw improvement in my good cholesterol readings. I'm going to say this goal was probably achieved.

Secondary goals: I really wanted to get a six pack. This did not happen and while I lost significant body fat I'm still a looong ways away from abs showing IMO.

So I will try a second round and try to get to 10% BF and then plan to up my calories to try and build a bit more lean muscle mass.
  • HeikkiLaukkanen
    HeikkiLaukkanen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Great job, way to follow through all the way, impressive results.