What kind of milk to drink?

Options
2»

Replies

• Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    As long as it's white... go for it.

Unless you drink nothing but milk from the moment you wake up until the moment you go to sleep I don't think the sugars in milk are going to cause you damage.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I have read that the maximum recommended sugar intake in general refers to added sugar rather than sugar naturally found in fruit or other foods. I don't generally use sugar, but I also don't keep track of the grams of sugar from milk, fruit, etc. Is that a bad idea?

Unless you are diabetic or have some other medical condition, there is absolutely no sound reason to worry about sugar, other than the fact that pure sugar is higher in calories.

^ This.

All cow's milk has approximately 12-13g sugar per serving.

MFP sugar recommendation is very very low.
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Try Flax Milk - it's 25 calories a cup. I use Flax Milk by Good Karma... but I switch between this and unsweetened almond milk.
  • taneikahill
    Options
    Soy Milk is horrible for men because it can lower your sperm count. I like almond milk by silk, 90 calories not a lot of sugar and it tastes great!! I recently bought Blue Diamond Almond breeze but I found it to be TOO sweet.
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both drink 1/2 per cent milk.
  • pbrazina
    Options
    I use the Blue Diamond (Breeze) unsweetened chocolate almond milk, and my wife uses Blue Diamond Breeze sweetened coconut/almond milk.

We switched for a few reasons: Less calories, less carbs, less cholesterol.

While it is true that there is less protein, the almost milk has MUCH more calcium compared to cow's milk. We used to use 1% if that makes a difference and we do use it occasionally.

Cow's milk, despite having calcium and Vitamin A+D, has more benefits for kids rather than adults. This could give reason (but not fact) as to why more adults are lactose intolerant.
  • kddruckenmiller
    kddruckenmiller Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Milk is for baby cows. Not adult humans.

I use unsweetened almond milk. 35 calories per cup and it's delicious!

All of this. I used to drink soy milk but switched because I eat lots of soy already and didn't want to consume too much. So I'm agreeing with everyone who said unsweetened almond milk is the way to go! I don't think it has any sugar whatsoever and maybe a gram of carbs per cup.
  • Pandy1962
    Pandy1962 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    How do the milk almonds? :laugh: :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Milk is for baby cows. Not adult humans.

I use unsweetened almond milk. 35 calories per cup and it's delicious!

Call me a baby cow! Mooooooooooo!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Don't know what you mean by a serving but the sugar content you quote seems excessively high. Whole milk, that is about 4g per 100g fat, has about 4.8g per 100g sugar or more correctly Lactose.
    This makes full fat milk a much healthier option than many many other foods/drinks, it's natural and it's cheap.

I am not diabetic, but it does run in my family. Also, I'm trying to become as lean as possible, and I've read that monitoring your sugar intake is a major key for effective fat burn.

I don't really eat any soy products, so my soy intake is limited to this milk right now. I may switch to almond milk despite the lack of protein, strictly because I can supplement my protein in other ways.

Monitoring your sugar is good for caloric intake, but that's as far as it goes.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I had to quit dairy due to migraines, I tried soy milk and I did manage to drink it okay; but have been drinking unsweetened almond milk (30 calories per 8 oz) for about a year now. I love it, even drinking it straight.
  • SugarNtheRaw
    SugarNtheRaw Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Just make sure whatever milk you're drinking isn't coming from the bull and you'll be okay. But in all seriousness, I love Silk coconut milk as much as squirrels love nuts.
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Whole milk, and almond milk.
  • jesp1216
    jesp1216 Posts: 100
    Options
    I drink skim milk, allergic to almonds so no almond milk for me, last time i tried soy milk my throat closed and i went into anaphylactic (can't spell, sorry) shock lol so none of that either. I don't and haven't found any problems with drinking the skim milk. Not that I even drink much of it.