DON'T OVER-DO THE WATER--HERE'S WHY

Options

Replies

• AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDND Hold your wee for a wii

The contestant lacked common sense, unfortunately. When something hurts, you stop doing it.

Exactly. I don't even think this was fully about how much water she did drink. It was about not going to the bathroom, wasn't it?
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    While I agree, it's not necessary to over-do the water, like so many members of MFP like to do, I think it would be very hard to drink enough water to cause hyponatremia.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Damnit! I already can't drink copious amounts of alcohol or eat tons of shrooms to get the desired effects (sypmtoms) such as abnormal mental status. Now you've gone and taken away my water buzz too???

*sigh* back to heroin i guess, anyone got a belt?

Edited for spelling

You're lucky I creep you or that could have gone unnoticed!
  • BehindtheScenes
    BehindtheScenes Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Must be the reason I'm snorting water out my nose right now :noway:
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    The condition is real enough, and is actually pretty common, albeit in mild states. The acute form is not so common but can indeed be fatal. There was the case where a woman died after consuming massive amounts of water in a radio station water drinking contest, but she drank far more water in a short period of time (several gallons) than just about anyone would drink in a day.

The amount of sodium in the average diet pretty much precludes the condition except in cases where a LOT of sweating occurs without properly replacing electrolytes. In the past most gyms had salt tablets readily available but these days sports drinks take their place and are a good idea when participating in sports that cause profuse sweating.

Seriously, I doubt that anyone here is likely to drink enough water, and consume a small enough amount of sodium, to be concerned about this condition.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    On days i consume stuff with way much sodium, I try and drink more..regular, clean days..I'd say just 8-10 cups is enough. In the summer when its super Hot, I drink up to a gallon a day. That is just my pref and my experience. I like water all around, and its sure as hell a lot better for you then caffeinated drinks and soda/pop all the time and other sugary beverages.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    So, I know people aren't going to take me seriously, due to how they responded to this post, but...

Hyponatremia is an actual risk. There have been a bunch of studies done on it, and over-hydration can actually be more deadly than dehydration. It really only presents itself in long-distance runners, so it's pretty rare, but it is an actual thing that you should be concerned about if you drink a lot of water when running marathons.

Educate yourself, people! OP was just trying to raise awareness.

Good point. People do need to take it seriously... without being overly fearful or, on the other hand, totally unconcerned.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Damnit! I already can't drink copious amounts of alcohol or eat tons of shrooms to get the desired effects (sypmtoms) such as abnormal mental status. Now you've gone and taken away my water buzz too???

*sigh* back to heroin i guess, anyone got a belt?

Edited for spelling

You're lucky I creep you or that could have gone unnoticed!

Aw thanks honey :heart:
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    File this in the "quite rare" folder.
  • miss_missa07
    Options
    The condition is real enough, and is actually pretty common, albeit in mild states. The acute form is not so common but can indeed be fatal. There was the case where a woman died after consuming massive amounts of water in a radio station water drinking contest, but she drank far more water in a short period of time (several gallons) than just about anyone would drink in a day.

The amount of sodium in the average diet pretty much precludes the condition except in cases where a LOT of sweating occurs without properly replacing electrolytes. In the past most gyms had salt tablets readily available but these days sports drinks take their place and are a good idea when participating in sports that cause profuse sweating.

Seriously, I doubt that anyone here is likely to drink enough water, and consume a small enough amount of sodium, to be concerned about this condition.

Exactly! People are acting like hyponatremia is not a real thing, but it is! It's a super rare risk, yes, but it exists and people have died from it before.

If any of you are interested in reading more about the condition, a new book was released in May that talks specifically about it. It's called "Waterlogged: The Serious Problem of Overhydration In Endurance Sports". If you're a marathon runner, I suggest you check it out. http://www.amazon.com/Waterlogged-Serious-Problem-Overhydration-Endurance/dp/145042497X
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    WTF?

That pretty much had nothing to do with drinking too much water. The article is about not having enough salt intake. And with the way foods are now (overly salted), there is no problem with lack of salt.

Not everyone eats enough salt. I am one of those people. I use sea salt and my sodium levels are low and I drink nothing but 2 cups of coffee in the morning, 2 cups of hot tea before bed and water the remainder of the day.

My Dr never told me to stop drinking so much water or cut down on any of the other beverages I drink either. He merely said I needed to increase the amount of salt I eat on my foods because we don't eat any processed foods any longer.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Must be what happened to my ostriches. When I raised ostrich, the babies would sometimes drink a LOT of water then they would stagger around and fall over like they were drunk. It usually passed in a half hour or so. Ever seen a drunken ostrich? Its a hoot!
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    What is the point of this post? It's not a study, just an excerpt from a medical encyclopedia.

I may as well post the entry for 'oxidative stress' followed by 'OMG u guyss! Stop breathing!! Seriously!!!!'!!!!!". And then we could all argue about which governmental batch of evil legislators recommended breathing at least five times per minute, then argue over whether it's a conspiracy, then someone can mention religion and then the thread can get locked.

Hyponatremia is a real thing - certain drugs exacerbate it, extreme exertion without corrective electrolyte intake can cause it, but just chugging water is unlikely to do you serious harm. But that's not histrionic enough, I guess, so never mind.

:noway:
  • zakadoodle
    Options
    This is mostly for athletes who have depleted their bodies of sodium and electrolytes and it IS a problem. There's no need for people to be rude about this.
  • JordanSky26
    JordanSky26 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be rude or seem like an *kitten* but this post caught me off guard I've never heard of such a thing as over doing water. Water? There is something I never thought I'd see. It most be true......At nearly 30 I'm getting up there. I doubt this is a real issue. I guarantee that most of the population is hardly drinking the recommended 8 glasses of water. Interesting topic though it certainly raised my eyebrows
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I'm off to pound some pretzels, bacon, processed meats and cheese just in case.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    seriously...I am hoping you are the best disguised troll ever.

But in case you are serious....do you realize HOW MUCH water you would have to drink for this to happen? So much that you would probably vomit before it would effect you.

Saw this in Runner's World a few years back. It would take quite a lot of water over a short time, yes. But there are runners who have died from over-drinking. Generally females, walk/jogging their first marathon, who have seen the exhortations on diet blogs and runners' websites to drink, drink, and drink some more, even though they aren't thirsty, lest they become the slightest bit dehydrated; and skipping sports drinks to save calories or because they've been told sports drinks are unnecessary.

There is also a mental disorder called water intoxication (polydipsia), in which people will deliberately drink excessive water because the dilution of electrolytes makes them feel drunk. My husband used to work in a mental hospital, and saw several people who did this. The staff had to carefully monitor these patients' weight and the amount they were allowed to drink.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Exactly! People are acting like hyponatremia is not a real thing, but it is! It's a super rare risk, yes, but it exists and people have died from it before.

If any of you are interested in reading more about the condition, a new book was released in May that talks specifically about it. It's called "Waterlogged: The Serious Problem of Overhydration In Endurance Sports". If you're a marathon runner, I suggest you check it out. http://www.amazon.com/Waterlogged-Serious-Problem-Overhydration-Endurance/dp/145042497X

No reason to be worried about hyponatremia. For the average person, they will never reach it.

More emphasis needs to be placed on drinking MORE water, not less.

Geeeez. And I have low sodium levels after a full electrolyte panel was done on me because of cramps I was getting. My Dr merely told me to increase my salt intake a little and all would be well and not to lower the amount of water I was drinking because other blood markers were great, except for that one.

I was told to keep doing exactly what I have been doing.
  • JBWILLOW
    JBWILLOW Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    wow, this is so important and so scary the best you can muster is to put a link with no overview, s'cuse me while I go finish off my gallon of water while I ponder the sheer silliness of this thread

HAHA!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    So, I know people aren't going to take me seriously, due to how they responded to this post, but...

Hyponatremia is an actual risk. There have been a bunch of studies done on it, and over-hydration can actually be more deadly than dehydration. It really only presents itself in long-distance runners, so it's pretty rare, but it is an actual thing that you should be concerned about if you drink a lot of water when running marathons.

Educate yourself, people! OP was just trying to raise awareness.

No one said it was not real. What we said was that it is not the risk the OP makes it out to be for the vast majority of humanity.