Plain yogurt help!

Options
Does anyone know how I can make plain yogurt taste good? I have never had it before but my SO brought me home some last night. I tasted it and it taste like sour cream. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some tips on making it taste better.

I usually use light strawberry yogurt and put it in my smoothies quite often as well as eat it by itself. I am afraid if I put the plain yogurt in my smoothie it will ruin the whole thing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    anyone??
  • rrneal625
    rrneal625 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I always buy nonfat flavored low cal yogurt these days but growing up my mother always bought plain...she added a touch of honey or jam to help with the taste.
  • gretchen1224
    Options
    I have never done this, but I have a friend that always buys plain yogurt and flavors it with splenda and vanilla.
  • muamontreal
    muamontreal Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I put Stevia in it if I want to eat it by itself
    If mixed in a smoothie, I don't change a thing because fruit will sweeten it !
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It'll be fine in a smoothie. If the fruit doens'y sweeten it enough you could add some honey.

As you say, it's like sour cream - so use it everywhere you'd use sour cream!

I like mine with berries for breakfast. Its great for overnight oats. Or as a mayo substitute for tuna sandwich filling. Or grate some cucmber or tomato into it for a savoury dip/ curry accompnaiement.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I always buy full fat plain yoghurt - particularly the 'Total' one as it's delicious and doesn't take much to sweeten and is deliciously creamy on it's own (plus you get a sizeable amount for 100 calories considering it's full fat!). I sweeten yoghurt mostly with 'Sweet Freedom' or Agave Nectar (not a huge sugar fan) and eat plain yoghurt with my muesli in the morning with a splash of milk - very filling! : )
  • runningonmargaritas
    Options
    I buy flavored greek yogurt for snacks to save time. I do use plain low fat to make savory dips and sub it for mayo in tuna and chicken salad.

My latest obsession is a sriracha dipping sauce for sweet potato fries... 8oz plain greek yogurt, 2 tsp sriracha sauce, 1 tbs lime juice and some garlic powder to taste.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Plain yogurt is what i always use for smoothies. I add in a banana and some hemp seeds and either fruit or juice or hemp milk, or sometimes cow's milk. Sometimes I use honey or stevia. I have tried to dress it up to just eat like regular yogurt, but it never tastes right. But in a smoothie, it's just the base to give it thickness.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I always buy greek non-fat (0%) plain yogurt.

For breakfast, I mix it with fresh fruit & granola :smile:

And at night for a snack, I mix 1/2 cup of non-fat (0%) plain greek yogurt with a sprinkle (about 1 tsp or to taste) of sugar free cheesecake jello pudding mix..........

It tastes like a real cheesecake and then you can sprinkle your crushed low fat graham cracker in it too for the crust :wink:
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Plain yogurt is great in smoothies, the fruit makes it pretty sweet, plus I add a vanilla protein powder to my smoothies so it makes it sweeter as well. I also mix my vanilla protein powder into it with ginger and a bit of citrus to make a fruit dip, yum. If you aren't avoiding artificial sweeteners a tablespoon of SF/FF jello pudding mix in 1/2 cup makes a great dip or pudding. Honey is always good on plain yogurt with a bit of fruit. I also like to take a packet of instant fruit flavored oatmeal and mix it together with about 4 oz fruit and leave it in the fridge overnight, the yogurt softens the oatmeal and is very good.
  • Eat_clean_stay_tiny
    Options
    Cinnamon
    Honey
    Agave
    Fresh fruit
    Coconut and pineapple with no calorie sweetener or maple syrup
    Dark chocolate shavings
    Cocoa powder

Plain yogurt is my favorite. I really just love layering it with a banana and sugar free maple syrup and it tastes like a banana cream pie
  • healthy4heidi
    healthy4heidi Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% Greek yogurt + 1 tbsp of honey = Yum!
  • EnuffaMyButt
    EnuffaMyButt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I like adding some pumpkin spice at this time of year. A little agave nectar, truvia, etc. so sweeten. It does taste like sour cream. (which is great to add on taco dishes etc)

you can also add some SF jam or jelly and mix well. My favorite addition is about 2ozs. frozen blueberries.
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    The other day i madeeee my own low cal strawberry cheese cake at a grand toal of 213 cals

120g x plain yogurt
    1 x cup of raw strawberries
    2 x crushed breakfast bellvita biscuits

YUM

You could layer it or like me just mix it all up haha
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Honey
    Raisins
    Jam (apple butter is nummy)
    Pureed Pumpkin (and some cinnamon and splenda)
  • tiffyree
    tiffyree Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this, but have heard of people added a drink mix to it (like crystal light)
  • tiffyree
    tiffyree Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    or use it to make a dip, add onion soup mix, or dill seasoning and onion pepper and celery salt. Both good w/ veggies or crackers
  • angel_eyes17
    angel_eyes17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Fresh berries and granola. If berries are out of season, I buy frozen strawberries and let them defrost over night. I also buy different kinds of granola every week and it changes the taste. I'm addicted. I eat this almost every day.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I add garlic, lemon juice, and sea salt to make a wonderful sauce or dip.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    one drop of vanilla, blueberries and walnuts. YUMMY!