Hello

Options
I started to do something about my weight and fitness about a couple of months ago and found this site last week so thought I'd introduce myself.
Male, 56 and I guess I've been going downhill for a few years: dropped the exercise a bit; had a few health issues, one being high blood pressure. The medication (and the excess weight) makes me feel lethargic and so I do even less exercise and put on more weight....
It was the thought of retirement that got me started. It's a little way off but I want to enjoy an ACTIVE retirement and the way I was going, that wasn't going to happen.
Anyway, I've lost about 14lb since I started through a combination of diet and exercise (we got a new dog!) and I'm amazed how much better I feel already. The blood pressure is down and I have so much more energy.
Hardest part - surprisingly - is drinking enough water (why so much?). I am also a little concerned about what happens when I reach my target, can I keep my weight steady? Hopefully MFP will help.
So, that's me: add me if you like and good luck to you all.

Replies

• fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    welcome! You are off to a good start. I 'joined' a long time ago, never used MFP until July 22 12. I also have the worst time drinking enough water but logging on and tracking food and water as well as exercise has really helped. Having a dog also helps to stay on track with some exercise, if nothing else we walk everyday at a good pace!
  • ggsmamma
    ggsmamma Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    14# is a great start! What's your goal? How much more do you have to go? I'd like to follow your story because my BFF has super high dangerous blood pressure and she is over weight too. I'd like to collect inspirational stories, hoping she will get convinced to lose some pounds with me.

I have about 40# to lose. My biggest challenge is the fact that I am in love with the best chef in the west. Seriously, my husband is always baking and cooking. Tell me, could you come home to fresh King Salmon with mashed potatoes and a volcano chocolate cake baking in your house and not eat it? Almost impossible!

My other challenge is movement. I work A LOT so finding time to workout has been a challenge. When do you work out?

Good luck to you!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You have made a great start. I found that the more I exercised the more I liked it. Now I actually miss it if I dont do it. I am a big believer in logging what you eat. It really makes a huge difference! It is so easy to have more calories than you think just creep up on you! Best of luck to you!
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    I lost almost 40 pounds since July 1st, but that sped up when I started recording my calories on MFP. I agree that it is easy to underestimate your calories. Recording them doesn't allow you to do that.

I sent you a friend request, since I think setting up a friend network would help keep me going as well. It is amazing how much I've re-embraced exercise already. I sent you a note, but since someone else mentioned trouble drinking water, I thought I'd open up a suggestion that worked well for me. My wife and I bought something called ' Soda Stream' from costco, but I've seen them elsewhere. It seems I needed the bubbles more than the syrup of the sodas I used to drink. It allows me to drink 12-20 glasses of water just drinking carbonated water.
  • Tryinonemoretime
    Tryinonemoretime Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am very new also but so far I love this site. I think it will be a super great tool for me and I need all the help I can get. I've only been on here for a few day but I actually started dieting on 917 and this am I told my husband that I have officially lost 15 lbs!
    Retirement got you going.........for me it is the prospect of grandchildren in the near future.
    Good luck to us both...........actually all of us! :bigsmile:
  • adbaker12345
    adbaker12345 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow,

how inspirational you have really lost all that weight. Well done.

I am starting the diet tomorrow. I excercise twice a week at the gym and hope to loose as much as I can in three months. Otherwise the doctor will put me on pills for my slightly high blood pressure.

I am trying to get organised and build up a database of foods to make it easier for myself.

Any other tips.

thanks
  • sjc56
    sjc56 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    To ggsmamma: my target is to lose about 60lb, so I guess I'm a quarter way there, but I think progress will slow. Not too worried by that really because what I want to do is to establish a lifestyle in which I can maintain my weir at a sensible level.

To adbaker12345: good luck, I am amazed how my bp has responded to a little weight loss and a bit of moderate exercise, so it is well worth it.

To everyone: thanks for your kind words and encouragement