Salmon cooking ideas

Options
bthumudo
bthumudo Posts: 79 Member
I'm looking for some new ideas for cooking salmon. I love salmon and with being so busy I usually find quick easy ways to cook it. Lately I've just been seasoning it with lemon pepper herb seasoning and grilling it or baking it with some salsa but want some other low cal, low carb, easy prep ideas for cooking it and taking the boredom out of the meal.
Feel free to add me too if you want, always looking for new friends and motivators and people to motivate. :)
Keep up the great work everyone!

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I usually poach mine in a little low sodium veggie broth. Once I flip it, the side that just cooked I sprinkle with garlic powder and Italian seasoning. yum :smile:
  • zela
    zela Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love my salmon and I like it simple like you describe it. Every once in a while I will sway from the typical lemon onto a greek style dish. Basically I just pepper the flesh out of the fillet and top it with feta cheese. On top add a few slices of tomatoe and if I have any green veggies/seasoning around. I like to serve it with steam brocolli or green beans.
  • Bennett056
    Bennett056 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think this recipe is great. It is called Quick and Easy Pecan-Crusted Dijon Salmon. It is found at KalynsKitchen.com. Rather than cooking in the oven we cooked it on a cedar plank on the BBQ. I hope you enjoy as much as I did.
  • bthumudo
    Options
    These all sound great keep em coming!
    Thanks!
  • MacDHH
    MacDHH Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I make it in the slow cooker. Wrap the fillet in foil, brush the top with a mixture of spices/flavourings (one of my faves is lemon juice with chopped basil or lime juice with cilantro) and olive oil (though I have done it without oil too to save on cals). I usually cook it for 4 hours on low, or 2 on high. It comes out nice and moist in the slow cooker. Serve with a side of couscous and green veg, and you've got a nice, healthy meal with minimal effort.
  • Chris_2013
    Chris_2013 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I love mine cooked on a soaked cedar plank on the BBQ with a topping of chopped cilantro, sun dried tomato, green onion, pepper, garlic and olive oil. The cedar burns underneath and the salmon gets a nice smoked flavour.
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I've been throwing some cajun spice mix on it and putting it on the foreman grill. Then squeeze some lemon on it before serving.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I like mine with a chili powder,cumin,brown sugar rub.... mmmmmmm.
  • leelee0623
    Options
    Tried this one from Self.com...so good and so easy!!!

Honey-Almond Salmon With Roasted Broccoli and Quinoa
    THE SKINNY 560 calories, 23 g fat (2 g saturated), 49 g carbs, 8 g fiber, 41 g protein
    SERVES 1

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Top a 5-oz skinless salmon fillet with 2 tsp grainy mustard, 1 1/2 tbsp honey-roasted sliced almonds (such as Wonderful Honey Roasted Almond Accents). Coat a baking sheet with vegetable oil cooking spray; place salmon, 1 cup broccoli florets on sheet. Bake until fish is opaque, 20 minutes. Cook 3/4 cup quinoa as directed on package. Toss broccoli with 1 tsp olive oil; season with salt and pepper; serve with salmon and quinoa.
  • LemonsAndCoffee
    LemonsAndCoffee Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Ooo. Bump to read later. I love salmon but never know what to do with it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Pour some A1 Chicago Steakhouse marinade over the filet and bake it for 20-30 minutes depending on the thickness. Yum!

In fact, I may be making this for dinner tonight if I can find a nice looking filet (I'm super picky) at the grocery store tonight. I like serving it on a bed of rice with a ceasar salad on the side.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I saute it w/ a little low sodium soy sauce (or one of those low calorie asian salad dressings, like 1/2 tbsp is all you need) and fresh ginger which adds very little calories. Serve it w/ asian slaw and it is very yummy!
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I brush salmon fillet with a thin layer of teriyaki paste and grill on a high heat so that the sauce caramelises . Served with half a large sweet potato and brocolli and small pat of butter. Not too heavy calorie-wise and quite filling.

My other favourite is brushed with olive oil, dill and lemon juice.
  • bthumudo
    Options
    I think I need to buy more salmon. I can't decide which one to try tonight!
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Put salmon in oven proof dish and spread on the top of it some Philadelphia. You can flavour the Philly with garlic or chilli or my favourite is wasabi! Oven cook for 20 minutes and eat with a big crunch salad!
  • MadtownMadisonian
    MadtownMadisonian Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    295 calories per 5 ounce serving as described below - personally i use far less butter and it comes out just fine.

The technique of slow roasting gives a firm-bodied fish like salmon such a tender texture that it practically melts in your mouth. To test for doneness, look not for flakiness but for a change in appearance from translucent to opaque.

Serves 8
    Ingredients:

3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened, plus additional for buttering the roasting pan
    3 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    1 tablespoon mustard seeds
    1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
    2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
    1 teaspoon honey
    8 five-ounce pieces center-cut salmon fillet, skinned
    Salt
    1/2 teaspoon white pepper

Directions:

Put a rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 225 degrees. Butter a roasting pan large enough to hold the salmon without crowding.

Stir together the butter, bread crumbs, parsley, mustard seeds, lime juice, mustard and honey in a small bowl until well combined.

Arrange the salmon skinned side down in the roasting pan and sprinkle with salt and white pepper. Spread mustard glaze evenly over salmon.

Roast until the fish is just cooked through (it will turn opaque), 25 to 30 minutes.

Recipe Source:

Adapted from vhef Sarah Stengner at the Ritz-Carlton in Chicago.
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    Bump - love fresh salmon!
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I spread dijon mustard over the top and bake it. Serve with plain yogurt mixed with fresh dill.
    My husband doesn't like yogurt, and it's still awesome just covered with dijon mustard.
  • lmccarthy2011
    lmccarthy2011 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I make this at least once a week, it's delicious!
    2 (5 ounce) salmon fillets
    Pinch salt
    Pinch freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 (10 ounce) package baby spinach, coarsely chopped
    1 tablespoon prepared pesto
    1 1/2 teaspoons chopped dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes
    1 1/2 teaspoons pine nuts
    Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Make a slit two-thirds of the way through the center of each salmon fillet making sure not to cut all the way through. Season each fillet with the salt and pepper. In a bowl, combine the spinach, pesto, tomatoes, and pine nuts. Spoon 1/3 cup of the mixture into each slit.
    Arrange the fillets on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Roast for 8 to 10 minutes or until the spinach mixture is heated through.