Crap in Food

Options

Replies

• benbrandwood
    Options
    Just because it's got a long and scary sounding name doesn't mean it's not "natural"

From wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol

"Xylitol is found in the fibers of many fruits and vegetables, and can be extracted from various berries, oats, and mushrooms, as well as fibrous material such as corn husks and sugar cane bagasse, and birch."

OMG! It's a natural product. Sure, because it's a hydrogenated form of carbohydrate it can by synthesised. But one set of Hydrogen, Carbon and Oxygen molecules in the same arrangement is the same no matter the source.

Natural things can be good (Tomato) and bad (Nightshade) - same family, both natural. Whereas there are whole families of "synthetic" molecules which I'd quite happily eat stacks of.
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Don't drink tap water unless you've got a high quality filter. It's full of pesticides other harmful compounds.

That really depends on where you live!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I prefer not to eat foods that have crap in them. I'm not into scatology.

Anything else? Who cares if I can pronounce it or not. I can't pronounce the names of the ingredients of a lot most medicines. Does that mean I shouldn't use them if I get sick?
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    How does popcorn contribute to Alzheimers? It's one of my favourite snacks, so I need some hard evidence before I abandon it!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I competely agree with you... well aside from the eating meat - I'm Vegan :happy:

A lot of producst are labelled 'Natural' ... when clearly they're not.

If it comes from a packet then i will read every ingredient contained in the product.

I'm sticking to as much home made fresh food as possible, so i know what is going into my body.

I recently convinced my husband to stop drinking diet drinks because of the nasty artifical sweeteners used in them.

You are very pretty
  • LittleBallofFurr
    LittleBallofFurr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Don't forget how dangerous Dihydrogen monoxide is also!!!!

LOL I love this
  • gruvkitty
    gruvkitty Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You're going to get all kinds of responses on this, as food choice drives folks nuts.

Eat "real" food- not chemically altered crap. Eat small amounts of it- or the appropriate serving size. "Fat free" garbage and chemical sugar substitutes are disasters for our bodies and our health.

I think this approach annoys a lot of people b/c they don't want to have to think about what they eat, aside from calories and fat. Dr Oz is okay, but there's lots of good info out there about eating real, whole foods.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Just because it's got a long and scary sounding name doesn't mean it's not "natural"

From wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol

"Xylitol is found in the fibers of many fruits and vegetables, and can be extracted from various berries, oats, and mushrooms, as well as fibrous material such as corn husks and sugar cane bagasse, and birch."

OMG! It's a natural product. Sure, because it's a hydrogenated form of carbohydrate it can by synthesised. But one set of Hydrogen, Carbon and Oxygen molecules in the same arrangement is the same no matter the source.

Natural things can be good (Tomato) and bad (Nightshade) - same family, both natural. Whereas there are whole families of "synthetic" molecules which I'd quite happily eat stacks of.

The problem with the "itols" is that it makes alot of people ill with GI problems.That is why we don't eat it. disguising it in other names is misleading that is why we are starting to see it listed as sugar alcohol as a main ingredient.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I stick as close to nature as I can afford, but I refuse to get myself in a knot over this stuff. Nobody lives forever, and I'm not going to lay there wondering why I'm dying of nothing.
  • wanderinggypsy
    Options
    Better ditch the coffee, you're drinking cals. Agree on the box thing though, i drank wine in a box once and felt like death afterwards

Haha! Love this! Well done:)
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    A broken clock is right twice a day.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Don't forget how dangerous Dihydrogen monoxide is also!!!!

I didnt inhale...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    How does popcorn contribute to Alzheimers? It's one of my favourite snacks, so I need some hard evidence before I abandon it!

The evidence as of now seems to be that high concentrations of diacetyl, when breathed in under concentrations present in industrial situations (factory workers who basically breathe it in all day) can increase Beta Amyloid clumping (see links).

This is somewhat of a loose association and it does not make any statement about the effects of low doses of butter flavoring that might be ingested by a normal human:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57489905-10391704/diacetyl-chemical-in-artificial-butter-popcorn-linked-to-alzheimers-plaque-build-up/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22731744

I'm certainly not going to stop eating buttered popcorn because of this. However, I might rethink getting a job on a production line to manufacture fake butter.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I heard somewhere that being alive puts you at 100% risk of death.
  • eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that about the sugar alcohols! I rarely eat them anyway, though, because they tend to give me stomachaches. I usually eat real sugar, but in the morning or afternoon I will limit it because too much sugar drains my energy. Instead I use Stevia extract, which as far as I know is very safe. It's basically just an extract of the natural herb in water. I put it in my smoothies to make them sweeter without overloading myself with sugar first thing in the morning.

Generally I just try to buy stuff with ingredients that I know where they came from. The less packaged food you buy, the better!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I prepare almost all my food from scratch these days. I also do the bulk of my shopping from Trader Joe's, which doesn't use GMO, preservatives, or artificial flavors in their products either. If I do decide to drink a soda, I go for regular to avoid artificial sweeteners, one sweetened with cane sugar if possible. I try to snack on fruits and veggies over chips and candy. If I go eat something prepackage, I check the ingredients and try to opt for something as natural as possible. Granola bars are the one thing I keep in my diet that I would like to ditch (but they're so damn convenient!) but I try to stick with bars that are natural and free of things like HFCS. Clif Bar, Nature's Valley, Luna Bar, and Larabars are all excellent if I need an on the go snack.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly not going to stop eating buttered popcorn because of this. However, I might rethink getting a job on a production line to manufacture fake butter.

That job is mine, dangit.

OP, I'd worry about the corn, too. ...GMO for sure. And the salt. Iodized, I heard. Sugar, it will kill you. Oh, wait. No one gets out alive.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I heard somewhere that being alive puts you at 100% risk of death.

:heart:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I prepare almost all my food from scratch these days. I also do the bulk of my shopping from Trader Joe's, which doesn't use GMO, preservatives, or artificial flavors in their products either. If I do decide to drink a soda, I go for regular to avoid artificial sweeteners, one sweetened with cane sugar if possible. I try to snack on fruits and veggies over chips and candy. If I go eat something prepackage, I check the ingredients and try to opt for something as natural as possible. Granola bars are the one thing I keep in my diet that I would like to ditch (but they're so damn convenient!) but I try to stick with bars that are natural and free of things like HFCS. Clif Bar, Nature's Valley, Luna Bar, and Larabars are all excellent if I need an on the go snack.

Even organic food runs a risk. Have you not heard about the recall on Trader Joe's peanut butter from the recent salmonella outbreak?
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    WORD.....POPCORN HAS IT'S BENEFITS. EVERYTHING IS SUPPOSE TO BE IN MODERATION.

The evidence as of now seems to be that high concentrations of diacetyl, when breathed in under concentrations present in industrial situations (factory workers who basically breathe it in all day) can increase Beta Amyloid clumping (see links).

This is somewhat of a loose association and it does not make any statement about the effects of low doses of butter flavoring that might be ingested by a normal human:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57489905-10391704/diacetyl-chemical-in-artificial-butter-popcorn-linked-to-alzheimers-plaque-build-up/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22731744