lose the wheat, lose the weight

Options

Replies

• rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    I never cut out dairy.. but did cut down.

I consume a lot of dairy, still losing weight.
    Not to put TMI on the table.. but with cutting out processed bread.. whole wheat... beans... etc... I am no longer gaseous.
    That's about the only thing it did for me.

beans + nonfat yogurt = no gas either. I use beans in gluten free baked items, the chocolate brownies I make are made with black beans. I personally have no gas problems from it either (the portion is not large), and eating it is fine as long as calories in are less than calories out. I measure the sweet items very carefully so dessert always remains 100-150 calories. Which for me, portion and calorie control alongside regular exercise are really the only things that work.

Seriously, what worked the best for me diet-wise was a good food scale, obsessively measuring calories and adjusting serving sizes accordingly. I eat pretty much anything other than gluten due to my celiac disease. I eat in moderation, log everything that passes my lips, not too many carbs but not low carb either, make sure I get enough protein, dietary calcium from lowfat dairy sources, and fiber. It is working for me, but its just one celiac's opinion ;)
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Gluten free is the current pseudoscience fad. It's the new bogeyman. Sure, some people have allergies, just like with other foods. However, I like wheat, and seem to be doing fine with it in my diet.

Lactose, on the other hand, caused me all sorts of painful icky issues. It's my belly's kryptonite.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I disagree completely. Whole grains (oatmeal, whole grain bread, whole grain pasta, etc) are staples in my diet.
    Now lose the REFINED carbs, then we're talking.
  • labyrinthrunner
    Options
    I'm also a celiac. I managed to be obese without eating any wheat at all. However, I took it one step further recently and eliminated all grains and I am losing weight. Is it because grains are awful? No, its because without grains, I lose processed food. Without processed food, I'm stuck eating fruits, veggies, meats and dairy. It works for me. Might not work for everybody.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I never cut out dairy.. but did cut down.

I consume a lot of dairy, still losing weight.
    Not to put TMI on the table.. but with cutting out processed bread.. whole wheat... beans... etc... I am no longer gaseous.
    That's about the only thing it did for me.

beans + nonfat yogurt = no gas either. I use beans in gluten free baked items, the chocolate brownies I make are made with black beans. I personally have no gas problems from it either (the portion is not large), and eating it is fine as long as calories in are less than calories out. I measure the sweet items very carefully so dessert always remains 100-150 calories. Which for me, portion and calorie control alongside regular exercise are really the only things that work.

Seriously, what worked the best for me diet-wise was a good food scale, obsessively measuring calories and adjusting serving sizes accordingly. I eat pretty much anything other than gluten due to my celiac disease. I eat in moderation, log everything that passes my lips, not too many carbs but not low carb either, make sure I get enough protein, dietary calcium from lowfat dairy sources, and fiber. It is working for me, but its just one celiac's opinion ;)

That's what works for you and that is wonderful. But doesn't work for everyone else. I eat yogurt too... but if I eat grains... I am gonna have gas.

I use a food scale as well. So....??

Options
    I cut out eating broccoli and cauliflower. I've lost over thirty pounds so that must be the reason.
    <groan>
    <rolleyes>
    I still eat bread though...
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I'm not celiac, but am wheat-sensitive. Causes no end of digestive/intestinal issues.
    Dunno if it really does much pro/con wrt weight
  • Squiggs67
    Squiggs67 Posts: 178
    Options
    I totally agree! I feel so much better since giving up wheat. I have it once in a blue moon and usually end up regretting it. I bake with chick pea flour and spelt flour now. I lost my belly fat too!!
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I own a horse.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    To each his own. I have read clips from the Wheat Belly blog, cut out the grains for the last month or so for now & so far bloating is subsiding. I do plan to reintroduce myself back to grains but I'll be thinking on the terms of sprouted grains in my future. It has been an interseting journey finding out what works & what to eliminate, that includes friuts and veggies. If you don't have to give it up enjoy it. :drinker: But It's definately working for me!:bigsmile:
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I limit my wheat - I find that it makes me feel bloated and get gassy. :( Two things not conducive to me being happy.
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I've cut the grains for almost 6 months now! I increased my fat consumption too!
    My training hasn't suffered, I feel better, stronger, faster & more alert!

I train 13 sessions a week (approx 9hrs) with a mixture of mixed martial arts, kickboxing, grappling, running (mainly sprint work with the odd 10k or 10miler thrown in), event driven chaotic circuits (sandbags/waterballs/bodyweight etc...)!

I feel better then ever! My friends who dropped grains (who don't exercise) have dropped 1 stone each in 4 weeks!

Oh and I've not been sick over this period since dropping it!

I didn't read the "wheat belly" book, although I'm aware of it, I noted some of the high kcals in my diet were from the complex carbs I was consuming. Then after researching why they were so high, I discovered Mark Sisson (marksdailyapple.com). After further research and cross referencing other data, I decided to try it for 6 weeks.

I would say to people, try it for 6 weeks, if you don't feel any improvement after 6 weeks, then it's up to you if you want to continue with it or not.

I could argue my case, but in the world of pseudo science, it's just going to put people into camps.

So experiment, it's your body, your health, tune what you put into your body and see if the output works for you.
    You are an experiment of one!

:)
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I own a horse.
    Precisely.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I call BS!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I cut out eating broccoli and cauliflower. I've lost over thirty pounds so that must be the reason.
    <groan>
    <rolleyes>
    I still eat bread though...

:laugh:
  • MonkeyBars
    Options
    perhaps wheat will go the way of tobacco?

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2011/oct2011_Wheat-The-Unhealthy-Whole-Grain_01.htm

what I find interesting is remembering one of my great grand parents and all my grand parents.
    They weren't fat and lived into their 90s & never went to a gym.
    They also used to eat a lot of fat (lard anyone!)...and they didn't have diabetes.

Meat and 2 veg was the order of the day, pasta & rice were seen as foreign food and shunned.

I wonder if the nay sayers have the bottle to drop grains from their diet for 6 weeks and can blog it.
    It would be interesting ;)

BTW - I didn't cut grains to lose weight, I cut them because they appeared to not offer any nutrition for the amount of kcals they deliver. And I wanted to experiment with something that when considering evolution, wasn't in our diet as a species for more than 10,000 years.

If you google nutrition on grains, you get the usual pro-grain blurb sponsored by the food industry.
    Then again, didn't they do the same with smoking in the 1960s as it was (and still is) a large multi-million dollar industry?
    http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20307049,00.html

Maybe we don't get lung cancer from smoking?
    Maybe we don't get intestinal leakage and other allergies from wheat?

Your body can't do without fats and protein.
    It can do without carbs from wheat.
  • eggfooyumyum
    eggfooyumyum Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Some people metabolize wheat just fine and experience no side-effects. Those of Scots-Irish descent may find they are the ones who have a lower tolerance to wheat and wheat by-products. This isn't to be confused with Celiac Disease. Celiac causes people to become violently ill when they consume wheat, and wheat by-products.

Having said that, there are many people who have an "Intolerance" to wheat and/or gluten. An intolerance implies unpleasant side-effects that aren't life threatening. The following are my symptoms when I eat wheat gluten, more than on rare occasions. I get hives on my arms and face. They itch and I now have faint scars from scratching them. I become bloated and experience constipation. My immediate reaction is what I call "brain cloud." I become very tired and I have a hard time concentrating. The number one sign of wheat intolerance is regret! And you know what I'm talking about if you are wheat intolerant. If you don't, lucky you... now go away and hush-up.

There have been studies that show people who are allergic or intolerant of wheat actually crave more of the thing that is making them ill. The body is trying to produce an antibody, and as we all know the vaccine IS the illness from which you are trying to protect yourself. Thus, eating pasta or bread is often a simple pleasure that tuns into a vicious cycle of over consumption and illness.

Those who are intolerant to wheat pasta and bread might find "gluten free" options more tolerable. I happen to do best when I eat modest amounts of gluten free alternatives.
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It sure has worked for me. :)

Very happily Primal for almost a year and a half, and just completed a Whole30.

I am the smallest and fittest I've ever been - not to mention the happiest. I don't care if it gets press or is "trendy" or whatever - I care that I am no longer addicted to food, and I feel healthy and free for the first time in my entire life.

:)
    Amy
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    perhaps wheat will go the way of tobacco?

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2011/oct2011_Wheat-The-Unhealthy-Whole-Grain_01.htm

what I find interesting is remembering one of my great grand parents and all my grand parents.
    They weren't fat and lived into their 90s & never went to a gym.
    They also used to eat a lot of fat (lard anyone!)...and they didn't have diabetes.

Meat and 2 veg was the order of the day, pasta & rice were seen as foreign food and shunned.

I wonder if the nay sayers have the bottle to drop grains from their diet for 6 weeks and can blog it.
    It would be interesting ;)

BTW - I didn't cut grains to lose weight, I cut them because they appeared to not offer any nutrition for the amount of kcals they deliver. And I wanted to experiment with something that when considering evolution, wasn't in our diet as a species for more than 10,000 years.

If you google nutrition on grains, you get the usual pro-grain blurb sponsored by the food industry.
    Then again, didn't they do the same with smoking in the 1960s as it was (and still is) a large multi-million dollar industry?
    http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20307049,00.html

Maybe we don't get lung cancer from smoking?
    Maybe we don't get intestinal leakage and other allergies from wheat?

Your body can't do without fats and protein.
    It can do without carbs from wheat.

Comparing wheat to tobacco and providing a link to an interview of the wheat Belly author? lol

Did your grandparents and great grandparents eat bread or was that similarly shunned?

Wheat wasn't in our diet for more than 10,000 yrs?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC470712/?tool=pubmed
  • MonkeyBars
    Options
    my data came from a pro grain site

http://www.wholegrainscouncil.org/files/SlavinArticle0504.pdf

but then we can throw web links around all day

http://io9.com/5917339/why-eating-like-a-caveman-may-be-the-way-of-the-future

I remember us only having 3 meals a day with them, it was always cooked except after a Sunday roast, for tea on a Sunday the food was always cold cuts.

I never saw my grand parents ever eat a sandwich, something invented in the UK 250 years ago.

Test it yourself, try it for 6 weeks. I was surprised as for years I'd always advocated a complex carb low fat diet for sports.
    I've been active all my life and I've never felt so good.