Explain BMR to me

Options

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

This is incorrect. Basal Metabolic Rate is TDEE - about 20 to 40 %

It is the energy needed to sustain autonomic systems.

BMR + activity + thermic effect of food = TDEE or maintenance.

Actually, we are both right. What I quoted is RESTING, without exercise.
    In most topics, TDEE is what you are quoting - BMR is the NORM to Maintain

Also, you are ADDING to BMR to get your TDEE :laugh:

Basal metabolic rate (BMR), and the closely related resting metabolic rate (RMR), is the amount of energy expended daily by humans and other animals at rest or sleep . Rest is defined as existing in a neutrally temperate environment while in the post-absorptive state. In plants, different considerations apply.
    Also see: basal metabolic rate an expression of the rate at which oxygen is used by body cells, or the calculated equivalent heat production by the body, in a fasting subject at complete rest. Abbreviated BMR. (This is MEDICAL terminology for BMR.

Former Medic in the US Army. As pertaining to this discussion, I would lean more to my answer. Yes, I am biased.

you should have kept reading the wikipedia definition further.
    From the same wikipedia page
    About 70% of a human's total energy expenditure is due to the basal life processes within the organs of the body (see table). About 20% of one's energy expenditure comes from physical activity and another 10% from thermogenesis, or digestion of food (postprandial thermogenesis).[10] All of these processes require an intake of oxygen along with coenzymes to provide energy for survival (usually from macronutrients like carbohydrates, fats, and proteins) and expel carbon dioxide, due to processing by the Krebs cycle.

Basal Metabolic Rate, is not maintenance calories. BMR + daily activity + thermic effect of food is maintenance calories.
    Daily activity being, waking up, blinking, walking to the bathroom...etc. Anything that requires voluntary muscle action.

You do NOT maintain your weight if you eat your BMR, you lose weight if you eat your BMR, that is, unless, you are in a coma or a quadriplegic and unable to move.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

you are confusing BMR with TDEE.
    If you eat your BMR, you are ALREADY in a deficit. you can eat your BMR and your exercise calories every day and still lose weight.

all the other posts in this thread are accurate.

i'm not confused.

what i wrote about BMR is correct.

it's a function of your age, height, weight, etc.

it doesn't include activity rate.

TDEE is the BMR modified by an activity rate multiplier.

for example, the multiplier for a "light exercise" activity level is 1.375, but that is accounting for all activity above and beyond the BMR.

so TDEE is BMR + plus all other calories burned by movement, etc.

or in other words, TDEE is BMR plugged into the Harris-Benedict equation.

however, BMR is the BASE number and that's what i described (above).
  • Kaiukas
    Kaiukas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate is the amount of calories your body needs to exist.

Unless you have had it measured in the lab conditions (which I had in my physiology class), all the other calculations are estimates. It depends on your weight, gender, age, body composition, and whether or not you have any pathologies that affect metabolism (e.g. thyroid disease can dramatically decrease or increase it).

Because all these different figures make things complicated, a simple calculation that most people can do is take their weight in pounds and multiple it by 10. It isn't the accurate figure, but you will be in the right area (for most people).

So to reiterate, your BMR is your weight in pounds multipled by 10.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate is the amount of calories your body needs to exist.

Unless you have had it measured in the lab conditions (which I had in my physiology class), all the other calculations are estimates. It depends on your weight, gender, age, body composition, and whether or not you have any pathologies that affect metabolism (e.g. thyroid disease can dramatically decrease or increase it).

Because all these different figures make things complicated, a simple calculation that most people can do is take their weight in pounds and multiple it by 10. It isn't the accurate figure, but you will be in the right area (for most people).

So to reiterate, your BMR is your weight in pounds multipled by 10.

Really? your calculation would have my BMR go up to 2100 instead of 1690 are you sure.
  • Kaiukas
    Options
    Mads, can you give me your age and height, please? I presume you are a man and your weight is 210 lb, right?
  • Kaiukas
    Options
    OK, my over-simplification works very well for me, but it may not be so helpful for everyone:

The simplest calculation I can recommend then is

For men: BMR = 10 * weight(in kg) + 6.25 * height(in cm) - 5 * age(in years) + 5
    For women: BMR = 10 * weight(in kg) + 6.25 * height(in cm) - 5 * age(in years) - 161

Let me see, how it calculates for me; I am a woman, 63.2 kg (139lb), 174 cm (5'9'') and 45 years old.

My estimate based on my weight in pounds=10*139=1390

BMR: 10*63.2+6.25*174-5*45-161=632+1832.5-225-160=1334.5

So, as I said, my simplification works pretty well for me, but, yeah, everyone should put their math hats on:flowerforyou:
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I wish I could figure out how that works. My BMR is 1960 and my weight is 257. MFP wants me eating 1500 cals and my doc said 1400. I am not losing weight, but losing inches.
  • suemoony
    suemoony Posts: 25 Member
    Options
  • Mads1997
    Options
    Mads, can you give me your age and height, please? I presume you are a man and your weight is 210 lb, right?

Nope female 44, 211,175cm

All other calculators I've used put me around 1690
  • Kaiukas
    Options
    Yep, Mads, you are absolutely right. I got 1671 for you and 1690 using another formula.

Thank you for highlighting my error. Goes to show that what works for one person (in this case me), doesn't necessarily work for others.

Thanks and best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • cruciia
    cruciia Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Basal Metabolic Rate

It's the minimum amount of calories that your body requires to function without any extra movement. Think about coma patients-- They aren't moving or using up extra calories to talk or move. They're completely sedentary, but their bodies still need enough calories to breathe and keep the heart pumping. If you're in a coma, the hospital will feed you your BMR requirement-- no more, no less.

We can survive on fewer calories than our BMR requirements because we do have extra fat stores to pull energy from for a limited amount of time-- and that's what causes weight loss. However, you shouldn't eat below your BMR for extended amounts of time because your body will only dig into those fat stores for so long before it will break down muscle for fuel, and when you break down muscle, your metabolism will slow down because it needs fewer calories to maintain your body.

Edit:
    MFP is programmed to calculate your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), and remove 10-15% of that to cut calories. If you set it to sedentary, your TDEE isn't going to be very much higher than your BMR, so removing that 10-15% might be below your BMR. The only restriction on the calculator is that it won't tell anyone to go below 1200 calories because that's what they have deemed to be the average "safety" limit.

But if you're serious about losing weight, don't just rely on cutting calories. Exercise more, lift weights, build muscle. Fuel your body enough to sustain a more active lifestyle.

This reply was perfect for me.
  • Mads1997
    Options
    No worries, I was a little suprised that's all. Good luck to you also :flowerforyou:
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Related -- this is a subject of confusion to me, as well: If, according to MFP, my BMR as a 29/131-lb. female is 1,288, why is MFP then assigning me only 1,240 calories per day?

It depends on what you're telling MFP. It won't go below 1200, but it also won't say, "Hey... you should aim for a half pound a week at this stage of the game."
    LorinaLynn, I am approximately 11 lbs. from my initial finish line -- I've been stuck in the 131 lbs. range 3 weeks. :p
    Sorry, not meaning to "split hairs." As I see it, 48 calories is 48 calories, I don't want to unintentionally not give my body what it needs (else I'd not have asked)... Simply trying to understand how this all works.

you can customize your calorie intake in the settings. bump it up to 1,300 calories, but honestly, even that feels too little to me. how tall are you??

Captain_Apoll, I am 5'3" and medium-boned, if that counts for anything.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    We have very similar goals and are the same height and age, Mommyshortlegs. :) How often do you work out and how active are you during the day?

I used this website to calculate my goal weight maintenance levels based on my current workout plan and activity levels and eat at that. http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

Since you are so close to goal weight, it would be better to eat a higher amount of calories for a slower weight loss because eating too little now can cause you to plateau.
  • mommyshortlegs
    Options
    dawlschic007 : Hehee, there was a MFP thread several days ago advertising, "Find Your Twin [in age/height/weight/goals]." You evidently have. ;) Nice to meet you!

I commit to work out a minimum of 20 min./per day, not including my "lightly active" lifestyle as a scratch-cooking housewife and mother of a toddler. In the beginning I opted for rollerbladding in the garage or a round of Jillian Michaels' "30 Day Shred" level 1; however, a procedure on my back has limited my range of motion the past 10 days and I won't be cleared for jumping jacks and the like for another 2.5 mos., thus I've been strolling outdoors with the toddler most days, generally 2-3 mi. at 3.5 mph. Can't say that I mind the limitation at present; I much prefer walking over Jillian's barking. ;)

What about you?

Thank you for the link! Per Fat2Fit's calculations, my maintenance calories should be around 1,800/day; good information to have on hand for the future. Meanwhile, I believe you are probably correct in that I've hit a plateau and may need additional calories to provide that final push - I've wondered what is that magic number when I'm considered "close to my goal weight"; I guess this is it? ;) In the wake of the procedure my daily goals - healthy eating within my calorie requirements, 3 liters of water, exercise - did suffer slightly, but not, I think, to the point of derailing my progress so severely as to no longer be moving forward at all; which makes calorie intake the apparent culprit.
  • crazybusymara
    crazybusymara Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    So I read this thread and am still a little confused if that is possible....if my target is 1250 per MFP - do I eat that and then exercise 200 calories so it becomes 1050--- or do I eat 1450 and exercise 200 calories to reach 1250... to lose weight - I have not been eating enough so I need to figure this out.
  • mommyshortlegs
    Options
    crazybusymara : As I understand it -- or don't ;) -- one must eat a minimum of 1,200 calories/day "to function"; if one exercises away 200 calories, one must eat 200 calories to meet the 1,200 goal. I've read accounts where people do not "eat back their exercise calories," but I would imagine these folks are eating more than 1,200 calories/day to begin with, or they're simply missing their minimum mark, which can ultimately cause the body to retain weight rather than lose it.
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    1200 calories isn't enough for me either. My personal trainer told me to use the Harris Benedict Equation for calculating minimum calories to maintain my weight (http://againstthegain.com/2012/10/harris-benedict-equation/) and then subtract 500 from that daily to get how many I should be eating, which is 1,337 for me. I've been doing this for 2 weeks now, and I've seen good results. :)
  • mommyshortlegs
    Options
    And have you been "eating back your exercise calories," april522, to always close your days around your minimum daily requirement of 1,337 calories despite what exercise has burned?
  • crazybusymara
    crazybusymara Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help - My new goal this week is to eat at 1250 - even with exercising - I had no idea how to approach this - thanks again!!