Increased Speed Running plan - Know one?

Options
As of right now, I can easily run 3 miles in under 28 minutes. On Thanksgiving, I am running a 5k with a friend and would like to improve my speed (especially if I can get it under 20-25 minutes.) I have been searching google, am not sure what works well and is free (as a poor college student, I don't have much money to buy a plan.)

It would be a plus if you also knew a good strength training routine to go with it.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    What is your current plan?
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I guess you would just put one foot in front of the other...really fast. Right?
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Just google for an intermediate or advanced 5K training plan. It will have speedwork in it.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I have heard that HIIT training helps increase speed greatly.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    There are lots of suggestions on how to train to improve performance in Runners World and its available in many libraries. One thing I see suggested frequently are fartleks (see link below).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Google Hal Higdon's training plans. I've heard really good things!
  • jekissa729
    Options
    I have the runkeeper app which offers some free plans. You can also set it for interval workouts, where you run fast for a period of time, steady, and slow. 3 miles in under 28 minutes is great! I am also running a 5 k on Thanksgiving:smile:
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    What is your current plan?
    As of current, I am running 3 times a week. I ran three miles today, and figured one of those times I should shoot for 6 miles. Other then that, I do not have much of a plan.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Step one: run more miles

Then try some fartleks (do a search on this forum, I wrote a long post on it)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Long runs have helped my 5K times. I would try Bridge to 10K B210K, or a 1/2 Marathon plan.
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have been reading Runner's World (online), and have found it helpful.. I noticed their plan for running was a bit of money.

Hal Higdon and Fartleks will be researched
    I have the runkeeper app which offers some free plans. You can also set it for interval workouts, where you run fast for a period of time, steady, and slow. 3 miles in under 28 minutes is great! I am also running a 5 k on Thanksgiving:smile:

Thank you. It is much better then I could have done several years ago. I am just a glutton for punishment. ;) Good luck to you.
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon (free downloads)
    Chi Running (borrow the book free from the library)

I used both to increase my running speed AND distance.
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Some ways to improve speed are to run more miles, include tempo runs in weekly training, and to include speed workouts in your weekly routine. Check out Hal Higdons training schedule here.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51132/Half-Marathon-Intermediate-Training-Program
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options

This and add in hills. Sprint up a hill (a good sized hill) and than jog down, repeat!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Runner's World has a training plan to increase your speed for a 5k, 10k, half or full marathon. It's day rotations of speed intervals, short runs, rests and long runs for each week in your training (they have a training guide depending on your level - beginner, intermediate or advanced).
  • moonshadows72
    moonshadows72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Run Double is an app i use on my droid phone. It has a program that you can get called 5k improver. Based on more interval training to help you increase your speed.

http://rundouble.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=13&p=27

http://community.weightwatchers.com/Blogs/ViewPost.aspx?threadID=1698081
  • justrunjon
    Options
    Until you improve your distance it will be hard for you to improve your pace! your 5k pace will naturally improve when your running regular 5/6/7 mile runs! but if you really just want to improve your 5k pace quickly then try

8x400 meter runs at just under your 5k pace with 200 metre walking breaks, please do warm up properly tho

so it would be 400mtres at 5k pace followed by a 200 metre walk x 8 once a week along with your other running
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    In the long term running more to build aerobic capacity will work best.  Also include a weekly 90 min to 2 hr long run.

In the short term the best thing you can do is track repeats once a week.  Do around 8 to 10 x 400m at 5k pace with a short rest between each one.  You could later move up to 4 to 6 x 800m and 3 to 4 x mile.

Another good workout is a 20 min tempo run at a hard but sustainable pace.

Also recommend you spend $20 and buy a good training book.  This will be much better than the conflicting information you will get off the internet.  Here are a few recommendations 
    Athletic Training by Arthur Lydiard, available free at http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/pdfs/al_training_eng.pdf 
    Daniels' Running Formula by Jack Daniels 
    Run Faster from the 5k to the Marathon: How to be Your Own Best Coach by Matt Fitzgerald & Brad Hudson 
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options

This and add in hills. Sprint up a hill (a good sized hill) and than jog down, repeat!

Agree!
    Works for me!