How to hide that nasty protein taste?

Options
Hello,

I just bought premade slim fast strawberry milk shakes and they taste like butt hole. I can't stand any protein drinks because the protein taste makes me gag! I don't want to waste these premade shakes and the powder I bought either.

Any suggestions to how to get this down? I tried crystal light, smoothies (fruit, ice, yogurt). Perhaps just using a straw or maybe freezing it and eating it like ice cream?!

Please offer any suggestions!

Thank you :)

Replies

• xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have a decent tasting protein powder. But when I make my shakes for breakfast and have them on an empty stomach (ugh), I make it as small a quantity as possible (with less liquid) and chug it as fast as possible.
  • technogal63
    Options
    I had a lot of problems with the taste of protein powder in the beginning but finally found some I like: Syntrax Nectar has some great fruit flavors that actually taste good. You can get some samples from here:

http://www.bjsbariatrics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=bjb&Product_Code=synSamplePack&Category_Code
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I find *kitten* to be quite flavorless
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I have heard pineapple and asparagus both can help with the taste. I guess you just mix it up.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I have heard pineapple and asparagus both can help with the taste. I guess you just mix it up.

"heard" yeah, right
  • AverageAngel
    AverageAngel Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    CHUG IT CHUG IT CHUG IT!!! Seriously. chug, then chase.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    just swallow it all in one shot
  • currlygirrl
    currlygirrl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This doesn't really fix the taste but I find that things I have to drink that taste bad go down better through a straw. At least I can drink it WAY faster and not have as much of it on my tongue :happy:
    Maybe find some better tasting protein? I find that the chocolate is usually a good bet. If you go to GNC they have a very good return policy, just a suggestion

Also, I never like the pre-made stuff it tastes weird. Try a powder form they always taste better in m opinion.
  • genefabes
    genefabes Posts: 132
    Options
    www.proteinpow.com
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Add 1TBS. sugar free pudding mix to the drink. It makes a big difference with little added calories. And lay off the butt holes! :)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

+1, well, on the pineapple anyway. Asparagus makes your pee smell, so I'm not so sure about that one.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Keep trying different brands. I love the protein drinks at jamba juice mixed with real fruits. If no jamba juce near you try the naked drinks sold in most large grocery stores. The protein enriched are good. Finally you can mix protein powder in oatmeal and other things if you don't like shake taste. Keep experimenting until you find what works for you.
  • mcouturezz
    Options
    The protein shakes/powder I bought is chocolate flavor but tastes aweful by itself.
    What I do is add 1 tbsp of pure cocoa powder in it (only 15 cals).. now it tastes like chocolate pudding :)
    for strawberries I dunno maybe add some fruits in it ?
  • YoungerNextYear59937
    Options
    Protein bars. Some of them taste like candy bars.
  • jebarritt
    Options
    try the Visalus Shake, it tastes fantastic!
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Then my friend, you aint tasted lifematrix raw vegan protein powder...

If any protein powder tastes worst, I'll have to take your word for it...

Apparently using it as a smoothie or in oats helps with flavour... But then again it wouldn't be a shake then... But... Tastier for sure :/

I don't know, I'm still trying to make mine taste better and cannot for the life of me do it.. chug it? Sure, chug sawdust and see how tasty it is... same thing..
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Add 1TBS. sugar free pudding mix to the drink. It makes a big difference with little added calories. And lay off the butt holes! :)

This too. For realz, yo! Butterscotch in the chocolate makes it taste like a Butterfinger...butt without the hole.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I got a chocolate powder and mixed it with greek yogurt, milk, cocoa powder, truvia, ice and a pinch of guar gum (thickener, I got it at Whole Foods). You have to do it in a blender or the guar gum doesn't mix right and you get little guar boogers in your shake. When guar gum is mixed right it makes the shake thick and creamy. When you get the combination right it tastes like a chocolate milkshake. Over the summer I made ice cubes out of coffee and used those instead of regular ice. It was pretty tasty.
  • kriselayne1
    kriselayne1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use Nature's Bounty Optimal Solutions protein drink in Chocolate. I do 2 scoops, 5 ice cubes, a very ripe banana and 1% Milk (lactose free to not have bubble guts all day) its quite delicious! The banana and milk take that yucky protein taste away. Now, I bought the Vanilla, Same brand and did it the same exact way and it was HORRIBLE! I even tired to mix with strawberry quick (yeah I know terrible for you!) but I thought if anything could make this taste better, strawberry quick would do it! No....

So best advice I could give is keep trying different mixes until you get one that works. I mean I know most are quite expensive so do what your budget allows or try to shop at places that allow you to return even if its opened.

BTW The Nature's Bounty powder is about $15 and is sold in supermarkets and pharmacies like Walgreens and CVS. Which have some good sales every now and again and there is a $2 off coupon included in the container.
  • aarilynn
    aarilynn Posts: 74 Member
    Options