Riced cauliflower recipes!

Options
bcf7683
bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
So I've gotten sick of figuring all of the carbs from regular brown rice into my diet most days, so I decided to give riced cauliflower a try.... It's actually not that bad. I just don't have a large list of recipes that it'd be good in.... So I was hoping that everyone would like to share some ideas =)

Some recipes that i have found to be pretty good....

1. Mix cauliflower rice with red onion... cook til done. Top with low sugar marinara sauce. yum.

2. Cook the cauliflower rice with some taco seasoning and use as regular rice in a burrito bowl. Also yum.

But that's all I got... ideas? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower rice, sounds delicious! I've never heard of it before.
  • bcf7683
    Options
    It's basically just cauliflower that's been diced up really fine in a food processor, to the consistency of regular rice. When you cook it, it absorbs the flavors of what you cook it with
  • coliema
    Options
    Ooo yum!

Do you make it yourself, or buy it?
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower rice = <3333

Mashed cauliflower is heaven, as well!
  • bcf7683
    Options
    Make it yourself. Just get a big head of cauliflower and chop it up in the food processor.

How do you make the mashed cauliflower??? Just process it until it looks like mashed potatoes? Or are there mix ins?
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    How do you make the mashed cauliflower??? Just process it until it looks like mashed potatoes? Or are there mix ins?

The way I make it is I take a whole head of Cauliflower (Or a bag of Frozen) chop it up and boil it until you can stick a fork in the thickest part and there is no resistance. Drain the water off, put it in a bowl and use a potato masher until it is the consistancy that I like. You can steam the cauliflower as well, some people don't like the excess water in the boiled version.

I usually add 1/4 cup Light Sour Cream, Garlic Powder and a bit of Salt to whatever I am mixing. I don't use milk in them anymore, they get to runny. If you like it really creamy a food processor is better than a potato masher.
  • coliema
    Options
    I have a recipe for Garlic Mashed Cauliflower on my blog on here. Makes 4 servings and 149 calories per serving.

I wasn't sure if the Cauliflower Rice was actual rice, or not. But now that I know, thank you :)
  • bcf7683
    Options

The way I make it is I take a whole head of Cauliflower (Or a bag of Frozen) chop it up and boil it until you can stick a fork in the thickest part and there is no resistance. Drain the water off, put it in a bowl and use a potato masher until it is the consistancy that I like. You can steam the cauliflower as well, some people don't like the excess water in the boiled version.

I usually add 1/4 cup Light Sour Cream, Garlic Powder and a bit of Salt to whatever I am mixing. I don't use milk in them anymore, they get to runny. If you like it really creamy a food processor is better than a potato masher.

Awesome! Thanks
  • MariAOK
    MariAOK Posts: 38
    Options
    When you make the rice do you cook it first and then put in the food processor or do the reverse? Just wondering?
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    That is a GREAT idea for when I've already had enough grains for the day! Yummy! I might try the cauliflower burrito bowl for supper tonight!
  • bcf7683
    Options
    When you make the rice do you cook it first and then put in the food processor or do the reverse? Just wondering?

To make the actual rice I don't cook it first. I just cut the head into chunks so it'll fit into a food processor. Chop it up until the little pieces are the size of rice grains.... A whole head usually make about 7-8 cups. I put it in a big bowl in the fridge for the week. I cook 1 cup at a time... usually chop up some onion and cook it in a pan with a little low-sodium veggie broth (you can use olive oil too.) Cook til softened and cover with sauce or however you want to use it.
  • MariAOK
    MariAOK Posts: 38
    Options
    Thanks so much. I am going to try this. :)
  • annglenn
    annglenn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hello

What is riced cauliflower ? I do a lot of recipes with spaghetti squash (cut in half, scoop out seeds and sprinkle water on them bake one half at a time) Cook time will vary depending on the size of the squash. You will know it is done when you can take a fork and rake it through and the squash will string easy like spaghetti. I will serve it like regular spaghetti or with chilled chopped tomatoes in the warm squash.
  • annglenn
    annglenn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Sorry I just looked up on the page and saw what you posted. Thank you sounds like a great idea.
  • keenercam
    keenercam Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I am definitely going to try that pizza recipe. Thanks for posting!
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    ooo never heard of that but sounds gd
  • bethf0103
    bethf0103 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love this idea!
  • DMOMofTHREE
    DMOMofTHREE Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    saving this for later, have half a head of cauliflower in the fridge