A little laugh for us grammar Nazis

Replies

• DG82
    DG82 Posts: 105
    Ahh I could totally relate to this, I'm a grammar Nazi! :-)
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Love this! I'm a complete Grammar Nazi...have to be in my line of work!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    That's awesome!
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    This is a serious question...Are they still teaching English grammar in American schools? Or is all of this poor grammar coming from the "2nd language" newcomers crowd?:noway: If the problem is the schools...No wonder so many parents are doing their own home schooling.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    I almost wet my pants.
  • loumaag
    loumaag Posts: 118
    Ah the hell with it, I quit.

Here's the damn link.
    http://i48.tinypic.com/eq9k6g.jpg
    Let me give it a shot. Click to a new tab to see the whole picture.
    eq9k6g.jpg
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    This is a serious question...Are they still teaching English grammar in American schools? Or is all of this poor grammar coming from the "2nd language" newcomers crowd?:noway: If the problem is the schools...No wonder so many parents are doing their own home schooling.

Well, I learned grammar and spelling in school and it's a particular talent of mine. Then I see people post on Facebook who went to the same schools I went to and who had the same teachers I had at the exact same time I had them and their spelling and grammar and overall written communication is HORRID. So I can't necessarily blame schools or teachers because if that were the case, then we should all be equally good at it or equally bad at it.

I know not the answer. I only know how annoying it is.
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    This is by far the funniest thing I have seen in a long time! Thanks!
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member

Well, I learned grammar and spelling in school and it's a particular talent of mine. Then I see people post on Facebook who went to the same schools I went to and who had the same teachers I had at the exact same time I had them and their spelling and grammar and overall written communication is HORRID. So I can't necessarily blame schools or teachers because if that were the case, then we should all be equally good at it or equally bad at it.

Its texting. I am a history professor. Most of my students don't know how to spell real words anymore because they text all day. They actually turn in papers with the texting 'shortcuts' or whatever those are called. U know...stuff lik dis.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
  • rml_16

Its texting. I am a history professor. Most of my students don't know how to spell real words anymore because they text all day. They actually turn in papers with the texting 'shortcuts' or whatever those are called. U know...stuff lik dis.

That explains the younger generations. But I graduated high school in 1995 and people I went to school with do this, too. I refuse to do "text speak," even when I text. I avoided texting until I had a full keyboard on my phone.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member

That explains the younger generations. But I graduated high school in 1995 and people I went to school with do this, too. I refuse to do "text speak," even when I text. I avoided texting until I had a full keyboard on my phone.
    I'm 9 years older than my brother. But when he was in elem school, they were teaching him to spell by sounding it out. And they wouldn't correct his incorrect spelling. They said they would "get around" to correcting spelling the following year. He would write little papers, completely full of incorrectly spelled words. I was appalled. So was my mom. But that was the curriculum in that area at the time. (early 1990s, GA)

So he learns how to spell one way. Then has to "relearn" how to spell correctly later on. Stupid. Makes me question the intelligence level of people running the school system.
  • rml_16
    I'm 9 years older than my brother. But when he was in elem school, they were teaching him to spell by sounding it out. And they wouldn't correct his incorrect spelling. They said they would "get around" to correcting spelling the following year. He would write little papers, completely full of incorrectly spelled words. I was appalled. So was my mom. But that was the curriculum in that area at the time. (early 1990s, GA)

So he learns how to spell one way. Then has to "relearn" how to spell correctly later on. Stupid. Makes me question the intelligence level of people running the school system.

That's insane! But I'm talking about people who I went to high school with. They had the same teachers I had at the same time, and they're grammar idiots.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    I'm too lazy to cut and paste the link...was it worth it?
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    This thing drives me insane.

I'm not a grammar Nazi...mostly because i make some glaring grammar errors in my life. Not because I'm bad with the language, but rather because most mistakes I make a purely a result of my disability.

Like run on sentences; I'm horrible for those. I asked a university professor to help me with them and he looked me with a bored face and said, just sound the sentence out, the natural sentence breaks will be clear.

Then he turned white, then red, then white, then red again.....

and proceeded to apologize.

It was at that point that I decided grammar could be damned.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    apostrophes-200.gif
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    That was hilarious.
    My favorite sign dates back to the year 2000, on Route 96 in Missouri.
    It read:
    Hoss Stole. Reward.
  • Clumz27
    Clumz27 Posts: 60 Member
    LOVE IT!
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Epic, it was a fun read.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    I got one. I saw a sign on a car. Fo Sale..