Calories in FAGE 0% with only SOME fruit

Options
So I"m addicted to these yogurts...But I am concerned that they are high in carbs/sugar due to the fruit flavoring. I'm scouring the internet trying to get a calorie estimate if I only have half the fruit? I was thinking if I subtract the carbs in the plain 0%- then split the difference? Would that be close? Thoughts? Calling all nutrionist-mathematicians!!!
I've tried to have the plain 0% and add my own sugar free jams but it just isn't the same!!!!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'd just count the calories for the whole thing. There's not a whole lot of fruit in there. I figure it covers all those places where I ate more calories than I thought I did. Plus playing little tricks like this to save calories is a slippery slope IMO...
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    i LOVE Fage 0% plain. i eat it almost every single day. tons of protein and NO added sugars. i use stevia liquid to sweeten it and add in fresh fruit/nuts. yum!
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Just add some fresh fruit and stevia. Don't count the sugar in the fresh fruit.
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Fage is amazing. It's the closest thing we have found to Skyr ever since we got back from Iceland.

Your estimate would be close but you would likely want to weight all of the Fage 0 to get that weight right to take off the calorie total to find the jelly calorie content (other stuff too).
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup ripe cherries = 40 cals
    1 cup fage plain yogurt = 120 cals
    total: 160 calories of cherry yogurty goodness
  • dbendett
    Options
    Yes thats what I do too, but should I be concerned that the plain still has 8 grams of sugar in a cup? I suppose its from the milk having its own natural sugar... For snack I do 1 Cup berries and 1 Cup Plain 0% Fage and sweeten with stevia, but at the end of the day when my sugar grams went over it was from the yogurt and I also have a cup of vanilla soymilk (which has added sugar).
  • dedee32282
    Options
    i LOVE Fage 0% plain. i eat it almost every single day. tons of protein and NO added sugars. i use stevia liquid to sweeten it and add in fresh fruit/nuts. yum!

Never seen the stevia liquid...is it the same thing as the power?? Or does it come in flavors? I'll have to shop around for it! Thanks!! :heart:
  • dbendett
    Options
    No added sugars but still has 9 grams of sugar per serving in the plain. I suppose that is because it is made from milk which has lactose.
  • tripodell
    tripodell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Get the calories per serving from the plain 0% tub in the yogurt isle, measure the volume of just yogurt in the slit cup. Get the macros from the resulting entry, then subtract from the macros on the split cup. The remainder are the values for the fruit portion. Likely about 1.5-2 fluid oz. Save the results as two separate, custom entries, then use them to get accurate usage, especially if some days you use all the fruit, some days not.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    dbendett wrote: »
    Yes thats what I do too, but should I be concerned that the plain still has 8 grams of sugar in a cup? I suppose its from the milk having its own natural sugar... For snack I do 1 Cup berries and 1 Cup Plain 0% Fage and sweeten with stevia, but at the end of the day when my sugar grams went over it was from the yogurt and I also have a cup of vanilla soymilk (which has added sugar).

Why would that be a problem? (Yes, it's lactose.)

Why would sugar from fruit be a problem?

If it fits in your calories and you have a reasonable amount of added sugar, why would the little bit of added sugar from a flavored Fage be a problem, for that matter.

On going over the sugar, if you have the default MFP goal, it's 15% of total calories, or minimum 45 g (on 1200). A cup of berries, the Fage, and the vanilla soymilk doesn't seem enough to make that go over, although of course you should be consuming other sources of sugar, like vegetables.

My approach is figure out protein goal and meet it, add a lot of vegetables to all meals, make sure my diet includes adequate healthy fats, and then use the rest of my calories as I want. If you are at a low calorie level and you eat fruit and dairy for the extra (or some sources of added sugar, like flavored soymilk), it's not uncommon to go over. I wouldn't worry about it if the overall diet is balanced and nutrient dense. The reason for the 15% total sugars limit is to help with balance and to make sure you aren't eating lots of unexpected sources of added sugar that are low nutrient. There's nothing credible that says more than 15% of total sugars is bad for you.

And back to OP: if you really love the Fage with the fruit flavor, and your overall diet is fine with enough protein, healthy fats, vegetables, etc., and you aren't going overboard with added sugar, I wouldn't worry about it. I personally love Fage with just added berries or some other fruit (I don't care for the taste of artificial sugars in that context and would never add them, but that's just my preference), but if you have tried that and don't enjoy it as much why not keep your current snack. It's reasonably healthful overall, and could fit easily into a healthful diet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oh, I hate it when I completely fail to notice zombie threads!

marwlg255vra.gif
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    dedee32282 wrote: »

Never seen the stevia liquid...is it the same thing as the power?? Or does it come in flavors? I'll have to shop around for it! Thanks!! :heart:

Google Sweet Drops, it comes in a gazillion flavors. Go easy, it's very, very sweet.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    dedee32282 wrote: »

Google Sweet Drops, it comes in a gazillion flavors. Go easy, it's very, very sweet.

Hopefully dedee hasn't spent 5 years waiting for someone to answer the question... :D