Weight loss and birth control?

Options
Has anyone here tried losing weight while on birth control? I have read that birth control pills make you gain weight- I am 2 months into my birth control and believe I have gained a slight bit of weight. Will this hinder my weight loss journey if I am exercising and eating right?

Replies

• marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have been losing while on birth control, haven't noticed a problem. I have heard people say that it slows down weight loss and some people gain weight while on the pill. Everyone is different, but I believe if you eat well and excersize you should be able to lose.
  • NoMoreJellyRolls
    Options
    Im on the Depo Provera BC shot, have been since April 2010. Ive gained less than 5 pounds, but I have lost a total of 75 pounds (before MFP and since ive joined). BC is different for EVERYONE, but it hasnt hindered my weight loss
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I am on Loestrin. I have been in a plateau since I've been on it. I have lost a couple of pounds in the 5 months I've been on it, but that's about it.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for six years and don't find that it has any effect on gaining or losing.
  • toledochic
    toledochic Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I take BC and it hasn't affected my weight loss at all.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I've never had a problem with gaining weight because I was on Birth Control. I gained weight because I was eating a bunch of junk and living a very sedentary existence. I lost all of my weight while on Yaz so I honestly don't think it's a huge issue.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Has anyone here tried losing weight while on birth control? I have read that birth control pills make you gain weight- I am 2 months into my birth control and believe I have gained a slight bit of weight. Will this hinder my weight loss journey if I am exercising and eating right?

Everyone is different. That's why the studies on birth control show that it doesn't make women gain weight: Approximately equal number of women lose weight and gain weight, but a lot of people DO have some effect on their weight.

I started exercising more and logging July 2011. In October, I had lost over 10 lb, things were going well. I went on birth control, and I went 2 months without losing weight doing the same things. I was always hungry, but tried lowering calories by ~200 and went another 2 months. Altogether, I lost maybe 4 lb in the 4 months I was on birth control...and I was hungry and miserable the whole time.

I should be able to get to the level of leanness I want to maintain by the end of the year and I may give depo a try once I get there, but I flat-out refuse to go back on birth control until I'm okay with maintaining.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I've got the implant, it was put in a month after I started and I had no real gain. As it was, as the name suggests, implanted the doctor did say no gyming for a week and when I did go back to do light or no weight training until everything settled. I lost but at a slower rate then I had before. I've been loosing nicely since then :D
  • JLD81
    JLD81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I think everyone reacts differently to different birth control pills. I do well on the generic for Ortho Cyclin (Sprintec). However, last year part of my weight gain problem was I was on constant active birth control (without the inactive pills) to try to suppress ovarian cysts and gained a lot of weight. I don't think the BC pills were totally to blame, as I have found I was also B12 deficient.

Loestrin, for me, on the other hand, was from the devil, I'm pretty sure. I went off that about as quick as I went on it because i immediately started gaining and had trouble losing.
  • JoJo0921
    JoJo0921 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I started taking Microgestin Fe 1/20 four months ago. I did notice about a month after taking that I increased a cup size, and I did gain ten pounds. But almost two months ago I began my fitness journey. I have been monitoring my calorie intake, staying away from fattening foods and increased my exercise regimen. I was never inactive before taking the pill, I was running and taking kickboxing. Once I started my fitness journey and decreasing my calorie intake I upped my exercise regimen to running more, and adding other forms of exercise, and keep doing the kickboxing twice a week, but my weight or measurements haven't seemed to budge at all. I know losing weight and getting in shape takes time, but it seemed that before I was on the pill my body reacted a lot differently. It's been a bit discouraging and I almost want to limit my calorie intake even more. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't seeing a change, and it didn't occur to me until recently that it may be due to the microgestin. After doing a bit of research, I have found plenty other reviews on microgestin from active females that also gained without having any change to their diet and exercise regimen and couldn't seem to lose. My appetite hasn't really increased, it only seems to increase after running, but I don't ever eat more than my daily intake amount. I'm not quite sure if it is in fact due to the BC, but I'm not sure what to do--if I should try a different brand or change my habits even more. I may try to decrease my calorie intake even more and increase my cardio and see if I see any difference in doing that.

I know everyone reacts differently to different forms of BC, but it was a bit refreshing to see so many other reviews on microgestin about weight gain and know that there's a chance it isn't something I'm doing wrong.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i've been on the pill for a while and it hasnt hindered any loss for me yet. i think if youre brand brand new you could probably expect to gain a couple lbs but other than that its not going to stall your loss or make you magically fat overnight so iwouldnt worry it unless you've been trying to lose weight for a while and nothing is working. then i would get a checkukp and a thyroid check.
  • tequilasunris3
    Options
    I take cerazette and I have definitely gained and found it harder to lose whilst using it.
  • McShanJazz
    Options
    Hi! I started the Nuvaring a few years ago, and did gain a little weight. However, I'm not sure that weight really had to do with the birth control or just that fact that I was eating a ton. Anyways, in Aug, I started working out extra, following MFP calorie guidelines, and I have lost 10 lbs, while still on the Nuvaring. It definitely CAN be done. :-D Good luck!
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Multiple studies have shown that women tend to gain weight on birth control simply because it increases their cravings (so they eat more) or causes water retention (due to hormones), not because there's something in the pill itself that packs on pounds. It shouldn't hinder your weight loss, but if you tend to retain water, it might go a bit slower for you. Just make sure you exercise and drink lots of water, and take Pamprin during your period since it contains a diuretic in addition to a painkiller.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I've been losing weight and I've been on BC for about 10 years. I asked my doctor about BC and weight gain and she said it's a myth. Just one doc's opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.
  • carbear02
    carbear02 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    why does constant birth control lead to weight gain?
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I think BC causes cravings and some water rention....but not the actual weight gain. When I gain weight from BC it's not just swallowing the pill that does it...it's swallowing the chocolate and salty snacks I crave that makes me gain weight. lol All of my doctors say BC causing weight gain is a myth. It's easy to try to blame the pill...but really weight gain is from eating calories you don't need not a pill.

I do think it makes it a tad bit harder to lose, but again I think it's b/c those darn cravings are 10x worse. When I'm not on the pill I swear I don't have the same cravings (lord help me if I ever get pregnant those hormonal cravings are gonna do me in!).
  • carbear02
    carbear02 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sorry if i wasn't clear but why does *constant* birth control (ie - without placebo pills) cause weight gain?
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    I take cerazette and I have definitely gained and found it harder to lose whilst using it.

be careful with it. i came off 5 weeks ago and had my first period yesterday. i am in a lot of pain! not sure if it is just bad period pain or something else. i was told by a doctor to leave it for 24 hrs. I was asked if i thought i was having a miscarriage!!

I was on it a year by the way.
  • mfp116
    mfp116 Posts: 108
    Options
    im on two kinds of birth control the implant & the pill and ive lost 44lbs... so yeah it is a myth