cross fit

elfnumber2
elfnumber2 Posts: 455 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
any one use cross fit in relation to there weight loss on here?

Replies

• I'm interested to read some of the posts with regards to crossfit. I'm very near to a crossfit gym and am considering trying a class. It looks a bit intimidating but I love a good sweat!
    Mel
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    No but my routines are very close to it. I have friends that do cross fit, I thought about joining (there's one near my house), then I looked at their routine and thought, "I already do this." so I didn't. And now that I'm a Personal trainer, I don't really have a need to join as I know enough routines to keep myself next to dead for at least 2 or 3 years. :tongue:
  • Meghan0129
    Meghan0129 Posts: 1,308 Member
    I work with a cross fit trainer and LOVE IT!!! It is an incredible workout. Careful though it will make you puke if push too hard. :laugh: My trainer loves it when I tell him I'm going to be sick. He's so sadistic. I'm just kidding- he just enjoys pushing me to my limits.

In reading over your responses again, I may have misspoken. I don't belong to a Cross Fit gym but I do Cross Fit type training.
  • CaitlinEats
    CaitlinEats Posts: 42 Member
    In reading about the Cross Fit gym in my town, I found out they encourage folks to eat according to the Paleolithic Diet. I looked it up because I was curious and seemed really weird to me at the time (and maybe not very healthy), but I can't remember why now. :) Anyway, you might want to look into that part of it too.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    In reading about the Cross Fit gym in my town, I found out they encourage folks to eat according to the Paleolithic Diet. I looked it up because I was curious and seemed really weird to me at the time (and maybe not very healthy), but I can't remember why now. :) Anyway, you might want to look into that part of it too.

Personally, I would stick to the exercises and leave it at that. I find that the less I know about the accompanying ideologies and personalities associated w/Crossfit, the better. Some of the exercises are fun, though.
  • elfnumber2
    cool im a pt myself and have started moving into crossfit based exercise and it is really hard i just wanted to see if anyone found any real gains from this training with relation to weight loss (change in body shape)
  • Meghan0129
    cool im a pt myself and have started moving into crossfit based exercise and it is really hard i just wanted to see if anyone found any real gains from this training with relation to weight loss (change in body shape)
    I did see a change in my body shape, mostly in my upper body. I have before pictures and current pictures but I an hesitant to post them. My before pictures are not true "before" picture because I have been working out for years but they were taken before I started with my trainer.
    The thing I like most about the workouts is that they are fun. I lift weights regularly on my own but much prefer the full body workouts that cros fit provides. It combines cardio, lifting, core and balance, which I think makes the most of my time in the gym.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member

I don't know that I have seen any specific weight loss changes (actually, I know I haven't), but I have not committed to it fully and frankly I don't think that most people have the strength or fitness ability to get the promised benefit from doing only the crossfit program. I may be too cautious, but I see only a small percentage of the population that can do a full corssfit program.

In my case, I know I am not there yet, and I don't have enough confidence in either myself or the program to say 'yeah, this is all I am going to do".

That being said, there are some definite benefits I have experienced even just doing some modified workouts a couple of times a week, or as one of my periodization cycles. There is a definite synergy between these workouts and my more traditional cardio and weight lifting workouts--in other words they all improve the performance in the other workouts. While I think the whole concept of "muscle confusion" is unfounded, there is no question that varying your training stimulus is essential to making steady progress. I always look at my "traditional" strength training as "bulk" or "raw" strength, and the crossfit/metabolic type workouts as "applied" strength. I think that both complement each other.
  • Meghan0129
    I agree that you need to ease your way into Cross Fit. There is a lot of technique needed to perform the workouts correctly. Like anything else, you will only get out what you put in.
  • elfnumber2
    I agree that you need to ease your way into Cross Fit. There is a lot of technique needed to perform the workouts correctly. Like anything else, you will only get out what you put in.

i agree ive seen body shape changes in only 6 weeks as well as improvements in cv and strength but weight is the same for me so this may be increased muscle mass or slight changes to diet needed
This discussion has been closed.