Quinoa?

Options
jennifer_417
jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
Ok, so I just bought a bag of this stuff because it's supposed to be SO. HEALTHY. or whatever. So, what do YOU do with it?

Replies

• girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Boil it. Eat it. Mix veggies with it. Put it into soup... Use it as you would rice. I noticed a recipe for quinoa mac and cheese the other day, but have not tried it.
  • lolalena
    lolalena Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I thought it was weird at first but once i got creative with it i really enjoyed it. I have made Chili with it, veggie burgers, i have substituted it in replace of rice and pasta. My favorite are veggie tacos- just mix quinoa with a pack of taco seasoning. Yum
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Excellent stuffer for stuffed peppers. You cook up your veggies and cook the quinoa separately and toss it all together in the end. Quinoa has a slightly nutty taste and I love it personally. I also like how little time it takes to cook it and it's pretty full proof. ( I would ruin every pot of rice I cooked if it weren't for my rice cooker. LOL)
  • vanillarama
    vanillarama Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    We had it tonight with roasted butternut squash and fennel. It was fantastic! We just added some cumin and chili powder.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I just bought a bag of this stuff because it's supposed to be SO. HEALTHY. or whatever. So, what do YOU do with it?

Google "Quinoa Recipes". The possibilities are endless...Just like rice and pasta.
  • Gremlinz
    Gremlinz Posts: 3,259 Member
    Options
    You can also powder it in a food processor and use it as a flour substitute if you want to bread something....
  • missmmaynes
    missmmaynes Posts: 79 Member
    Options

Use it to replace rice in pretty much any recipe. My daughter likes to eat it for breakfast , warmed up with milk, brown sugar and cinnamon. It's delicious!
  • ss11mg
    ss11mg Posts: 1
    Options
    there's lots of recipes out there. its a good way to replace rice and pasta, really easy to make and fills you up. check "quinoa" on pinterest, i've tried a LOT of successful recipes through there
  • HealthyShazza
    Options
    Check out my MFP blog....have a couple of recipes on there. Quinoa is fantastic!!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/HealthyShazza
  • cookn_mama
    cookn_mama Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Betty crocker or allreceipes.com Quinoa fruit salad is good.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I did it just basic tonight with chicken broth since dinner was so flavourful and it was the perfect side. I like it because it's great reheated as well as fresh cooked - so it's perfect for lunches. I have a friend that cooks it daily in the office using the microwave - no more excuses for pizza because I didn't have any leftovers for me!
  • _danjo_
    _danjo_ Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You can also powder it in a food processor and use it as a flour substitute if you want to bread something....

ooh, never thought of this! must try!!
  • Crysti
    Crysti Posts: 17
    Options
    AllRecipes.com is really great. You can search by desired ingredients and even list undesired ingredients (say, for instance you don't like onions or are allergic to something) and it searches for you. I got a tasty black bean and quinoa recipe there. :)
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I've been meaning to for ages so you've all convinced me to go out and buy some of this tonight :smile:
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    In college, I used to use coconut milk in place of water to cook the quinoa. Add in pineapple chunks, sauteed carrots, bell peppers, green onions & cooked chicken for a thai kind of flavor and it's pretty good. :)
  • continentaldivide
    continentaldivide Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions here. Just be sure to rinse it before you cook it. Otherwise, it will be bitter. I learned the hard way.
  • DMarieMC
    Options
    I just made an absolutely delicious spicy quinoa and sweet potato chili - you should definitely try it! Super healthy and lowfat - and very filling. Here is the recipe: http://www.milkfreemom.com/vegan-quinoa-sweet-potato-chili/
  • pineappleroo
    pineappleroo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    boil it in chicken broth instead of water.... YUM!!! then serve in place of rice
  • Sweetpea472
    Sweetpea472 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    So far, I've only used it as a rice/pasta sub, and I really like it. Next, I'm going to try it as an oatmeal replacement with blueberries and a dash of cinnamon!

(I like the flavor of oatmeal but CANNOT handle the texture.)