cardio or weight training for maximum weight loss

Options
Which is better for weight loss cardio or weight training? How much and how often should i do it?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    choice C: diet/calorie deficit
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    My favorite exercises are food pushaways and fork putdowns.

Seriously, exercise for fitness and/or to assist with creating a calorie deficit. But 90% of the equation is diet. And the best exercise is the one you'll actually do consistently - so find something you like.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You should do both. One is ok. The other is ok.

cardio + strength training + the right diet = Synergy
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym for over a year, toned up, but did not lose much weight. Now sticking rigidly to MFP and also doing some exercise in the hope that when MFP helps me shed the fat, the toned "goddess" that is underneath the fat will show up.... So far I have lost 11 pounds in about 6 weeks so am pleased with that. I live in hope!!
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

What he said - focus on caloric deficit for weight loss.
  • tracyjoys
    tracyjoys Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Cardio helps burn calories. Weight training builds muscle, which burns fat. Proper nutrition (protein/fat/carbs) with a reasonable calorie deficit will help the scale move.

Remember, though, it's not just about pounds - it's also about inches. If you're interested in the fitness aspect, a pound of fat takes up way more physical volume than a pound of muscle. The scale can be a bit deceptive when you're working a whole diet/fitness routine. Trust the tape measure every 2 weeks over the scale. Just my two cents.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    dont run like a cardiobunny for 1.5 hours in a gym. Do a good 30second sprints as fast as you can. Do couple of them, that will make your body to produce growth hormone, naturally, which is required for muscle.

Do heavy weightlifting , separate lower/upper body days.

Keep your diet high in protein and fats, and have carbohydrates before you hit the gym.

cardiobunnying for 1.5hrs is useless and noone should spend more than 15hours per month doing cardio.
  • DianeKathleen
    DianeKathleen Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    While both cardio and weight training are beneficial for health and great for building muscle and building endurance, they sometimes don't help with the bottom line - unless you also watch what you eat. I workout with weights and I was at a stand-still until I was more careful not to snack after dinner, cut down on alcohol consumption, cut out the oil and be more careful with my diet... There was a great, rather lengthy, but totally interesting article in Time magazine a few years back about this. Here's the link: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1914974,00.html Choose whichever you like best AND watch what you eat... Good luck :)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    eating properly and weight training worked fine for me.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    dont run like a cardiobunny for 1.5 hours in a gym. Do a good 30second sprints as fast as you can. Do couple of them, that will make your body to produce growth hormone, naturally, which is required for muscle.

Do heavy weightlifting , separate lower/upper body days.

Keep your diet high in protein and fats, and have carbohydrates before you hit the gym.

cardiobunnying for 1.5hrs is useless and noone should spend more than 15hours per month doing cardio.

Completely useless broscience advice. The correct answer depends entirely on the OPs goals and should include both cardio and strength.

I can think of quite a few of us on MFP who do well over 15hrs of cardio a month doing things like training for marathons and triathlons so your assertion that "no one" should do that much is incorrect.

To the OP, weight loss is 80% diet, in fact many people lose weight without exercising at all. Exercise will contribute to your fitness and may help with your caloric deficit but the reality is that exercise alone does not promote fat loss.
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

Completely useless broscience advice. The correct answer depends entirely on the OPs goals and should include both cardio and strength.

I was thinking the same thing - I suggest that if you want to run a marathon training for 1.5 hours is necessary, and likely not sufficient. It depends on the goals. And, for sure, you can gain weight when you are marathon training or loose it - it depends on whether you are in caloric deficit, surplus or maintenance...
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    to lose weight? = cardio
    to tone up? = strenght training
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Weight loss or fat loss?

Strength training will help ensure that a large % of your loss comes from fat, vs. lean muscle. Cardio doesn't burn any fat on its own. It allows you to eat more while having a deficit you could achieve from diet alone
  • laurazwick
    Options
    I carry weights while I walk. Do both
  • TrinaJ11
    TrinaJ11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

This.

But I do both strength training and cardio 6 days a week. Each one every other day. But also keep in mind Weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    to lose weight? = cardio (Not ture, if you out eat your burn you will actually gain no matter how much cardio you do)
    to tone up? = strenght training (toning is fat loss to make the muscles visable, which is not what strenght training does, unless you are also in a caloric deficit
  • momoftwo75
    momoftwo75 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Both, plus a healthy low-carb diet. I do cardio 5x/wk and resistance training 4x/wk.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options

Yeah, cardio and strength training are both really important, and caloric intake seems to be the main thing.

I spent 30 hours running last month to prepare for a marathon. If you want to be an endurance athlete, more than that might even be needed. If you want to look like Arnie, you should be spending that time in the gym.

Edit: Unless you've already been running for a little while, please ignore all the advice you see on here about HIIT and sprinting. They are both very useful training strategies, but if you haven't spent some time running already, you could seriously hurt yourself.
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Both + proper nutrition = Success

It also really depends on your preference and does your body respond more to cardio or weight lifting/resistance training. If your body responds to both well, then you've got your answer above of "do both" and combine it with proper nutrition.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    to lose weight? = cardio (Not ture, if you out eat your burn you will actually gain no matter how much cardio you do)
    to tone up? = strenght training (toning is fat loss to make the muscles visable, which is not what strenght training does, unless you are also in a caloric deficit

ah damn it.............. so are u telling me ill gain back the 63 lbs ive lost ?? .......Im not on a diet, i learned how to eat, doing just cardio, and 10 months later here i am. And if by ´if you out eat your burn you will actually gain no matter how much cardio you do´ you meant eating back exercise calories--- dont worry, I dont.
    Im tired of threads like this where ppl into strenght training try to convince us to start with it. Im doing fine, believe me, I DO NOT need weights to reach my goal, yes i might not have a six pack at the end, i might not be able to see my toned muscles... seriously?, I dont care. Some of you like it, some of us dont. To each their own. Respect please.