Taking Care of My Knees Before a Run

Options
Hey everyone, I tried looking for this but didn't see it posted so hoping someone can help me out.

I have Retropatellar Pain Syndrome in both knees (overuse from my time in the army). My doctors have advised against running, I listened to that for 8 years, but I like to run and it takes away my stress. I've been running without a problem for the last 4 years, but recently my knees have been acting up.

Problem is I have a marathon next month. Why? Because I was told I couldn't do it. Call me hard headed, but I'm doing it. I've given myself a year to complete my bucket list of running events. In addition to the marathon, I have a Tough Mudder and Spartan later this year. I am also participating in several smaller mud runs, as well as 5ks.

My question is, what kind of stretches and strengthening tips do you have? Any tips as far as race day?

Replies

• Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    LOOOOOOVE the attitude!!! Sounds like someone else I might know. :)) Anyway, I have a knee deformity and was told to never run....well, here I am running and loving it. Anyway, I was always told that if I kept my quads and hammies strong, that my knees would be better protected. With you being a seasoned runner, I can only assume that your leg muscles are already quite developed. The only other advice I can offer and it is strictly my personal opinion....I take organic flaxseed oil from Vitamin Shoppe every night before bed. It offers a host of benefits that you can look up and then decide for yourself if you think that it might be beneficial for you. I do admit, that my joints feel great even with all the torture I subject them to. My muscles may feel fatigued at times, but, my joints never hurt. Just a thought for you to check into. Good luck!

Only exercises that I do to strengthen my leg area there would be leg raises, single leg weighted squats (although these may be bothersome at first) and lunges.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll try the flaxseed! I'll try the squats, but need to avoid the lunges (those really irritate my knees). But, you know I have laxed up on my leg presses thinking that if I was running I wouldn't need to do as many. I wonder if that might be why they're getting more irritated? Something to test out this week for sure. :)

Thanks again Sheryl!!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    This is why people think runners are crazy, with rational justification.
    I agree with the strengthening advice. Not only is having stronger legs somewhat protective, but the days you strengthen your legs gives you a workout day that helps running but spares you the pounding and insult of a long run.
    The older I get, the more important I find that rest days are. I do not recuperate as fast. I need those off days for my little injuries to recover.
  • RunIntheMud
    Options
    Well, crazy is not always a bad thing. :)

And, thank you so much! That's a good way to put it into perspective for me.
  • Mels707
    Mels707 Posts: 101
    Options
    I've heard that runners often have knee problems in part due to underdeveloped hamstrings. The quads get all the work and create an imbalance. Try focusing on your hamstrings...leg curls, etc.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Swimming and using stretchy bands will strengthen the muscles and help hold everything in place.

But if I was told I have a knee problem and running will make it worse, well, I want to be able to walk when I]'m 60, so ...
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I've found my knees feel a LOT better when I stretch out really well. Also, I got something at a running expo called "the stick" (https://www.thestick.com/ - I have the stiff one) and it has been a lifesaver!! It's really, really good at getting out tight spots on my quads, which seem to correlate with my particular knee pain.

Good luck and have fun at that marathon!! :drinker: I'm doing one next month too - my first :)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    After a torn meniscus surgery, I was told that running would be a "treat" and to stick with the bike the elliptical or swim - yeah, right! They don't know me! Here is what I do to take care of my knees.

- Lots of water
    - For me (only 30% respond) I use glucosamine and chondroitin along with MSM and fish oil. Big difference! It takes about 30 days to start to work, and I find that the GNC brand is the best.
    - I run on the local track for my easy long runs because it is rubberized. I just need to do the miles, so why not. I do hills on other runs.
    - I keep the speed down under 10 MPH.
    - I changed my style a bit, bending at the ankles and practiced keeping the feet lower to the ground. Heel strikes are really bad for knees, so avoid them.
    - I stretch doing squats, lunges and pull backs. I do calf stretches and toe stretches. ALL AFTER HEAT! I have found that the hot tub is the best place, but if you don't have one, maybe the sauna at the local Y or a hot shower. I do the same after a 5 minute warm up - but it is not as good as the heat.

I don't like rest days, but I take at least one a week and stretch on those days. I am up to 11 mile runs and working towards a half in a few weeks. The advice of the chiropractor, the podiatrist and the PT have really helped.

Good luck.
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'd never heard of your syndrome so I googled it. This website seems to offer some good advice on it. I read that pateollofemoral pain syndrome is another name for your condition.
    http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/knee-pain/patellofemoral-pain-syndrome
  • dsjohndrow
    Options
    I'd never heard of your syndrome so I googled it. This website seems to offer some good advice on it. I read that pateollofemoral pain syndrome is another name for your condition.
    http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/knee-pain/patellofemoral-pain-syndrome

That is a great article for the treatment; all of which I found effective.

My problem was getting rid of it all together. I have the shoe inserts, I had to change my running style a little to reduce the over pronation. I use Motrin after a long run, but I am looking into natural anti-inflammatories. The heat and stretching continues to be my best ally.
  • justnname
    justnname Posts: 162
    Options
    I have artthritis in both knee caps, so running, lunges and squats are no longer allowed in my workouts. To take place of running, I found Kangoo Jumps. You get to run without pain. www.kangoojumps.com
  • RunIntheMud
    Options
    Wow!! Thank you all for your advice!! This is a lot of great info. :happy:

dsjohndrow....mine told me to stick with the elliptical as well. I do that during the winter, but I can't stay away from running. It's just what I do! So, I completely understand where you are coming from. You have a lot of tips that I hadn't considered. Thank you so much for that! I have been keeping to about 8 miles and below, however I wanted to get 1 marathon done in my lifetime. So...hopefully that will be out of my system next month. ;)

buzzcogs...thanks for the link!! I swear sometimes I live up to my blondeness. I was diagnosed with it 12 years ago and the doctor's basically said "stretch". There wasn't much else they had to say at that time. I've mentioned it to my VA doctors, but they blow it off. Thanks again.

KL...Good luck on yours as well! You're not doing the Richmond marathon are you? That's where I'll be. :)

rml....Point recieved and taken. But, I have two legs that have always run. Once I get through the marathon, the furthest I'll run is for the Tough Mudder, which is no longer than 12 miles and even that is broken up by 20+ obstacles along the way. :)
  • dsjohndrow
    Options
    Wow!! Thank you all for your advice!! This is a lot of great info. :happy:

dsjohndrow....mine told me to stick with the elliptical as well. I do that during the winter, but I can't stay away from running. It's just what I do! So, I completely understand where you are coming from. You have a lot of tips that I hadn't considered. Thank you so much for that! I have been keeping to about 8 miles and below, however I wanted to get 1 marathon done in my lifetime. So...hopefully that will be out of my system next month. ;)

LOL - I doubt it. I had 2 surgeries and I am still out there.

BTW - I hate the elliptical.
  • RunIntheMud
    Options
    Well....the marathon bug. Not the running bug. :)
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I too have the same problem with my knees, compounded by chrondromalicia and OA (also military).
    You can do squats and lunges with minimal discomfort by using a patella hinged knee wrap:

http://www.bell-horn.com/Orthopedics/Knee-Braces

best stabliizer ever! I'm currently doing NROLFW, lots of various squats, lunges, and step ups!