Alternative to Bread in Meatloaf?

Options
Like most traditional meatloaves, my go-to recipe features bread as a filler. What can I use as a grain-free or less processed alternative?

Replies

• littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Not grain-free, but less processed: rolled oats. They are whole-grain and really good for you!!
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Thank you, little_lily61! I recall my grandmother using oats in her meatloaves, but have shied away from it given the textural difference and my husband's aversion to some textures. ;) I wonder if processing the oats in a food processor (making oat flour, essentially) would help mask the substitution. Of course, this route would mean further processing.

You wouldn't happen to know the bread slice to rolled oats conversion, would you? Perhaps 1/4 oats (not ground) to 1 slice bread?
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I process the oats in a blender or food processor. As to how much measurement wise? I'm clueless. Try starting with 1/4 cup and see if the meatloaf is the consistency that you want! LOL (Sorry, I eyeball a lot and it useless for internet help to others)

What about processed (cooked) chick peas?
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I use rice.
  • wookie191
    wookie191 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I found a low calorie that used mushroom chopped up instead of bread in meatloaf. It really reduced the calories. Of course, you need to like mushrooms, although the flavor of them was not that strong.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Yes, I use rolled oats as well.
  • nbsg1980
    nbsg1980 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've always used oats... my family LOVES it!
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Growing up we always used rolled oats. Never thought that people put bread in there!

My Granny's meatloaf recipe:
    Meat
    Rolled Oats
    Raw Egg
    Ketchup
    Worchestershire sauce
    onions

And she never made hers in to a loaf-it was always formed in to a ball.

And for those of us who liked it , she would put Kraft cheese on top of the meatloaf balls.
  • Kkleo2102
    Options
    I use quinoa, and then to replace the meat (I don't eat meat), I use lentils.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I believe South Beach has a meatloaf that uses white beans.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Oats! I couldn't even tell the difference. Made a turkey meatloaf last night and it turned out great
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    rice sounds great..

i add a half a jar of salsa. because im lazy like that.. :)
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    crushed pork rinds.
  • Cntrygal81
    Cntrygal81 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My family's recipe has always used quick oats, and it's my favorite meatloaf ever!
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Why use a filler? I made a meatloaf on Sunday using bbq sauce (gluten free), celery, onions, carrots, one egg to hold things together, and two pounds of hamburger. I also added salt, pepper, and a bit of oregano. It was yummy.

If you insist on a filler, you can use rice, polenta, quinoa, or oats.
  • cllovesdw4eva
    Options
    Quinoa adds a real nice taste to meatloaf in addition to some amazing protein.

I tried it with mashed chickpeas.....didnt like as much.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    crushed pork rinds.

Oh hell yeah.
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Almond flour is great also!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Not grain-free, but less processed: rolled oats. They are whole-grain and really good for you!!

Yes, this ^^ is what I would use also. Any cooked grain (brown rice, barley, bulgar) should also work just fine. Or you could use quinoa if wanted a non-grain option, though I'm not sure it would work quite as well.
  • WendyBlendy
    WendyBlendy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    These are all great ideas...I will have to try them!!

As for me...I still use bread in my meatloaf. :/