What's the point?

Options
I'm so frustrated. I have been at this for a year and a half. I have seen my doctor (general practitioner) and nutritionists. I've talked with personal trainers. I just want to give up. It's getting ridiculous.

I weight 270 lbs. I have weighed (with about a 5 lbs fluctuation) for a year and a half. I have tried everything. I have cut carbs, upped protein, started going to the gym, eaten 1200 calories and less (on doctor's orders), eaten closer to 1800-1900 calories, eaten back my exercise calories, not eaten them back...

I KNOW what to do to lose weight. I DO what I need to do to lose weight. And I'm not losing a dang thing. I'm to the point where I am obsessing about it. I obsess about food and workouts. I don't know what to do anymore, and it's getting old.

I haven't lost inches, I haven't lost pounds, and my clothes don't fit better. I don't feel better, I don't have more energy, and my work outs just make me angry and depressed.

I guess there is no real point to this post. I'm just so upset by all of this, and I know my husband is sick of hearing it all.

Replies

• Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid tested? Have you been tested for PCOS? Both of these can and do cause weight gain.
  • natashamier
    natashamier Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My doc did one of the two thyroid tests. It was normal. She won't do the other, though. I need to see an endocrinologist. I haven't been tested for PCOS. I've brought that possibility up to her, though.

Also, as an aside, I am currently on Metformin and Wellbutrin.
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid tested? Have you been tested for PCOS? Both of these can and do cause weight gain.
    I agree. It sounds like it's not you, but something hormonal Don't give up and even if you don't lose the weight, you know the healthier lifestyle is going to help in the long run in combatting heart disease, cancer, etc.
  • MonkeyxLover
    Options
    I have insulin resistances which makes me gain weight. I went to a diatician and she told me to eat more. I was put on slimming pills and they didn't work so I know exactly what you feel.
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Have you not lost ANYTHING since the very first moment you started dieting or have you been on a plateau for a 1.5 years?

because if you have lost weight then something has changed since then, and if you have NEVER lost weight - there is definitely a medical condition or something else going on.
  • katie070563
    Options
    Agree with Nikki31104...these are what crossed my mind too
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Start by filling in your About Me and putting some kind of pic in the pic box :flowerforyou:
  • natashamier
    Options
    I have not lost. I had my daughter in January almost two years ago. I gained 12 lbs during the pregnancy. Then within three months, I gained about 30 lbs, even though I was absolutely not eating enough for that to happen. Since that gain, I have not lost anything (again, other than the up and down about 5 lbs that I'm assuming is water weight since it doesn't consistently stay down).
  • jzrharv
    jzrharv Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know, other than health. But in general, it can be done. I started at your weight and at twice your age (granted, I've got that testosterone thing going in my favor, but still) and have gotten in the neighborhood of where I want to be after nine months. For me, this 10 point plan worked:

1. Record everything, even that stick of gum or that one spoonful of ice cream or that stalk of celery. Record it all, immediately (nothing like whipping out your Droid while having a beer). If it's not in the data base, search-engine the item and the word calories. Or find a surrogate in the database (Chick-fil-s southwest salad for a roast chicken salad you had at the local, non-chain eatery) and when in doubt, always estimate higher.

2. See #1.

3. Exercise to the best of your abilities and DO NOT eat all your calories back (half, okay; all, not so hot). When in confronted with conflicting data (elliptical trainer says one value, MFP says another) choose the lower value to record.

4. Do not "cheat" on your way down, it can get habit forming. See #2.

5. Have your settings, at least till you reach your half-way point, to lose (not loose, that's what you clothes are supposed to become) 1.5 lb per week. Then maybe bump it to 1 lb/week.

6. See #2.

7. Mildly obsessing over your diary is a good thing. An obsessive-compulsive personality (what the slobs call "anal") works in your favor here. Let your inner OC run wild on MFP diary recording.

8. Note what foods/eating habits tend to slow you down (salty foods and fluid retention, for example). Work your diet to work for your goal.

9. Only check the scale once a week. Do not hop on every day.

10. Obey the limits. When the calorie max is reached, that's it, you're done. No more. Best to plan out what you're going to eat and pre-load your diary whenever you can. That way, you see where you're going for the day and can make modifications on the fly that work within your limits ("If I have this mocha at lunch, I can't have my Capt. Morgan and Coke Zero tonight,,,hasta la vista Starbucks").
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I have tried everything. I have cut carbs, upped protein, started going to the gym, eaten 1200 calories and less (on doctor's orders), eaten closer to 1800-1900 calories, eaten back my exercise calories, not eaten them back...

In a year you've changed your diet and exercise almost once a month? You need to find a balanced plan and STICK with it. At least 4-6 weeks before you even consider changing your plan. It takes consistancy and dedication.

I suggest you start here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    And I'm not losing a dang thing. I'm to the point where I am obsessing about it. I obsess about food and workouts.

Obsessing is not good for anyone. You have to make changes that you can stay with. If you hate your workouts, youre not going to do it very long. The same with your food, if you don't like what you're eating, you're not going to want to eat it.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    ^^^ this exactly

Dont lose hope. You may be getting healthier on the inside to although its not happening on the outside yet. I agree with everyone who says log every single item of food.
    Log your exercise last thing that way you dont think youve got extra calories to eat.
    Have you been checked for diabetes as well? And id def get checked for PCOS too :)
  • natashamier
    Options
    Calorie intake has been changed, by my doctor, three times. Not once a month. Yes, I change what specifically I eat... that is where the cut carbs/up protein comes from.

I'm not a newbie at this. I have been at this for a long time. It is so frustrating to hear about how I must not know what I'm doing because I listed the things I have done. Honestly? At my height and weight any ONE of the things I have tried should have resulted in SOMETHING. And none of them have.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I'm really sorry you are having such a hard time. If your post is acurate, then the problem has to be medical. Keep searching for the answer. In the meantime, keep eating healthy and exercising. If you are maintaing on your current low calorie, then you will likely just gain more if you give up. The point is your health, and even if you don't lose weight the healthy food and exercise will likely improve your overall health.

I know a lot of people on MFP cringe (to put it mildly) at the thought, but has your doctor talked to you about weight loss surgery?
  • br2012
    br2012 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Like Rachel said, I'm thinking consistency is the key. Nothing is going to work if your body knows its temporary. The body is an amazing machine that will try its hardest to maintain status quo. It didnt take you a month to get where you are and it wont take a month to take it off. You need to maintain your new lifestyle long term so your body gets the point that you are going to be a lean machine!

Totally stinks to not have the scale reward you each and every day but if it were easy everyone would be thin. Today is the first day of the rest of your life. It wont be easy but MFP and exercise everyday will not do you wrong.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    I feel for you! Weight loss hasn't be in my cards either. I know my diet isn't perfect, but my calories aren't obscene and my exercise level is decent. My doctor would only do the TSH test at my last physical and that came back normal, so all she says is keep at it. And I'm thinking, is that all you can offer for advice? If I hadn't been thin before my kids came, I don't know if I'd still be trying.

I have recently started doing yoga and meditation, thinking maybe my stress levels are interfering with weight loss. May be a long shot, but it's something easy to try.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i'd say start at the in place of a road map and stick with it for 3 months, all while insisting to your docs to get the proper tests done. if they come back normal and you dont see a change after 3 months with the same diet then come back and we will all help you reassess. these things take time and sometimes you wont see results for a couple months. first things first though start fighting your docs to get those endocrine tests done!
  • klacount77
    klacount77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    My doc did one of the two thyroid tests. It was normal. She won't do the other, though. I need to see an endocrinologist. I haven't been tested for PCOS. I've brought that possibility up to her, though.

Also, as an aside, I am currently on Metformin and Wellbutrin.

Metformin AND Welbutrin?!?!?!?!

No wonder you aren't losing weight! You are lucky to have not gained weight! My spouse is on both of those drugs as well and while the MOST COMMON side effects are increased libido and weight loss ... there are negative side effects like an inability to "orgasm" and weight GAIN on both of those drugs. Have you talked to the Doc about changing scripts? getting something to counteract the side effects?

<<HUGS>>

After going through that very issue, with those very same drugs ... I wish you all the luck in the world. Talk to your doctor. Tell them this combination is causing more problems that it helps. You can't get upset and cause stress on yourself, your relationship and your body over a prescription. Make the doc find something that works for YOU.

Good luck!
  • chrisdykes
    Options
    Natasha, you have probably done this, but just in case:
    Have you talked to your doctor about any medication that might be interfering with weight loss? Some meds can make it much harder.

Hang in there!

Edit: Ooops, I just saw the post above.

"there are negative side effects like an inability to "orgasm" and weight GAIN on both of those drugs." YES, YES, YES, I second what Klacount has said. These drugs, for some, can make it very hard to lose weight. I know first hand. See if there are alternatives.
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    How long have you tried something for? Consistency and trying something for long enough (about a month or two, at least), is important. An example - if you were eating 1200 calories or less consistently for a long period of time, increasing your calories for a week isn't go to do much. There are plenty of other things that could affect the stall in weight loss. I understand the frustration, since my weight loss stalled for about a year, but the key is to be consistent, positive, and when you try something new, don't expect it to make a difference overnight.

Some things that might help -

1. Eat. Go on a diet break. If you've been eating a deficit for over a year, and eating 1200 calories or less for a long period of time, you might need to eat at maintenance for a while. And by a while I mean 6-8 weeks, at least.
    2. Lift weights. Strength training is important on a calorie deficit, and can often produce non-scale changes in appearance that are much more rewarding.
    3. Track everything. Weigh everything you can to be as accurate as possible. Stick to your calorie goal most of the time, whether that is a maintenance goal for a while or a calorie deficit.
    4. Stop "trying" certain diets and fads, and know that your doctor is not always right.
    5. Focus on your health and fitness first. Weight loss second. This will keep you sane, I swear.
  • Crystal82186
    Crystal82186 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I really wish that I could offer some assistance here, but all I really want to do is tell you that your kids are adorable =]

I wish you lots of luck in finding a weight loss program that works for you. It sounds like you are very determined so you will find something, eventually. I know it's frustrating, but it'll work out, somehow.