How often do you walk your dog(s) & for how long?

Replies

• histogal99
    histogal99 Posts: 45 Member
    I'm not very consistent with our pooch. You have to walk him in the street or you'll be stopping every mailbox for the hiking of the leg.
  • I not only walk my dog, but two of the neighborhood dogs as well. The owners love it and pay me to do it. It's easy and I'm going anyway so I might as well make it worth my while in the wallet as well! I have started to jog during my walks so the dogs absolutely love that. I also have a large pit bull/white lab mix that I take separately every other day. He trots next to me while I bike around. He gets exercise and SO DO I! WIN, WIN!
  • that is no lie! huskies NEED to run!
  • joeykat16
    joeykat16 Posts: 81 Member
    I have a Dachshund and a Siberian Husky. M-F they get one walk a day. I have to take them separately because they go at different speeds. My Dachshund goes for 20-25 mins at a leisurely pace and my Siberian Husky generally goes for about 45-60 mins speed walking. I started C25K 2 weeks ago and now on MWF my Siberian goes with me. He loves to run especially now that the weather is getting colder. On the weekends though they get 2 walks a day, one in the morning and one in the evening.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    I am curious about something. I have a 3-year-old Boxer who has a lot of energy. I've never felt that simply walking him on the leash meets his exercise needs at all. It's better than nothing, but a walk just doesn't seem to do it for him. I usually walk him over to a school where he runs and fetches the ball, or I take him to the dog park, or the lake to swim, or take him running with me with some off-leash time at the end.

He also loves to wrestle and play with other dogs, so if he gets to do that inside, we don't have to go outside.

Cooper has to be able to run at full-speed to really get worn-out.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Yes. I think you're right, especially about high energy breeds like Boxers.
  • joeykat16
    joeykat16 Posts: 81 Member
    We have two Siberian Huskies. We run them in the morning (average, about 4+mi) and then a walk in the evenings (1.5mi). A tired husky is a happy husky.

Truth! My Husky is sooooo happy after a nice long run/walk. A tired husky equals a happy relaxed owner ;)
  • peter236uk
    peter236uk Posts: 140 Member
    We take our dog out twice a day for around 40 minutes each time every day wind,rain or shine
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    No offense to your friends....but those who don't walk their dogs, shouldn't have dogs period. They should have hamsters or cats. Walking a dog is part of the responsibility of having one unless you have a really big yard they have more than enough room to exercise in, but they still need socializing and change of environment.

I also shoot for twice a day.....but it doesn't always work out that way. The morning walk is usually about 20 minutes, the after dinner walk is usually about 40 minutes. If we can't walk them at all for whatever situation comes up, we try and make up for it the next day with a longer walk.
  • dalana84
    dalana84 Posts: 75 Member

I have owned Dobermans for over 20 years. Get a book on tricks - spend 15 to 20 minutes every day working on obedience and tricks - a lot of positive reinforcement - I promise you, it will wear them out. No different than days for us where we are learning a lot - it takes energy. So not only will you wear out your dog, you will have a better behaved one at the end of the day. :)

^^^ this!
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    I have two dogs and we walk them every day. I also run with them 2-4 times a week (just depends on the weather and if I'm training for a race). They are always together. Our shortest walk is about 25 minutes but we often go a lot longer.

We also currently have a foster dog. It's hard walking 3 alone but my husband and I both do it if the other is not around. I actually turned down a family for my foster dog because they woman said that they will never walk the dog - ever. Seriously? dogs need to be walked.
  • yourenotmine
    1-2xs a day? Do you have a yard? A friend who lives in an apt. Walks her's at least 3xs a day!
    I would think dogs need to pee more than 2xs a day? Most of the dogs i've had growing up did! Even the smallish terrier. Maybe you have an ankle high dog?

Is this comment for me (OP)? Yes, I do have a yard, and they go out there more often than twice a day. I'm not really sure what you're getting at with the terrier comment, though. The size of the dog, just like the size of the person, does not dictate how often they need to urinate.
  • jedrai
    jedrai Posts: 13 Member
    I agree with the poster who said that people who have big energetic working dogs like mastiff mixes have no business with these dogs if they cannot walk them daily. That is plain abuse. I have a mastiff mix and he gets walked about twice a day. All my kids are required to walk the dog, so between me and the kids, he gets an hour to an hour and a half of walking a day, no matter what the weather, unless its lightning or raining heavily or a blizzard.
  • 8Spokes
    8Spokes Posts: 35
    I have 2 big dogs we walk them every morning for 1 to 1 1/2 hours then at night we try to take them for a bike run, they love it

We also have two big dogs (45lbs and 65lbs). Runs and bike rides (we have a nifty bike attachment for them) are the most effective because they're high energy. With those two options we only really need to be out for 30-45 min and they're satisfied.

When we do walks, we shoot for at least 1 hr a day or twice a day for 30 min. I can't walk both the dogs by myself simply because it's too distracting for me. :p I treat our walk time as opportunity to train, so one on one is what I prefer.
  • jesp1216
    jesp1216 Posts: 100
    I have a long haired chuahaha, walk her at least twice a day, but the time varies as she decides when she is done (she either sits down and will NOT move, or she turns around and tries to start walking home!) she is quite lazy :/ im trying to get her more active though!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    I live in the country on land... so im lucky enough that i get to open the doors for them to pee & they scratch on the door to come back inside. (not so lucky for someone trying to lose weight, but lucky for them. lol)

Im glad my dog has never had to be caged or leashed. But, im thankful for owners who do that for their safety! (not for owners who keep them that way 24/7.
  • yourenotmine
    No offense to your friends....but those who don't walk their dogs, shouldn't have dogs period. They should have hamsters or cats. Walking a dog is part of the responsibility of having one unless you have a really big yard they have more than enough room to exercise in, but they still need socializing and change of environment.

I believe this too. And most are not my friends, so no worries. lol :)
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    I have two daschunds... Pancho (6 yrs) and Buddy (4 years) - and we generally shoot for an hour walk a day. The speed is entirely up to them, when we stay in the neighborhood they tend to putz along a sniff alot. When we go to the park or the cemetary they drag my butt all over the place chasing squirrels, running around. They're good boys, strong. I had a put too up until about a month ago (had cancer :sad: ) and he used to do an hour too but if it was just me walking all three, we did it at his pace which was slow. If ex or big sis was with me, we could walk at separate speeds.

I read once that in terms of health... small dogs need a brisk 20 min walk a day, larger dogs at least 40.
  • laurabossart
    laurabossart Posts: 11 Member
    I walk my 2 big older dogs on a leash in my neighborhood for as long as they can handle it, which is now about 15 minutes a day. Sometimes together, sometimes separately. I have had loose dogs run up to us and was afraid someone would get hurt. I had quit walking them until I found some pepper spray at Ace hardware. I now feel safe enough to walk them even after dark. My daughter told me of a friend who was walking his dog on a leash, when a small dog attacked and his bigger dog bit it, killing it. The cops came the next day and took his dog away & had it put down. He was a 2 time Iraq vet who needed his dog for PTS. It broke my heart and that is why I got the pepper spray.
  • ImprovingEla
    ImprovingEla Posts: 396 Member
    I have a brown Labrador who just turned one.
    I try to walk her for at least 30 Min a day, but I found that it only asks physical presence, so a while ago we had a bit of a problem with her, beacuse she simply was bored.
    Now we also play hide and seek with her, put some of her food in a ball, which she has to roll around to get her food!

She seems to be happy now and so are we... every dog is different, had to find that out the "hard way" (never had to buy so many shoes in such a short time, blame is on us though not the dog!):laugh:
  • yourenotmine
    I live in the country on land... so im lucky enough that i get to open the doors for them to pee & they scratch on the door to come back inside. (not so lucky for someone trying to lose weight, but lucky for them. lol)

Im glad my dog has never had to be caged or leashed. But, im thankful for owners who do that for their safety! (not for owners who keep them that way 24/7.

Lucky dogs! I wish mine had more opportunity to roam a bit.

Respectfully, I don't think that caging (crating) or leashing are bad things. In fact, I generally think it is an owner's responsibility to teach their dogs things like how to walk on a leash, and how to behave in public, etc. I work in a vet's office, so I see a lot of animals who are given up because something happened to their owner. It's much harder to adopt out an animal in a shelter when it is an adult with no manners.

Again, no disrespect meant, nor did I mean that your dog has no manners. It's just something that I think people don't consider very often.