Anyone want to go low carb for a month?

Options
2»

Replies

• cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Does MFP "carbs" include or exclude fiber? So net carbs should be carbs-fiber or take the carbs number
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Does MFP "carbs" include or exclude fiber? So net carbs should be carbs-fiber or take the carbs number

You need to subtract your fiber. If you go under food/settings, you can add fiber to your daily report which makes it easier.
  • rachelfaith92
    rachelfaith92 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have done the southbeach diet before and lost 25 pounds just doing low carb. Eventually I will add in carbs slowly, but generally after eating anything carby I feel bloated, nauseous, and just not great. I made a chili with fresh peppers, onions, beans, tomatoes, and lean ground beef for lunch. My goal is to stay under 40 carbs a day, preferably around 30, but we will see what happens. Otherwise making home made chicken soup (minus egg noodles) with lots and lots of chicken, celery, spinach, a few carrots, and whatever other veggie you like that's seemingly low carb is good.

Tuna and low fat hellman's mayo, muscle milk drinks, steaks, lobster (without butter :( ), turkey, small amounts of dairy yogurts and cheeses.. I believe I can do this, obviously I won't live like this every single day for the rest of my life, but I would like to eat a high protein diet for the rest of my life. I absolutely love fruit, and want to be excited to have a nice fruit salad instead of binging on half a pack of m&m cookies and feeling like crap afterwards.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'm doing moderate carb. I don't limit fruits and veggies, but breads/pastas/etc.

So I'm down for more of a challenge!
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Your body needs carbs for energy!

Right, that must be why I've been comatose for the last 6 months.

Question: If Carbs are for energy what is Fat for ?
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've been doing strict keto (65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs) since March with very few "cheats" or side tracking. It's been pretty incredible. I've dropped from 340+ to 253. The rest of my weight was generally low carb aside from the first 50 lbs which was awful, full of hunger and miss-steps the whole way. (Can anyone say, LOW FAT, HIGH SUGAR?) As for the "energy", I think LCNY covered that. Neither of us is dead, and personally I just got my full blood workup. I used to weigh 469 lbs, the blood results that came back were for a 27 year old athlete, not a 27 year old 253 pound nerd. Perfect cholesterol, perfect serum levels, perfect BP, everything perfect. I feel great. :)
  • ggThomas1
    ggThomas1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When you say that you stick to 30 gms of carb per day - does that mean you don't eat any fruit or veg : there's almost 30 grms of carb in one apple. Am confused. Please explain. Thanks
  • Jay_Jay_
    Options
    When you say that you stick to 30 gms of carb per day - does that mean you don't eat any fruit or veg : there's almost 30 grms of carb in one apple. Am confused. Please explain. Thanks

There is nothing in fruit that you can not get from other sources, it may be natural sugars, but it is still a sugar in the end. I very sparingly eat dew, cantalope, apple, etc. It's a "treat" to me.

On the other hand, a FROZEN bag of steamed broccoli and cheese contains 22 grams of carbs, 16 net. That's with the added carbs from eating pre-packaged. Now... I for one can not eat an entire bag of broccoli myself, but I could on this lifestyle. So to answer, green veggies is where its at. Low in carbs, high in fiber and nutrition and you can eat a ton of it. :)
  • AUPerry
    AUPerry Posts: 166
    Options
    I personally love low carb diets. It makes my belly super flat. I typically do 40/40/20 (40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat)
  • thr33martins
    Options
    I've been doing strict keto (65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs) since March with very few "cheats" or side tracking. It's been pretty incredible. I've dropped from 340+ to 253. The rest of my weight was generally low carb aside from the first 50 lbs which was awful, full of hunger and miss-steps the whole way. (Can anyone say, LOW FAT, HIGH SUGAR?) As for the "energy", I think LCNY covered that. Neither of us is dead, and personally I just got my full blood workup. I used to weigh 469 lbs, the blood results that came back were for a 27 year old athlete, not a 27 year old 253 pound nerd. Perfect cholesterol, perfect serum levels, perfect BP, everything perfect. I feel great. :)

Is your 5% carbs "net?" How many grams does that come out to per day for you? thanks!!
  • thr33martins
    Options
    I personally love low carb diets. It makes my belly super flat. I typically do 40/40/20 (40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat)

Your belly IS super flat - I'm totally jealous. I bet you don't have kids... :happy:
  • Jay_Jay_
    Options

Is your 5% carbs "net?" How many grams does that come out to per day for you? thanks!!

That is net carbs, yes. I subtract my fiber from the total carbs each day. I typically eat between 20-30g of carbs, and then most days that will be 10-20g of fiber depending on what I eat. My net carbs are almost -always- under 20g per day, and more likely under 15g. I eat between 1200 calories and 1500 calories typically, based on how I feel.
  • cthon98
    cthon98 Posts: 19
    Options
    I, like others who have chimed in here, have been doing keto. I've stuck pretty strictly to the rules, <20g of net carbs per day. I've lost over 30 pounds in under 4 months, and feel better than ever.
  • cthon98
    cthon98 Posts: 19
    Options
    Whoops, didn't know that. Guess that's why I died doing 4 months of keto, and am now a ghost posting on the internet.
  • danni_l
    danni_l Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Ive been lowing carb for a couple of months, started due to wheat intolerance, but have now cut out potatoes, pasta etc.
    The weight has fallen off and I feel great.
    That said I know if I went back to my old style of eating - chips for lunch, sub sandwiches etc then I would be back to square one.
    Eating healthily is a lifestyle change. You obviously need to stop eating the "sweet treats" in the evening, maybe you could try cutting down your carbs slowly rather than just going all out for a month - that kind of extreme / fad dieting usually leads to failure and increased weight gain at the end!
  • danni_l
    danni_l Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Whoops, didn't know that. Guess that's why I died doing 4 months of keto, and am now a ghost posting on the internet.

Hhahahaha THIS :)