Bipolar NSV

Options
I realize this may not be along the same lines of many of the NSVs here but it was a big deal for me and I just wanted to share my experience. Sometimes when I shares these things and get them out it makes it easier for my mind to really recognize and accept them.

I am bipolar and I have episodes of hypomania and episodes of depression. During hypomania it is never difficult to exercise as I tend to have more than enough energy to spare and my outlook on the world is very positive. Unfortunately the depression is not so accommodating. Today is not a good day.

As I am sure other people with a mental disorder that includes depression will know, getting yourself to do any more than get out of bed before noon can be a real struggle. It's at times like these that it is easy to just say "screw it" and give up. On top of it all, I tend to think very negatively about myself and can even be abusive, trampling my self esteem in the process.

Today though I decided to trust that positive side of myself that made this commitment just over a week or so ago. Although I just wanted to sit and do nothing all day I told myself that I owed it to that other part of me and that once the depression had passed I would be disappointed in myself. Somehow I got myself started and made it through my third day of the 30 Day Shred program. Although I still feel depressed, a small part of me also feels proud and I know when I look back on it while in a better frame of mind I will be very glad I did it.

This has been a huge accomplishment for me. Thanks for letting me share.

Replies

• CLDKess
    CLDKess Posts: 40
    Options
    Good luck!!!!

I also, at times, lack motivation to get myself in gear!!! I have found that once I start doing something it gets easier to keep doing it.

Keep positive! I'm proud of you :)
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    Yes, huge deal. You should be really proud of yourself. Not easy at all to fight the depression and trust and listen to the healthy side of yourself. The more you do it, the more you will be able to do it and the better you will feel. Rock on!!!
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Great job! I wish more people would be understanding to how mental health issues affects our physical self.

Be very, very proud!
  • tsmith8
    tsmith8 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Great job! It is definitely an uphill battle with mental health issues.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    YAY!!!! SO PROUD OF YOU!

I can so relate - do you medicate your condition? I don't deal woth bipolar, but I do face bouts of serious depression at times. I also have no insurance so I cannot afford my $400/month meds. SO, I have begun taking St. John's Wort and it truly is as effective for me as my prescription (and only $30 per 90 days). I am not saying you should take any particular drug/supplement, but I do think the right med can help with all of those symptoms.
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    WTG!!!! i'm right there with you, hypomania with severe depression and this is a big NSV! congrats!!!
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Excellent for you! You *should* be proud of yourself...keep going!
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Great job! Definately a victory!!
  • juliette28
    Options
    WOW! I'm so glad you wrote... It really is a huge accomplishment that you were able to push past all the lethargy and despair that comes along with a depressive episode. CONGRATS!!! Keep up the great work! You can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Great job! I have bipolar and have found that even on my bad days making myself just take a 10 minute walk helps. You have every right to be proud of this NSV and I am proud of you too!
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    Way to power through! It's hard enough when a person is dealing with lack of motivation, never mind also struggling with bipolar or depression. I can't imagine how difficult that was for you to make the decision to get up and exercise. You should be so proud! :flowerforyou:
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I understand! Big pat on the back, and way to go!
  • katie070563
    Options
    Be really proud of what you have achieved...amazing so far. I have depression, so I understand what you have said. Good luck and keep going
  • LordByproduct
    Options
    Great job! i can relate and i find your post inspiring.
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Great Job! That is a huge NSV! Probably one of the best! We all have to learn how to make this lifestyle change and make it stick during life's regular ups and downs. Depression is a tough one! I know I've dealt with it, poorly, and I packed on the pounds. I had to hire a trainer to get me going when I wasn't able to motivate myself.

This journey is not just about the scale and weight loss, it is about finding new ways to work with the body God has gifted us.
  • shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have depression and anxiety. Thank you for your courage to share about your challenges. I am so impressed with you taking on the challenge of being more healthy, and congratulations to you for listening to the optimistic, positive voices.
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    HuRRaH for you :)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    That's awesome - proud of you!! I know how hard it is to ignore those depressive voices inside my head - You did great today!
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Great job! I wish more people would be understanding to how mental health issues affects our physical self.

Be very, very proud!

I agree. Its hard to explain it to people... but you did a great job. I always give myself a little YAY when I go to the gym when I just wanna lay around and do nothing... I feel better after...but its the going part thats hard!
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    That is huge! Congrats to you.
    Thank you for sharing this with us. Well done you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!