New here and just getting started!

Options
Hi my name is Laurie and I am new here. I have been working with a personal trainer 2x a week for the past 3 weeks but I feel like I need something to get me over the hump so to speak to lose those last 10 lbs. Any thoughts/.suggestions?

Laurie

Replies

• JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    Hello, I am a MFP newbie as well. Since I don't know how to start my own thread, I'll see if it's okay to use this one, since it is the same topic. 32 yrs old, drama free guy, looking for some mature friends on here. You don't have to be the most informative health person, but informative ones are welcomed as well. I wouldn't see it being a problem to be supportive of you, since I've already began to comment on "non friends" accomplishments and what not, through there blogs and forum's. All are welcomed, and you won't have to deal with any drama from me, promise!:smile:
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    This site is awesome! Ads are minimal and just necessary. Go to Sparkpeople and just try to get around there. Impossible. This site is cool. No spam, no popups. Threads are really cool. Great layout. oh, and the simple method works!!!!
    Your daily calorie goal is what you can eat to lose the weight. You want to lose a lb a week, it will knock it off by 700 per day. You want to lose 2lb per week, it will knock it off by 1400 per day. The more you work out, the more you need to eat. It is a really simple method, and if you track nutrients carefully, you will succeed. I track Cal, Fat, Protein, Sugar, Sodium, and Potassium, as those are most important to watch for me. But you can watch fiber, vitamin c, and many others if you want to.
    Have fun!
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    Just be honest with yourself. If you are a truck driver, for instance, do not say you are highly active throughout the day. You will not lose any weight. If you eat a McMuffin for breakfast, or a few doughnuts, put that down in the diary.

The only discrepancy may be with the calories lost during workouts. There are many resources out there to measure your calorie output, so just check yourself. My cyclometer is a little bit better at measuring calorie burn than the one on here, so I just go with the meter. Just have to find what works for you.
    good luck!
  • latierney2007
    Options
    Thanks! It is definitely ok to post off of my post! We are all here for the same reason so I feel the more the merrier! I like the fact that you comment on peoples accomplishments.. that is the greatest thing and would be awesome motivation! Good luck on your journey!
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    10 pounds to go? !!! <waugh> my aura is green.

welcome and good luck.
    What does your trainer make you do?
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    here are a few tips that I found to work for me:
    1. Make MFP your home page
    2. Log in EVERYDAY, read the message boards... post.. Keep your mind actively thinking about it.
    3. Don't try to change too much at once, Implement 1 change every week or so. Little tweaks over time seem to work best or at least better than butt load of change all at once
    4. Always be honest. We all fall on our way to the top, be honest, no one is judging you here... we all support each other
    5. Keep trying new things until you find what works for you (It took me a while to find my plan and it works great for me but I wouldn't push it on anyone else)
    6. Its easier to lift weights than the burdens of carrying weight.
    7. take it one day at a time.
    8. Have a cheat day or meal, where you eat what you want
    9. Try to talk to yourself as if you are talking to your child or loved one. Often times the thing we need most is to be a better friend to ourselves.
    10. Smile. :)
    I don't wish people good luck, I never had it and don't need it! Luck doesn't get you through this... hard work does!
  • latierney2007
    Options
    Thanks dillgent! I have tried the food tracking before and I have had success with it. just need to get back into doing it. This site does look pretty cool and much easier to get around than sparkpeople. I am thinking about getting a fitbit but need to do a little bit of research before I spend the money on one..
  • latierney2007
    Options
    Thanks Apazman! Those are really good tips to go by for doing this :)
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    here are a few tips that I found to work for me:
    1. Make MFP your home page
    2. Log in EVERYDAY, read the message boards... post.. Keep your mind actively thinking about it.
    3. Don't try to change too much at once, Implement 1 change every week or so. Little tweaks over time seem to work best or at least better than butt load of change all at once
    4. Always be honest. We all fall on our way to the top, be honest, no one is judging you here... we all support each other
    5. Keep trying new things until you find what works for you (It took me a while to find my plan and it works great for me but I wouldn't push it on anyone else)
    6. Its easier to lift weights than the burdens of carrying weight.
    7. take it one day at a time.
    8. Have a cheat day or meal, where you eat what you want
    9. Try to talk to yourself as if you are talking to your child or loved one. Often times the thing we need most is to be a better friend to ourselves.
    10. Smile. :)
    I don't wish people good luck, I never had it and don't need it! Luck doesn't get you through this... hard work does!
    This is excellent advice! :happy:
  • latierney2007
    Options
    @hughtwalker - yea.. 10lbs! those always seem like the hardes to lose though :(

Basically we work alot on my core.. 300 ab workouts per session and then we either do a leg or arm circuit. I am on my own for the cardio.. which I need to amp up!
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    THREE HUNDRED!!!! - I feel faint

well done. - and I am sorry if I wished you good luck.
    I read about the Fitbit but was a bit put off by the person who said they'd had two (as if this was a good thing) - asked if they were THAT unreliable but don't remember noticing a reply.

It looks as if it is just a pedometer that snitches on you but at the price I'd expect it to make tea and massage my legs too.
  • Derisa
    Derisa Posts: 1
    Options
    ive been on here fora couple of months and only have one friend (my cousin). i would love to get some new friends for encouragement and support and i will return the favor!
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    Derisa: expect to be overrun
  • latierney2007
    Options
    Haha! That's what I thought too when I heard 300! It's not as bad as you would think though.. especially when it gets broken up into different types. I read some good reviews about the fitbit so we'll see! I ordered one today and I'll be sure to let you know how it works!
  • latierney2007
    Options
    @ Desria - How has it been going for you? Any success of the past few months?
  • Hlthy4MeNow
    Hlthy4MeNow Posts: 19 Member
    Options

I love it!
  • majoryee
    majoryee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. Major here. I been here for a little over 3 months. I should say.. this site is amazing. It helps me keep focus and prevents me from eating too much. I am glad I found this site. I also hope to make new friends so that we can help inspire each other to achieve our goals. I'm so tired of being big in the past where nothing in the store would fit you and you feel unhealthy. :) Well good luck everyone