Restriction or Moderation??

Options
13»

Replies

• ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I guess you'd call it moderation, though I never think of it that way. I think of it as flexibility. Nothing is off-limits completely, but there is sort of a food hierarchy from best to worst options. So ideally, I'll have skinless chicken breast and fresh fruits and green vegetables. But on days like today, where I have just a dollar in my bank account because I'm still waiting on a student loan check, that's just not happening; I had to move to the cheaper options of pork and potatoes. If I were strictly low-fat or low-carb, I'd be thrown right off my plan. But since I don't do that, it just requires a little tweaking to make an entirely different menu work. For me, flexibility is really the most important consideration and that's impossible to do on a strict plan.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Mostly moderation but also planning, portion control and smarter choices. I can't do restrictive diets - tried in the past and always failed because after a while, not being "allowed" do have something just made me want it all the more and eventually I'd say screw it and give up. Also, IMHO, life without pizza and chocolate is just not living!! LOL! I'm a much happier girl this way...
  • pilatemom
    pilatemom Posts: 111
    Options
    I think for me moderation works the best but then again at one point restriction 90% of the time worked very well for me. When I go by moderation, I always keep junk around and sometimes go past the limit I gave myself, when I use the 90% restriction rule, I break it ever so often and buy a shake or something. Sooo... Maybe restriction actually.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    restriction on the every day diet... moderation on special occasions...

if you TRUELY believe in moderation then you need to measure all of the food you eat in oder to get an accurate amount of calories... so if you choose to eat a calorically dense food such as chocolate cake or ice cream you have to measure it out closely in order to have true moderation.

^^this

I find it much easier to just minimize certain foods rather than always measuring them out and counting up the calories.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I always say (for myself)
    moderation, not deprivation.

it works for me.
  • robin820
    robin820 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I agree a little bit of both plays a big role. If there is something you cna not absolutely stop eating once you start (like potato chips for me) I restrict them period, I have found vegetable straws to replace them, or fill a craving. But as far as dessert or anythign else that can be eaten in moderation, I use that wisely.
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Restriction with Fast food and Sodas, moderation on everything else. I lose faster if I restrict more than moderate, but I couldn't keep it up for the rest of my life.
  • LivingInPuglia
    LivingInPuglia Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Moderation within restrictive boundaries.

That is an answer that gets my vote!

and mine .... there are a few things I avoid most of the time - bread, salty snacks, chocolate, everything else is allowed in moderation. And I have found that my cravings have pretty much gone away. But if I really want something I will have it and make sure I have enough calories to cover it!
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Moderation all the way!!! Otherwise I will binge and gain the 23lbs Ive lost thus far right back. Thats a NO GO :noway:
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    restriction on the every day diet... moderation on special occasions...

if you TRUELY believe in moderation then you need to measure all of the food you eat in oder to get an accurate amount of calories... so if you choose to eat a calorically dense food such as chocolate cake or ice cream you have to measure it out closely in order to have true moderation.

Yep. Gotta agree with Monty on this one. For me restriction is just easier. I find moderation way more difficult. The more I eat junk food the more I crave it. When I cut it out completely I don't crave it nearly as much. There are occasions that I'll partake in unhealthy eating habits (weddings, holidays) but they're few and far between.
  • jocybee83
    jocybee83 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's both for me. There are some things that I can't even let myself have because once I get started there's no stopping me...oreos, crackers...
  • richellekramer
    Options
    I have to go with restriction - especially when it comes to pasta, my BIGGEST weakness. But, I am finding that I am not dreaming about it and craving nearly as much as I used to.

I go for feeling full, so like to eat lots of big salads, veggies, and popcorn. I eat most of my calories at night, the time of day that I just want to chew chew chew, and try not to eat my excercise calories back.

I don't get it though, I am not losing 2 lbs per week despite the calorie deficit and I just don't buy into the starvation mode when I have a BMI in the mid 40's. It's so frustating......
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Moderation.

By restricting things from my diet, I tend to not want to eat as healthy and when I get a hold of what I'm restricting myself from, it's bad news.

By doing moderation, I can eat everything and anything I want, as long as I eat it moderately. Portion size is my biggest problem!

I also don't believe in "cheats"
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I think for me moderation works the best but then again at one point restriction 90% of the time worked very well for me. When I go by moderation, I always keep junk around and sometimes go past the limit I gave myself, when I use the 90% restriction rule, I break it ever so often and buy a shake or something. Sooo... Maybe restriction actually.

This is exactly how i was. When i tried moderation there were just too many things that would make me crave more bad stuff so it made it easier to cut them out for the most part. Thankfully ive never been a huge sugar craver, more greasy food lol it has gotten easier the longer i have gone and i think at this point in my journey its all about nutrition and the quality of what i eat. I have actually been able to find some new recipes and alternatives to some of my favs that fit into my eating plan very well, but i like to cook so its made it much easier for me :) and because of my pcos, some foods just dont work well w my body, even sometimes when i occasionally treat myself, it halts my progress, which really does suck. Sometimes i wish i could eat something without negative effect but ive learned to live with it.

Thank you all again for your responses, i love to see what works for people doing it the right way without diet pills and fad diets. I think most people have finally learned it is a lifestyle change and being able to live with something is whats most important. I think both ways are both good and kinda intertwine because of the fact that no one is perfect and deprivation is worse then giving in sometimes.
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Well, I am on and off the wagon so I'm learning that while moderation is definitely the goal, some foods I MUST restrict until I gain greater control over myself. Luckily, I really DO like most of the foods that I eat and when I eat in a balanced way, my cravings are controllable with simple logic.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Moderation for me, especially now that I'm around where I want to be indefinitely.

That being said, if it's pure and utter crap, then I just don't eat it. I mean like... fried twinkie style crap. I do love fast food once in a while (MMMMM, Wendys) but I try to eat "real food" 99.9% of the time.