How often do you walk your dog(s) & for how long?

Options

Replies

• seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I have 2 dogs and I try to either walk them each day for 25-30 minutes, take them to the dog park, or use a bike attachment and take one at a time on a bike ride. There is only one out of four dog parks I will use where it is usually the same nice group of dogs and owners as I have seen and heard about awful experiences at the other dog parks.
  • nis75p06
    nis75p06 Posts: 114
    Options
    The joys of country life... My dog (rat terrier) is outside, with the run of 15 acres, when I am not at home. He spends most of his time either asleep under the porch, chasing cats, or barking at any delivery guy.

We go on "official" walks a once or twice a week, for a mile or two.
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I work from home, so except for my planned exercise for the day, walking the dog is the only time I'm moving during the day.
    I am fortunate to live across the street from a string of waterfront parks. So in the morning, we usually do a quick walk around the tennis courts which comes out to be a 1/3 mile. Sometimes we walk more... thru an arboretum and along the water. Which can be 1/2 mile to a 1 mile. But 1/3 is typical.
    At dinner time, we usually walk down to the dog park (where he can play for about 10-20 minutes) and then walk back along the water. That is just under a mile.
    At bedtime, I stumble down the stairs to let him pee out on the grass next to the sidewalk.. :yawn:
  • mcpjan
    mcpjan Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    1 have 2 small dogs. I walk them first think in the morning usually around 5 am for about 20 minutes. On days I am home at noon I walk them over my lunch for about 40 minutes and then we walk again around 6 PM for 30 minutes. I do most of these walks for me as I have a fenced in back yard.
  • januadiaboli
    januadiaboli Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I aim for twice a day, but that doesn't always happen. We've got a pair of English Springer Spaniels, who will only behave together on-leash with head collars; otherwise, they're just evil incarnate!

We usually go for half an hour or so, and I let them off leash at about the 5-minute mark (once we're out of town) so they can run in the fields to their hearts' content. At the moment, we've only been taking our male out as our female's yard-bound (she's in heat and I don't want to breed her until next year).

One more week, then we'll be back to normal until the snow flies. We taper off to one walk a day once it gets below -20C, then switch them to running on our treadmill once it hits about -35C or so ... that's the point at which neither they nor I want to be outside at all!
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I am curious about something. I have a 3-year-old Boxer who has a lot of energy. I've never felt that simply walking him on the leash meets his exercise needs at all. It's better than nothing, but a walk just doesn't seem to do it for him. I usually walk him over to a school where he runs and fetches the ball, or I take him to the dog park, or the lake to swim, or take him running with me with some off-leash time at the end.

He also loves to wrestle and play with other dogs, so if he gets to do that inside, we don't have to go outside.

Cooper has to be able to run at full-speed to really get worn-out.

Does anyone else feel this way?
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I've got 2 staffies, one rescue who especially bounces off the walls, nipping our ankles if we skip a day of walkies! At the mo walk them for an hour a day, often a bit longer on a Saturday. But I'm out of work at the mo, while in work it tends to be 20-30 mins each evening.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I aim for 3.5 miles every day. Which takes us about an hour, sometimes more, sometimes less, depends on how much we run and how many doggy friends we meet. I used to take him out in the evening too for another mile, but he's very protective of me after dark and he will bark and lunge at anyone who he thinks is too near me. This is entirely my fault, I'm very nervous after dark because I was almost killed in a viscious and unprovoked attack from a gang of youths after dark once. So we both stopped. My hubby sometimes does the night walk, and Paws is much nicer with him at night, but I didn't like it and pushing through it only seemed to be making Paws as nervous as me, so evenings are either out in the garden or out with my husband.

Sometimes we go further than the 3.5 miles, but we usually go the same route around our local park, which is where the random mileage comes from. Sometimes I just take him onto the field behind the house (although that field put me in hospital over the summer, so we haven't been since) and I let him off lead, then we don't stay out for any distance or time, we run and play until he gets bored/wants his dinner. He gets fed when we get in unless we plan on being out for any substantial length of time.
  • dalana84
    dalana84 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I walk my guys (2 pitties) twice a day, sometimes 3 since my toddlers are walk obsessed lol. Also work them in agility and rally. They are both very active and I cannot even imagine what things would be like if they didn't get out and about. Ive had so many clients call about "problem" and "destructive" dogs and most of the time when I ask about their activities during the day I get "well I work all day so Fido is home alone/in his crate. Sometimes we walk on the weekends. :noway: Every dog should get out and have a chance to get a great "burn" just like we do!
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    We don't walk the dog any more. We have a fenced in yard, and he goes to doggie day care once a week for socialization and exercise. He does okay walking on the leash, but as soon as he sees a car or another person out, he's off and I can't hold him back. Hopefully we'll be able to work on it again in the future.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have two dogs. During the week I try for two 30 -45 minute walks a day (early morning/evening). On the weekends I shoot for three 30 - 45 minute walks a day (morning/midday/evening).
  • dalana84
    Options
    I am curious about something. I have a 3-year-old Boxer who has a lot of energy. I've never felt that simply walking him on the leash meets his exercise needs at all. It's better than nothing, but a walk just doesn't seem to do it for him. I usually walk him over to a school where he runs and fetches the ball, or I take him to the dog park, or the lake to swim, or take him running with me with some off-leash time at the end.

He also loves to wrestle and play with other dogs, so if he gets to do that inside, we don't have to go outside.

Some dogs are higher energy and have higher drive than others. While a nice walk around the block may be perfect for an older, laid back breed a younger dog or high drive/energy dog needs to be able to get out and really move it in order to feel their best. Challenging those dogs is also great for them. Find some cool tricks and change it up or look into an agility class if that's something you can fit in, guarantee you'll both LOVE it!
  • kellyg891
    Options
    I walk mine almost daily. On really cold/rainy days she usually just goes out in the yard. We walk varying times and distances but usually 45 min to an hour and around 3-4 miles. Her favorite part is drinking out of the river though! :happy:
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    1-2xs a day? Do you have a yard? A friend who lives in an apt. Walks her's at least 3xs a day!
    I would think dogs need to pee more than 2xs a day? Most of the dogs i've had growing up did! Even the smallish terrier. Maybe you have an ankle high dog?
  • dalana84
    Options
    We don't walk the dog any more. We have a fenced in yard, and he goes to doggie day care once a week for socialization and exercise. He does okay walking on the leash, but as soon as he sees a car or another person out, he's off and I can't hold him back. Hopefully we'll be able to work on it again in the future.
    Look into clicker training and redirection for the car issue. You can find some great exercises online if you don't want to work with a trainer.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I have a golden and it depends on how long I walk him the first time in the morning as to if he gets a second walk at night PLUS if he's well enough to walk a 2nd time or not. He has RA in his legs and they tend to swell up really bad especially in hot weather. Today he was perky and we got 30 minutes in this morning and I hope to get another 30 in tonight. We walk at a very brisk pace. No such thing as a leasurly walk for us. :happy:
  • Mommyfate
    Mommyfate Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I walk my dog at least once a day for 40 minutes. The majority of it is uphill. I've been babysitting another dog for a friend and I do walk them together. And during the summer we take him to the lake and go hiking and he fetches sticks out of the lake while my husband is fishing. =) I bought him a doggy sweater for our winter walks!
  • nefbaker
    Options

I have owned Dobermans for over 20 years. Get a book on tricks - spend 15 to 20 minutes every day working on obedience and tricks - a lot of positive reinforcement - I promise you, it will wear them out. No different than days for us where we are learning a lot - it takes energy. So not only will you wear out your dog, you will have a better behaved one at the end of the day. :)
  • mckval
    mckval Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    We have two Siberian Huskies. We run them in the morning (average, about 4+mi) and then a walk in the evenings (1.5mi). A tired husky is a happy husky.
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have just one dog - he and i go for 45 minutes to an hour for a walk or run every morning, and then another 30-45 minutes walk at night with the little guys - that one's usually slower since i inevitably end up carrying the toddler (too big to sit in the stroller, to small to not get tired)... and, for a springer spaniel, he is the most laid back dog i've ever met... since i've only had him for a couple of weeks i'm hoping that means he's a happy dog (all the research i've done says yes)...