Down 5 lbs in a week?! How?!

Options
So, from the subject line I think you know my question:)
I dropped a little over 5 lbs in a week. I was 225 on Monday, now I'm 219.6.
How? That's a bit much, isn't it?
My calorie intake goals are set so that I lose 2 lbs a week.

I'm happy just a little concerned.

I also indulged on quite a bit of wine a few days and nibbled on some not very healthy food quite a few days too!!

Replies

• lcwelter
    Options
    Some of it could be contributed to water weight, maybe? Great job!
  • sadyel
    sadyel Posts: 250
    Options
    Some of it could be contributed to water weight, maybe? Great job!

exactly what i was thinking, a couple of pound could have been actual fat loss, and the rest water weight, that can fluctuate especially 'the time of the month'
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Many factors could influence a 5lb drop. Could be you broke through a plateau could be water loss. Just keep up the good work and don't get discouraged if next week if that 5lbs is back. Your weight fluctuates.

If you consistently see 5lb drops and are eating healthy and exercising then please share with us what your doing. If you could tell people how to consistently lose 5 lbs a week in a healthy way you could be rich.
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Your "weight" is always a slightly inaccurate figure - each single measurement is always an approximation of how much "you" weigh.

Recorded weight can vary with time of month - I find some gain due to fluid retention before "that time" and loss during and after.

Add to that the fact that some foods hold more water in the digestive system than others (think pasta, porridge etc) and you'll see that what's in your digestive system can change what number appears on the scale.

The variability could be +/- 2 lb or so for each weight you take - IME.

Also remember the first week of any diet usually shows the highest weight loss.... later weeks will probably show slightly less each week.

So don't complain. Be happy! And aim to keep it off next week!
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Opps just seen you've already lost quite a bit... so not first week syndrome! lol
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    I used to weigh myself daily and it was not at all unusual for me to have big fluctuations from day to day, as much as 7 pounds. Usually when I was way down one day I was up a few pounds the next, but on average the scale was moving down at a safe, healthy rate. For me it seemed related to sodium intake (ie water retention), TOM, and volume of food consumed a few days prior.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    That would be your soul, leaving your body.
  • ArtsyJulz
    Options
    I am in a similar situation. Three days into my diet and I had dropped 6lbs (I am starting at a much heavier weight than you), and today, a week-and-a-half in, I am at 8lbs lost. I do believe a lot of it would be water weight, as others posters have said, but I also think, initially anyway, heavier people tend to lose weight at a faster rate than those who only need to lose 20 or 30lbs. As long as you are reaching your calorie/nutrition goals and exercising reasonably for your fitness level, don't stress. It's perfectly healthy to lose more than 2lbs a week if you are following a healthy diet/exercise program. I consider it one of life's little blessings to us "plump" folks, LOL! Keep up the good work and don't worry if you slip up now and then. Keep at it and you will hit your goal in no time! :)
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    5 lbs of what? I can drop 5 lbs of water from the time I go to sleep till the time I wake up.
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    Water...yep, I concur:laugh:
  • deanna_bond
    deanna_bond Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    yeah that depresses me i go from 220 down to 212 up to 223 I just dont weigh my self anymore
  • Sahara0815
    Options
    I tend to be on a cycle where for a couple weeks, I'm only losing tenths at a time, and then all of a sudden BAM!! - off it all comes at once. I chalk it up to hormonal fluctuations and water retention. Unless you have the huge losses consistently, I doubt you have a problem. Just make sure you watch your intakes and are getting good nutrition and lots of water. Good luck!!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    big.poops.

</thread>
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I did the same this week, but attributed it to NO alcohol at all this week and more water...at any rate, congrats!!
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    They key is, that you are staying around your calorie goals and going forward. I've only been on MFP for 4 weeks, and i've see up and down losses already. 7 in week 1, then 2, then 4, then 4 again. From everything I've seen and read, you will have the wierd losses and the key is the average.
  • kendraleigh88
    Options
    Water retention and lady things seem to make sense in my situation.
    I would love to continue to drop 5 lbs a week, though!

I agree as well with when you have a lot to lose, it can come off quick. I certainly have a lot to lose! But it's been coming off pretty good with eating healthier an exercise!
  • wannabeskinny27
    wannabeskinny27 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    it depends if it happens regularly or if you've just started dietng/loosing weight.
  • suznjane
    suznjane Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    sometimes when you've been dieting for a while, and you "indulge", it actually has the effect of speeding up your metabolism a bit and you may notice a better reading. Not saying you should always indluge too much, but I remember once losing a bunch of weight and then took a day off for Thanksgiving (and really enjoyed my day!) and the next day I had lost weight.

Also, Alchohol can dehydrate you. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Before I hit the 55-57lb lost mark I would lose 1lb a week for 2 or 3 weeks then drop 3-6lb then 1 for the next few weeks then 3-6. That cycle continued for a good few months. I would get confused that I was doing the same things, eating and logging, doing exercise. The same from week to week.

Then I noticed that if I looked at the average it all came out in the wash. Looking at the average I was losing just a smidge under 2lb a week. As I had set in my goal weight. Never did work out what was going on, but decided I did not mind.

Now I am just sat at 57lb down and nothing happening. See if running can break this plateau
  • LeighAnna115
    Options
    It is said the average person's weight fluctuates within 5 lbs every day, and can fluctuate up to 10 lbs in a day. It's probably a combination of actual fat loss and a low fluctuation due to any number of factors. I would enjoy the loss! But don't be upset if a little comes back next week. As another person said, this could be you breaking through a plateau. Think back to if you've been having a little trouble dropping weight recently... If that's the case and this was your first loss in a while, it's probably you breaking through that plateau and luckily the loss should stick!