Anyone using Alli?

Options
I was wondering if any of you have used or are using Alli? My doctor recomended it but I don't know if it is worth the money it seems pretty expensive. If anyone has any information or advice on it I would appreciate it.
Thanks and have a great day.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• supercool111
    Options
    I haven't tried it myself but from what I heard I wouldn't recommend it. It causes anal leakage if you eat fat and so really all it does is punish you for eating fats... It would be easier and cheaper just to use a little will power...
  • 25anniversary2011
    25anniversary2011 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The leakage only happens if you go over with your fat intake. This happens because you are eating too much fat. If you stick with your meal plan, there should be no problems with your "intestines" at all. If you eat no fat, don't take it with that meal, if you eat too much fat, don't take it with that meal. It does not interfere with any other medications as it does not travel through your blood stream. I am about to start taking it on Monday. I bought a 30 day supply kit and will let you know how it works on me. Everybody's body is different so let's hope that all the research I've done on it is correct for me. :ohwell:
  • zildgian
    zildgian Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am not welling to take the chance of anal leakage during my yoga class. That is something I could never live down. I'll keep using this site and you guys for my support:)
  • eliz405
    Options
    I have been using alli for about 3 weeks now. I have not had any leakage, I sometimes will have a bowel movement 3-4 times a day. That's fine with me as I am chronically constipated. It has really helped me stay focused on eating right. I have found that there are plenty of things to eat that are good and low in fat. My suggestion is to read all the literature that comes in the starter pack and read all your labels.

I hope this helps, I am very motivated and encouraged since I have lost a few pounds.
    557430.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jenners22
    Options
    I did a huge report on Alli last semester for school and it's parent drug (ORLISTAT) is known to cause pre-cancerous changes in your intestines. Alli is simply ORLISTAT at a lower dosage. I wouldn't chance it, but then again I had an aunt who died from using Phen-Fen and my mother died from cancer...so both things kind of make me extra cautious.
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    I think it's OK as long as you realize you are motivated out of fear! Everyone I know that has been on it has had at least one "accident". The good things about it are that you eat VERY consciously :laugh: and it has little to know side effects, especially when compared to other diet pills.
    Bottom line...only one way to find out!
  • urso99
    urso99 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If your dr suggested it, I say set up a plan with your dr, and go in for monthly checkups!!!

I used it last year for 3 mo and lost 25 lbs.

It worked REALLY well for me. And let me clarify, you only will get leakage/oily stools IF you eat TO much fat!!

You are on 1 of 3 calorie plans based on your current weight.

1400 cals/ 40 gr fat per day
    1600 cals/50 gr fat
    1800 cals/60 gr fat

If you've been logging on here, you already see your fat intake is almost the same allowances! Its just that the Alli pill absorbs some of the fat.

It is best for a person that cooks most of their own food, you can never know with take out/restaurants the exact amount of fat per food item! Better not to take any chances!!

I also want to add, it worked 1 time for me!! I've tried many times since then to no avail. Also, once you hit your goal weight, you do not take them anymore and are on maintaince. I personally would not take them long term. ( 6mo+++)

Cost wise, Walgreens has it onsale many times, and the Alli website used to have a $10 off printable coupon for non-users! Go to the website and look towards the bottom, should say "try Alli".

Good luck!!!!!!
  • bmclellan
    Options
    I have used alli in the recent past. The spotting and leakage are indeed true and very real events that occur IF you go over your recommended fat budget per meal...if I remember, it was about 15g. After researching Alli, I found that results varied per person, but only around 3 or 4 pounds vs. dieting and exercise alone. Alli provides very real consequences if you consume "too much" fat and continue to take the pill. I quit taking Alli because diet and exercise have become a way of life, not just an event.
  • Prissymissy1984
    Options
    i have been using alli for 3 weeks now, i have lost a total of 18 pounds in this time period, just as long as your serious about not going over your fat grams per meal it works,, i dont really get much exercise and i have lost this much thus far.its really cheap on walmart website 25.00 for the starter kit which has 60 pills in it.i say go for it.Good luck to you!!