Warrior Dash hopeful

Options
dongarvin
dongarvin Posts: 41 Member
Hello. I've got a goal and I've got 6 months to reach it. I want to participate in the Warrior Dash. (If ya don't know what it is Google it and you'll see why I'm now on MFP.) Anyhow, I'm not really over-weight (although I can stand to lose a few pounds) I'm more just out of shape. I've got the physique of Kermit the frog; skinny limbs and round in the middle. See what happens as you get older and take for granted you'll always be thin and fit?? So I've never been athletic and at 43 it's a little late in the game to suit up and take the field but...I've gotta do this. I know you're saying, "Why Don? Why must you do so this badly? What is driving you to climb in the mud and scale over walls and crawl through the dirt?" All I can say is that I feel as though I have to prove to myself I'm not the couch potato I see in the mirror. And a 63 year old woman at work did it and got this really cool t-shirt and is a perfect endorsement of elderly physical fitness (and great for her by the way) but it just makes me that much more disgusted with myself. So here I go... I'm new to dieting, exercising, etc. I'm hoping getting involved with MFP (see! I'm already using the acronym like a pro) I can keep motivated and dash like a warrior (in 6 months).

Replies

• huizenm
    huizenm Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    6 months to train is attainable! You got this! Make sure you incorporate both strength training and cardio into your workout routine. Start slow and build up gradually. No injuries! :) And then in 20 years people will say that YOU are the "perfect endorsement of elderly physical fitness". Good Luck!
  • dgage8
    dgage8 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Awesome, go for it! You gotta chase your dreams with all you've got, cause no one's gonna do it for you! I finished my first marathon with 2 kids, a full time job, and a 6 month training book for people like me that have never been runners. It's not size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Happy training, keep the fire burning and you'll never regret it.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Warrior Dash was one of my motivators last year. I started training in January and ran it in April, so you should have no problem being ready in 6 months. I have since done 2 Warrior Dashes, Tough Mudder, and Rugged Maniac. And I'm signed up for similar events into next year already. I started running these at 40 and I will be 42 next month. They are a blast. The best way to prepare is to run. None of the obstacles require much more strength than climbing a ladder, but any strength training you do will certainly help. There are people of all fitness levels there and a lot of people even walk a large part of it, so you'll fit in no matter what. It's just a total fun party atmosphere. Also do some experimenting finding gear that is comfortable to run in when wet and dries quickly. I use Salomon Tech Amphibian water shoes, running shorts, and Under Armour compression fit shirts. I encourage you to get yourself wet and do a training run or two so you can see how you and your gear hold up in those conditions (ie do your shoes give you blisters when they get wet?). Maybe not as crucial for the 5k events like Warrior Dash, but if you move up into the longer events like Tough Mudder (which was 12.5 miles here) it little discomfort can turn into real pain.

Good luck and have fun! Try to get some friends to run it with you too. These events are a blast in a group and you'll have someone to drink beers with at the after party!
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a Warrior Dash on June 3 and I've been following the Dash's 12 week training plan, which I like. If you look it up, I'm doing the "Casual Warrior" one, which is a good work out. I have a 5 miler and lifting to do tonight :)
  • dongarvin
    dongarvin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate the support and loads of great info. And Art, I'll be looking into the training plan. Incidentally, besides getting in shape I'm quitting smoking at the same time. So basically I'm a hungry, irritable filiwegian. But I'm getting better every day. Thanks again everyone for the encouragement. I'm doing the Warrior Dash in Austin, TX this coming November!
  • joevennare
    Options
    Training for a Mud run or obstacle course race like Tough Mudder, Spartan Race, or warrior dash should include workouts that are focused on strength, cardio, and race specific skills. I have competed in a number of obstacle races, triathlon, and ultra marathon and found this type of training to be most effective.

Your main training goals should be to:
    • Increase strength relative to bodyweight, cardiovascular and muscular stamina, durability, and mental toughness
    • Learn, execute, and improve efficient biomechanics of functional movements like running, lifting, climbing, jumping, and landing
    • Develop core strength and stability through functional, compound movements
    • Improve balance, lower limb strength, and muscular recruitment and coordination under weight-bearing loads

Look to include compound, functional movements like kettlebell swings. Train under a weight-bearing load, over an extended period of time completing resisted runs, sprints, hill climbs, and stadium stairs. Finally, train skills specific to the race including relative strength, grip strength, core strength/stability, dynamic, unilateral, and non-linear movement, transfer of force/power, and transport a load.

Some workout suggestions include:

Strength Training:

Bodyweight exercises: squat, lunge, push-up, pull-up, dips

Loaded bodyweight exercise: adding weight/an additional load to pull-ups and dips

Kettlebells: in the strength training category kettlebells are paired with Olympic or compound movements during circuits that incorporate a heavier weight and fewer repetitions

Cardiovascular conditioning: Even if you are not a runner or endurance athlete, cardiovascular exercise still needs to be factored into your training program. In addition to some longer distance efforts try interval training.

High Intensity Intervals: working at or near max effort to fatigue the muscles and lungs. Alternate between periods of all our effort and shorter periods of rest.

Example: 400m all out sprint followed by a rest period that is half the amount of time it took your to complete the 400m sprint. Repeat 6-8 times

Intervals/Hill Sprints/Track Workouts: Mixed work periods from intense effort to low/moderate effort.

Example: Hill sprint that takes 60-90 seconds to complete, then walking or easy jog to start line. Repeat 8-12 times.

Tabata: High intensity working set for 20 seconds followed by 10 seconds of rest. Repeated for 8-12 sets.

Example: Overhead kettlebell swings for 20 seconds, followed by 10 seconds of rest. Repeat 8-12 times.

Try implementing these strategies and feel free to email me at joe@hybridathlete.org for additional workouts.

You can get more info from my free download here: http://www.racedaydomination.com/free-download/

Here is a bodyweight workout to get you started!

Warm-up:

Jog@ 2-5 minutes

Lunge @25 yards

Reverse Lunge @ 25 yards Walking

Broad Jump @ 25 yards

Training:

2 Round

50x Step-up (each leg, add weight vest or resistance if possible)

20x Push-up

30x Bodyweight Squat

20x Push-up

30x Bodyweight Squat

3 Rounds @ 50 yards each movement

Bear Crawl

75% Sprint

Plank Crawl

Walking Lunge

Bounding Jump Squats