How many eggs per week

Options
Im confused about how many eggs are okay to eat in a week? I have a friend who eats 2 a day EVERY DAY and her trainer says thats okay. I thought it raised your cholesterol? Any thoughts?

Replies

• trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I ate two daily just about the entire time I was actively loosing and still eat quite a few eggs. Easily a dozen/week. I've never had any egg related issues. I LOVE eggs. Love.
  • kimr41
    kimr41 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I eat 1 egg every day, usually 2 on weekends. My cholesterol is fine so far.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    All of them that you can fit into your calorie/macro goals.

My historically high cholesterol was lower than it ever was (and lower than I had hoped it would be) at my last physical and I was eating at least two eggs a day up to that point. Research that I have done indicates that exercise has more effect on cholesterol than does eating eggs.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I eat 21 per week (3 per day)
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    As many as you feel fit within reason...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7882850.stm
  • Colonel_Brandon
    Colonel_Brandon Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about it, eat egg whites!
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs all the time.

I had two for breakfast today, two yesterday and have no problems (:
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    I am a man, so my biology is a little bit different than yours, but I can eat up to 7 or 8 in a day. Not gonna kill ya, I believe. It is just packed with protein as well as some fat. The sodium/potassium is pretty balanced, but it is the cholesterol in the yolk that is the worry. If you have an aptitude for collecting and storing cholesterol (such as those with high cholesterol) Then I would say eat in moderation. But I use it for the protein. about 9g per egg. Yum!
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks are high in cholesterol but that isn't a huge issue, its eating them in combination with a thousand other high in cholesterol foods that you need to start sweating the bad numbers. Id eat them more often than twice a week if I didn't have so many other tasty options to pick from :laugh:

EGGS AREN'T EVIL

At least not until the next study on eggs comes out, then all bets are off.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Blasphemy
  • 1Year100Pounds
    1Year100Pounds Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you have no issues with cholesterol, you can safely eat about 2 eggs a day (or a dozen a week), and quite possibly more if the rest of your diet is healthy... If you want more there is always the option of having 1 or 2 eggs and mixing in whites for extra protein.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I eat one for breakfast regularly. For the protein. If I want two, I've been known to eat one whole egg, and one egg white. That helps eliminate some of the fat and cholesterol.
  • wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have high cholesterol, but I have started eating about 2 eggs a day. Eggs have less cholesterol than previously thought, and saturated fat has more of an effect on blood cholesterol than the cholesterol in food does. Or, as my husband pointed out, the "gobs of full fat cheddar cheese" that I used to have with my scrambled eggs probably hurt my cholesterol more than the eggs themselves.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, the cholesterol in eggs is actually the good kind and eggs are so packed with protein and other nutrients (mostly in the yolk) that it's a win/win. I'll eat nearly 18/week and haven't had any issues with cholesterol.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Except no. You're ditching half the protein and all of the vitamins and minerals.

I eat 4 eggs per day, and would eat 6 if I didn't hate grocery shopping so much. Eggs are good for you
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    Yeah, I think it would be the pancakes that would have the 'bad" cholesterol. But I found some really good bacon to go with my eggs. I refuse to go without bacon, so I just combine it with my eggs. Eggs, bacon, and maybe some potatoes, I got a power punch of protein and potassium. That is a great start to the day!
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have 2 hard boiled eggs every day at work and cook scrambled or over easy eggs for breakfast Saturdays and Sundays. I have never had a cholesterol issue. Eggs are so yummy! I feel bad for my son; he's almost 3 but we found out he is allergic to them. He's missing out!
  • aarilynn
    aarilynn Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think it becomes bad when you're eating other high-fat, high-salt or high-cholesterol foods.... but if you're keeping your diet pretty decent, and exercising i don't think you should worry about eggs and their cholesterol. I'll eat no more than 2 whole ones per day...but most days when I do have whole eggs i try to keep it at one because i may of got too much fat in already. I do buy egg whites and I find that if I mix one whole egg with several egg whites, that's the best thing to do! :) It flavors the egg whites, has lots of protein and little fat! :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol in the foods you consume generally doesn't affect your actual blood cholesterol.

Eat as many eggs as you want. They're great for you!
  • sobit1970
    sobit1970 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I see the consensus is it doesnt matter how many I eat. I love them for breakfast because they really keep my hunger at bay.