Being called skinny, compliment or insult?

Options

Replies

• Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I personally don't want to be called that, and I don't say other people are unless i'm being somewhat insulting (I think anyway, please don't search my posts).

anyway, just curious about the word from male and female perspectives.

Insult. Skinny is not cool.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    around 6 weeks or so ago I was being called too skinny by people that are too not skinny. kinda anooying but w/e
  • Gwen7121
    Gwen7121 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It's all about perception and intention. If you intended it to be an insult, it is. If you meant it to be a compliment, it is. The problem is the other side of the equation - perception. You may have intended it to be a compliment, but the receiver took it as an insult.

I would never feel insulted by being called skinny. :)
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Before I lost the weight, I would've loved to be called skinny. Now that I've lost the weight and I'm now more focused on building muscle and having definition to my body, I don't like the word. Makes me feel like a scrawny little girl.... which I'm not.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I've found, as a generalisation, men tend to find it insulting, but women often aspire to being skinny, so often find it complimentary.

For myself, I'd say it depends on the attitude of the person saying it - sometimes people say it as a compliment, while others say it to be b*tchy. As a word, though, it's not the most complimentary - 'slim' or 'slender' have better connotations. 'Skinny' has connotations of scrawniness, rather like 'bony' - the idea that you're all skin and bone. But lots of people don't think about that when they say it.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I get that all the time! I find it distressing when people feel so free to comment, especially because it feels like they're scrutinizing me when it's my own damn business. And they always do it like "You're so skinny!" and do this gesture at my body. It tends to happen most when I refuse junk food or something. Hate, hate, hate. Now, if someone goes "You're in great shape" or "You look slender" in a genuinely complimenting way, I'm fine with it. Most of it is the way you say it. They think they're complimenting...it doesn't feel like they are.
  • VeggieLover1983
    VeggieLover1983 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I take it as a bit of both. A compliment because I did use to weigh 247lbs, so when someone calls me skinny now, I think wow! Thanks!! :D (Even though I'm not) but I also take it as a bit of an insult, from the WAY people say it...they say it like it's a bad thing and they usually add after, you need to stop losing weight now, your too thin (I'm still classed as plus size, so no idea why certain people are saying that!) So I just accept their critique and get on with my life, it's my body and it has nothing to do with them!! lol :D
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    Take it as a complinsult! Whatever makes you happy.
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    After being fat for so long, I wouldn't mind being called skinny but I do get where you're coming from

This!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on who is saying it, and the context. I don't really like the word, and associate it with being too thin, or thin but not fit, but I know a lot of people use it as a compliment. I've had it as a compliment from a couple of people lately - partly just drawing attention to the fact I am smaller than I was, and partly a bit tongue in cheek.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'd take it either as a compliment or a joke/piss take. Unless someone was intentionally meaning to insult me (which you can usually tell by tone), I don't get insulted just because someone can't find the most tactful words, lifes too short.
  • maro_p
    maro_p Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Haha.. I see what you are saying.. BUT...

I want to be called skinny -

In my mind though someone saying that I am skinny and mean it (or even a skinny b***) would be the ultimate proof that I reached the goal of being thin or slender. Sometimes people that do not mean well and say things in a negative way can offer you the biggest compliment because you know it is true.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I don't mind it since I was so chubby for so long. The best compliment I got this weekend was from an old college buddy who looked at me up and down and said "yeah, I'd hit that... wanna make out?" and yes, he was drunk, but still... it was nice to be noticed. Of course, I declined since we're both married, but still... it's the thought that counts, right? LOL.
  • Salvi30
    Salvi30 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Compliment, of course.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Compliment or insult, it is dependent on the tone.

Around me people seem to only see two options: skinny or fat. Fit doesn't seem to exisit. So in general, being called skinny is a compliment because they equate it to health, even when they shouldn't.

Exception: "You're so skinny. Are you sure you're eating?"

My response: "Well, no I'm not sure. Food has this tendency to slip into my mouth unnoticed, so I could be eating and never know it."
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I was friendly with this girl who had a lovely figure. About a size 6-8 in UK. I called her skinny once and she had a tantrum about it, until then I hadn't realised it was a bad thing to call someone slim! I'd of given my right arm to of been called skinny lol. It's funny how everyone has their hang ups, she hated being so slim, and judged the word skinny as an insult. I saw it as a compliment...
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I was friendly with this girl who had a lovely figure. About a size 6-8 in UK. I called her skinny once and she had a tantrum about it, until then I hadn't realised it was a bad thing to call someone slim! I'd of given my right arm to of been called skinny lol. It's funny how everyone has their hang ups, she hated being so slim, and judged the word skinny as an insult. I saw it as a compliment...
    Also, to a lot of people, "skinny" and "slim" are not the same. I'd love to be thought of as slim, because to me that includes a fit body type, whereas skinny (to me) tends to imply too thin, with no muscle definition. Skinny is more of a supermodel body type.
  • Jerarr
    Options
    When people call me skinny or thin, it is usually followed by them complaining about a part on their body that they think is too big. "You're so skinny. I wish my butt wasn't so big. Your so lucky to be thin. It must be nice." They aren't happy with their own body, So I don't take it as a insult, but I don't take it as a compliment either. I'm usually at a loss for words. How am I supposed to answer that? Do I say thank you and ignore their slander against their own body? Saying, "O no your beautiful just the way you are," doesn't seem like a fair response all the time either. How should I respond?
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I haven't been thin long enough to take it as an insult. I am still thrilled even when they say I am too skinny.
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I would so not be offended to be called skinny.... hell of a lot better than being called fat!!! Think about it. My grandmother used to always say she was insulted when people called her skinny. Of course, she never had a weight problem EVER! Let her gain 50 pounds and have people call her fat.... Then I would like to ask her how she felt about skinny then...