Replies

• WendyFitMomCHANGED
    WendyFitMomCHANGED Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    35ezfj.jpg
  • bigblu89
    bigblu89 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the 3 liters of water I drink each day isn't going to kill me.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    WTF?

That pretty much had nothing to do with drinking too much water. The article is about not having enough salt intake. And with the way foods are now (overly salted), there is no problem with lack of salt.

Not everyone eats enough salt. I am one of those people. I use sea salt and my sodium levels are low and I drink nothing but 2 cups of coffee in the morning, 2 cups of hot tea before bed and water the remainder of the day.

My Dr never told me to stop drinking so much water or cut down on any of the other beverages I drink either. He merely said I needed to increase the amount of salt I eat on my foods because we don't eat any processed foods any longer.
    You only need 500 mg of salt daily. If you aren't getting that, you aren't eating.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    This is rediculou…. OH!! MY!! MY BRAINNN>>>SWELLLLING AAARRRGGGHHH *Died from water*
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/medical/do-the-salt

Not that rare, particularly in marathon/tri athletes - and more particularly among runners who are heeding (overheeding?) the advice to drink plenty for hydration. Many major marathons now have pages educating participants on the issue. I linked one above. More people are treated at races for hyponatremia than dehydration. But just like dehydration, being aware and fueling properly eliminates the risk.

Quoting from article
    "Who gets it most commonly?

First time marathoners and charity participants (who are usually first-timers) tend to be at risk. They fear they will become dehydrated in heat and wrongly drink too much not understanding the danger. Women are at much greater risk than men for reasons that we don’t yet understand. It is clear that a big part of the problem is the inability of the athlete to excrete the excess fluid because of high levels of fluid-retaining hormones ADH and AVF.

Those taking NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory meds like Advil, Aleve, Motrin, Naproxen, Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Celebrex, Vioxx, etc) are also at increased risk. These drugs work by blocking prostaglandins in the body. By blocking prostaglandins, blood flow is decreased to the kidney thereby setting up the cascade that increases ADH and AVF.

How can marathoners make sure they are getting enough fluids but not so much as to be at risk for hyponatremia?

Recent scientific research has shown that drinking only when you are thirsty is the best prevention. If participants are drinking no more that 1 cup (8oz) every 20 minutes while on the course they will have enough fluids. The risk of dehydration, even in the heat, is far less than developing hyponatremia. Not drinking at every water station will prevent hyponatremia.
    "
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    wow, this is so important and so scary the best you can muster is to put a link with no overview, s'cuse me while I go finish off my gallon of water while I ponder the sheer silliness of this thread
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    haha
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    YOu do realize you have to drink A LOT of water for this to happen... A LOT! And if you are drinking other stuff and EATING (and I know you are); you are getting enough electrolytes not to have this issue. The other thing you can do if you really are concerned is add a squeeze of fresh lemon to your water, it adds enough electrolytes to prevent.

DO NOT STOP DRINKING WATER because you read this post.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    28072184.jpg
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Seems legit...will not drink water for the rest of today! Thank you for putting fear of water on my list...

Nonsense, just eat a teaspoon of salt for every cup of water and you should be fine.
  • MamaKay3
    MamaKay3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Actually, this is true. There was a study that was just released maybe a month ago that proved too much water wasn't good for the body. Of course, the amount of water everyone "needs" is different and you really have to drink over your "need" regularly for this to happen.
  • miss_missa07
    Options
    So, I know people aren't going to take me seriously, due to how they responded to this post, but...

Hyponatremia is an actual risk. There have been a bunch of studies done on it, and over-hydration can actually be more deadly than dehydration. It really only presents itself in long-distance runners, so it's pretty rare, but it is an actual thing that you should be concerned about if you drink a lot of water when running marathons.

Educate yourself, people! OP was just trying to raise awareness.

No one said it was not real. What we said was that it is not the risk the OP makes it out to be for the vast majority of humanity.

There were quite a few people in this thread implying that they believed it was not real or not any sort of threat.

I agree that it isn't worth the risk that OP makes it out to be for most of humanity. Like I pointed out, it's really only a risk for long-distance runners, and the majority of people here on MFP are not even going to come close to suffering from hyponatremia. But I see no reason for any of the posters here to belittle OP for trying to raise awareness something that not only exists but has 1600 documented cases since 1981.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    So, I know people aren't going to take me seriously, due to how they responded to this post, but...

Hyponatremia is an actual risk. There have been a bunch of studies done on it, and over-hydration can actually be more deadly than dehydration. It really only presents itself in long-distance runners, so it's pretty rare, but it is an actual thing that you should be concerned about if you drink a lot of water when running marathons.

Educate yourself, people! OP was just trying to raise awareness.

No one said it was not real. What we said was that it is not the risk the OP makes it out to be for the vast majority of humanity.

There were quite a few people in this thread implying that they believed it was not real or not any sort of threat.

I agree that it isn't worth the risk that OP makes it out to be for most of humanity. Like I pointed out, it's really only a risk for long-distance runners, and the majority of people here on MFP are not even going to come close to suffering from hyponatremia. But I see no reason for any of the posters here to belittle OP for trying to raise awareness something that not only exists but has 1600 documented cases since 1981.

I didn't see anyone say it wasn't real.
  • moniraq
    moniraq Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    joaquin-scared-of-aliens-o.gif

:laugh:
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    I get a headache when I drink 3 litres of water but I work in a kitchen so I need it when its hot ! your body needs 2 litres of water a day, i get headaches when I don't drink enough!
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I think we've all been bazinga'd
  • ilanawithani
    Options
    Drink your water. When in doubt, drink your water. When you're hungry, drink your water. Always, always, always drink your water.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDND Hold your wee for a wii

The contestant lacked common sense, unfortunately. When something hurts, you stop doing it.

I was reading about it. The court put all the blame on the radio station and the family got millions
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    If we are not exerting ourselves, it is not hot out and the humidity is low, we need to drink 8 cups = 4 pints = 2 quarts = 2 litres. If it is hot, the humidity is high and/or you are exerting yourself, you need a lot more than that. As a healthy measure. Most people do not drink 8 cups of water a day. You do not have to worry about losing too much salt unless you are not eating, or are not drinking things other than water. Sodium is in damn near everything. So, yeah, if you are starving yourself, running a marathon and drinking 2 gallons of water, you're screwed. But, if you are doing that you are screwy, and I don't care if you are screwed.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    ah crap, I just remembered my bloodwork showed that I had low sodium levels a few weeks ago...I must be dying.