Not eating enough Calories?

Options
I have had a pretty typical day today with my food. When I say typical I mean typical when I am consciously trying to eat better foods.

I was given a goal of 1,449
I consumed 829
I earned 249 Extra from exercise
And have 620 left OR 371 if we don't count my exercise.

I had two treats today which were a total of 512 calories. If I had resisted temptation that would have meant that I would have had 1132 OR 883 left.

My Net for the day (Not really sure what the net is) is: 580

Does this mean I am not eating enough calories? How can I consume more without turning to junk food? I am only a small person I eat Breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner and sometimes a little snack after dinner usually fruit.

Morning tea and afternoon tea are usually when I eat unhealthy foods and I want to cut that down to just one treat a day.

Replies

• amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    You may not have logged everything correctly
    If you had 3 meals, two snacks and two treats the meals must have been really small
    You should eat more than 829, really
    are you weighing your food?
    Or are you counting an apple as a whole meal.
    Open your diary and we can see where to help you.
    You can close it again after
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I'm usually about 1300 calories under, thats with about 1000calories from exercise but only about 200calories under. Some people say you should eat back calories burnt from exercise and some say don't.

I eat plenty of fruit which usually takes up about 300-500 calories (im only allowed 1300)
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Personally I think your net amount is far far to low. I personally net between 1600-2000 a day depending on what exercise I do. You need to aim to net at least 1200 to stay active and feel like your not dying of hunger possibly. But hey everyone is different, some people on here will tell you they can manage fine on far less than what I net, some people can't. But it seems a good guideline is to make sure you net at least 1200 cals a day.
  • Medilia
    Medilia Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to open my diary.

I weighed the food for dinner and measured my grapes. Everything else was packaged food and I had to guess for the size of my scroll same with the pie since it was from my parents work.
  • Medilia
    Options
    Opened my diary =)
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hi,

You have given MFP your details and they have given you 1449 cals to use if you are unsure of things why not try to trust their figure a little and eat a little more. The net figure is the cals consumed minus the exercise calories you have burned. As you have not eaten you normal allowance this leaves you with a defecit. I usually try to eat my cals along with some of those burned by exercise.

To eat a little more could you maybe try to increase your portions especially on the fruit n veg. Another option is to have the likes of almonds, walnuts, sunflowerseeds as these are very good for you and you only need a small amount of each to boost both your nutritional and calorific values. They are very nice when added to youghurt.

If you try to log things a little in advance you can also keep check on where you are and then edit them later if you change it. Its also a good way to see where you can make improvemnts as you go along.

Hope this helps a little.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Alot of it is what you pick to eat. Instead of just that yogurt for Breakfast, add a couple of eggs with it. Either a small omelette, hard boiled..however you prefer.

The same thing with lunch (wait, where is lunch at?). You are severely lacking in protein for the day. It's ok to go over your allotted protein amount. MFP has a tendency to put protein really low anyways.

I understand your desire to not develop Diabetes. It's a scary disease that no one really wants/needs to get. I have a couple of friends who have had it since they were children and have to wear a pump for it.

One thing I do want to ask.....how tall are you and what is your current weight? After I have my little one, I'll probably have at least 20 pounds to lose. If you need a supportive friend, let me know. And if you need help learning how to work the Diary and your portions, I can tell you from experience that a Digital Food Scale and measuring cups are life savers.
  • Medilia
    Options
    I thought I had lunch in there... haha Okay going to add that in!
    I thought I added it when I had just finished. Must've gotten distracted and pressed the wrong button
  • Medilia
    Options
    Added Lunch and it is all good =)
    Don't know how I missed that!
  • Dony1888
    Options
    I'm in a similiar boat as you and struggling to make up the calories particularly when I do exercise.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Added Lunch and it is all good =)
    Don't know how I missed that!

Ok...that looks much better. A small deficit is perfectly fine. And if you logged the day right, you were almost on the money......so now I'm confused.
  • Medilia
    Options
    This thread is no longer needed lol.