Pre-logging Food Diaries

Options

Replies

• Itsme_Mary
    Itsme_Mary Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do pre log. It help me stay, not have to guess, I go back and forth with staying on it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    How many of you do this? I think it's interesting when I see others pre-logging their meals and snacks in, I guess it does give you an idea of what your calorie intake will be for that day. My question is, do many of you actually end up eating what you've entered? And do you find it easier to have all of this planned out beforehand, than deciding what you're eating at every meal right then and there?

I have started trying to plan better, which means pre-logging. On *most* days that I pre-log, I eat exactly as planned. If I don't then I use the "copy meal" feature and move my plans or simply delete and change it, depending on the circumstances. I have moved dinners around on a few occasions. Sometimes I change my plans just to hit my macros better.
  • academy73
    Options
    I pre-log if I'm concerned about what a homemade dinner meal will bring in calorie wise. Then I know ahead of time how to prepare it or how much I can have.
  • Palio75
    Palio75 Posts: 72
    Options
    I preplan. It makes it a lot easier. I also have all the food premaid though.
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    xSCiNTILLATEx79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I pre log often - my best days seem to be when Im this organized. If I just go with it I usually hit max or a little over. I feel my food choices are wiser too when I think ahead.
  • sniegparslina
    sniegparslina Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It really helps! Well, as now I've started to take my dinner with me, not randomly buy something, it helps me to understand how much and what should I eat/take! And also every day I'm trying to leave some 120 calories for something unexpected, of course, this is not always working, but for the days I can plan before - perfect! And then everything becomes better :)
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Good question!! I try to pre-log as much as possible but I do find myself deviating from what I planned. However if I do eat this and not that I will change my diary. I do like to pre-log to challenge myself to stick with the plan.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I pre-log, if it's entered, I eat it. It helps me figure out what I have left if I know I'm going out for dinner with a friend or on the weekends when I'm with my boyfriend I don't stress as much. That way I know what I can have for snacks
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I pre-log on work days because I will eat the same thing a lot of times. I also usually already know what I'll make for dinner so I'll pre-log it too. On the weekends I usually don't cause I don't plan it out.
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have been easing into a very-low-carb eating plan, and pre-logging helps me make sure I am meeting my goals for the day. I track both carbs and fiber so that I can figure out my net carbs, and since my protein is so high I often have to readjust or add something in order to get it all in without going over somewhere else. I find that when I put in my whole day's plan and they survey the results, that sometimes I can do things better (like trading salmon for chicken at dinner if I am high on fats, or leaving out a fruit if I am high on carbs). Getting all of the details worked out in the morning makes me feel really in control of my day, and I find that I am pretty unlikely to deviate. :)
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    How many of you do this? I think it's interesting when I see others pre-logging their meals and snacks in, I guess it does give you an idea of what your calorie intake will be for that day. My question is, do many of you actually end up eating what you've entered? And do you find it easier to have all of this planned out beforehand, than deciding what you're eating at every meal right then and there?

I do this to plan my meals and to see if I need to add more cardio to my daily exercise in order to stay within my goals.
    I did this for Thanksgiving last year and managed to stay under calories!
    Full disclosure: I often deviate, but I always log whatever I end up eating at the end of the day.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I pre-log a lot of times but I also prep my meals for the week on Sunday, weighing portions and such! :) I leave room for snacks when I do but for the most part I know on Sunday what I'll be eating M-F for breakfast, lunch and dinner...the weekends get a little hectic though!
  • tasiamere
    tasiamere Posts: 233
    Options
    In the first two months I pre-logged Always! This was the only way I could make sure I had a plan of attack for the day. As I gained more self control and awareness I'm able to wing it and mix it up a little but on a day I know I'm having a busy day or special gathering I try to pre-log.
  • LifeJacketWaterJogger
    Options
    i pre log all the time its easier to stay on track that way for me!:blushing:
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    If I have consumed a larger than normal portion of my calories by suppertime, I will prelog what I will eat for supper, to make sure I don't go over on calories. I have found that extremely helpful!
  • jennk221
    jennk221 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I find it very helpful to log my food in ahead of time...I definitely stick to it much better when I have everything pre planned.
  • slackerwoman
    slackerwoman Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I do it sometimes. I did it today because I knew what I had planned for dinner. It makes it easier to stay in your macros too if you know ahead of time what you are going to eat and stick to it. You also know if you have some room leftover for a cookie. :)
  • cjeanthiele
    Options
    I "pre-log" snacks I fix ahead and take with me. It's easier to do this while the ingredients are fresh in my head. And yes, I eat them
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    I prelog on the days i bring all my food to work. If those are my only options that's what Im eating. Lately I've been doing it more as a way to restrict my mindless snacking.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I pre-log so that I know what calories I have to play around with!

Normally the night before I log the major meals- for me it tends to be dinner and breakfast- then work out what calories I have left to work out what I can have for lunch.

I do it because I like to plan- but I'm also less likely to go astray from it. I can say 'well- I want room for a chocolate bar, so I'll have this for lunch and free up some calories or work it out before hand' rather then it being seven or eight at night after a hard days work totting up everything I've had only to find that chocolate bar put me over!