anyone else just trying to lose the flab?

Options
i am already done with losing weight and my next phase is doing some light weights and losing this stomach. i am 5'2 weigh 117 lbs and just have this flab to lose!!

hopefully someone else is in the same boat and wants to become my friend! i will be a big supporter of course! :)

Replies

• Starbuck2020
    Starbuck2020 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Nope I have a lot of weight to lose, but.......

I use to weigh a lot less and never ever worked out. I was light, but didn't know what "firm" felt like. I workout a lot now and even though I have plenty of pounds to lose I am noticing HUGE changes in my muscles. I feel almost as small now at 159 lbs as I did in the past at 145. I can only guess what I will be like when I get back to my old 110 ish pounds.

I have a personal trainer. She has done wonders for my core. Lots of planks for starters. Not just holding them, but a wide variety of plank exercises. Look some up and try them all. Then try them every day all the time. Also work your back, it is just as important for your core as your abs.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Use heavy weights.
  • dorairwin
    dorairwin Posts: 210
    Options
    Yes flab on my tummy :cry:
  • hem8787
    hem8787 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I am technically at a very healthy weight for my height but I have a lot of extra flab! I really need to focus on toning up. I have started focusing less on cardio and more on lifting heavy weights. It seems to be helping, but very slowly. I have lost a lot of flab off of my back but of course none of the flab has come off of my stomach or arms yet!
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    Use heavy weights.

^^^This. Light weights will do NOTHING for you. Light weights and high reps is essentially cardio to your body. Don't waste your time. Eat at your TDEE to maintain your weight and lift HEAVY at least 3 times a week and decrease your cardio.

I HATE TUMMY FLAB! Grrrr. LOL. But really, follow said above device and you will see results fast. Your body type kinda looks like mine. I'll be there soon. I'm almost there.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance to firm up what's left as well. Feel free to send a friend request.
  • OTchic
    OTchic Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have to work out at home. So those people who suggest I lift heavy what is heavy? And what could I buy so I do it at home?

I have carpal tunnel in both hands so let's see if i can even do that.

I do back workouts too because in jillian michaels dvds she stresses to do them too. I also do planks but limited to them again because of my carpal tunnel putting all my weight there hurts my hands and wrists. Uggh I feel like this keeps me away from my goal!!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Very same boat. I've lost 80lbs and am almost too light for my height, but I have quite a bit of flab/skin etc that I am really hoping to get rid of... It's incredibly discouraging. If you need some support let me know :ohwell:
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    I have to work out at home. So those people who suggest I lift heavy what is heavy? And what could I buy so I do it at home?

I do back workouts too because in jillian michaels dvds she stresses to do them too. I also do planks but limited to them again because of my carpal tunnel putting all my weight there hurts my hands and wrists. Uggh I feel like this keeps me away from my goal!!

Lifting heavy means that you achieve failure (inability to complete the lift without losing form) at the end of a low set of reps. (8 to 10ish). So that weight can be different for each person. If you are new to lifting, the weight can be lower and you can work your way up. It will NOT make you bulk up. You'd have to take steroids for that :tongue:

Try reading New Rules of Lifting for Women. I am doing P90X so I'm doing some weight stuff. I am going to have to increase my weight soon though. Dumbells work, resistance bands work (find a good set), all of this stuff I do at home. But that is a good place to start.

Good luck! and stay with it. DO NOT QUIT.
    :drinker:
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Similar boat - I am getting close or maybe even at the weight but trying to firm up the tummy, and love handle behind the hip bone area... I think it just takes time and consistency/persistence...
    Good luck! Will send you an add - no pressure - just on the support tip.
  • Starbuck2020
    Options

Are you doing the planks where you put your forearms on the ground? They will not put pressure on your wrists or hands. Hold a forearm plank and reach out with your right arm. Set it down. Reach out with your left arm and put it down. Slow, controlled. If it isn't slow and controlled you will get there. Then. ... bring your right knee to your chest, then your left. Slow and controlled. Repeat. Also look up reverse sit ups. At home you could posistion yourself on the arm of a couch (hips resting on arm, body on couch) then lower your upper half down towards the ground and lift back up. This will work your lower back.
  • Alice_H
    Alice_H Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Downward dog (yoga position) will help with the carpal tunnel. It hurts like the ****ens at first, but it gets better.
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    i am already done with losing weight and my next phase is doing some light weights and losing this stomach. i am 5'2 weigh 117 lbs and just have this flab to lose!!

hopefully someone else is in the same boat and wants to become my friend! i will be a big supporter of course! :)

Mmm, if you need to lose the "stomach" then you're not done with losing weight. You can stay at maintenance if you're within 2% of your ideal body fat percentage. If not, it will take a long time. IMO, you're better off cutting back to lose the fat.
  • SweetiePieHolly
    Options
    Friends request sent girly..

I'm 5'2 and 118 pounds..
    I have got to get my tummy back right!!!!!!
  • Starbuck2020
    Options

Mmm, if you need to lose the "stomach" then you're not done with losing weight.

That isn't true. I use to weigh 95lbs and I had a very undefined core. I thought I was fat with that pinch of fat I could get. Oh stupid me. Now am actually fat. Anyway. Losing the fat is awesome, but it doesn't reveal that awesome muscle layer if the muscle isn't ready to be revealed. If she works on muscle now, that bit of "flab" will go away. It is no longer about the weight or the scale. The new battle is the fat % and the tape measure.
  • OTchic
    Options
    thank you MTGgirl I already think I am pretty small I am wearing size 5 jeans and my legs are looking too small for them. i attached a photo you all can see my arms are small so i definately dont think i need to lose weight. you can totally see my belly in this pic too

i will do planks on my forearms omg that is going to be a life saver thank you!!!

okay so lifting heavy is lifting til i can't keep my form got it!! so would lying on the floor and lifting a barbell be enough along with doing some squats with them.

photo11cb.jpg
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options

That isn't true. I use to weigh 95lbs and I had a very undefined core. I thought I was fat with that pinch of fat I could get. Oh stupid me. Now am actually fat. Anyway. Losing the fat is awesome, but it doesn't reveal that awesome muscle layer if the muscle isn't ready to be revealed. If she works on muscle now, that bit of "flab" will go away. It is no longer about the weight or the scale. The new battle is the fat % and the tape measure.

Good luck getting abs at maintenance. It will be a painful and long process. And you can have tiny abs and if your body fat is low, they will show. I'm proof.

Oh, and it's never a battle with the scale. It's a battle with bf%. The weight is just an arbitrary number. You can get your core strong, but at maintenance, it will take a long time to get rid of the fat. But it's the only way to achieve that if you want to keep that arbitrary weight number.
  • Starbuck2020
    Options
    No problem. The only reason I know anything about this is because of my trainer haha. I still have a long way to go.

The forearms planks are a challenge be prepared! :)
    Squats are great, but I throw in some walking lunges. Put the barbell on behind your head on your shoulders and walk (lunge) accross the room and back as much as you can. Keep form in mind. They are killer.
    Have you done this one?....lay on your back with your feet about a foot from your butt and lift your hips up and down (with weights on hips for challenge) this works your glutes. Then do the same thing with your feet further out and your toes pointed up. This works your hamstrings.

You look great by the way. I can't wait to get there again....armed with my new workout knowledge. Message me if you want some other ideas. I have been with my trainer 4 months and have done all kinds of moves I would never have thought of.
  • OTchic
    Options
    striker i know where your knowledge comes from i mean look at those awesome abs!!! but i can't bring myself to terms that i still need to lose weight. i thought i needed to lose weight to lose this stomach but doing a forum post of pics everyone told me to stop losing. i am currently eating at 1400 calories which i don't think is eating at maintenance i think its still low?
  • Starbuck2020
    Options

Good luck getting abs at maintenance. It will be a painful and long process. And you can have tiny abs and if your body fat is low, they will show. I'm proof.

Oh, and it's never a battle with the scale. It's a battle with bf%. The weight is just an arbitrary number. You can get your core strong, but at maintenance, it will take a long time to get rid of the fat. But it's the only way to achieve that if you want to keep that arbitrary weight number.

I am sure your point is valid. I will not argue with you, except for this.... Men and women differ in muscle building. I don't know anything about you, but most guys I know have jobs and life styles that demand enough from their core that they have that "six pack" hiding under their fat if they don't have the diet to reveal it. Females don't always have that going on and have to "learn" how to work those muscles to make them show even if they have very little fat on their body. If I could weigh 95lbs and have no muscle at all....I am pretty sure any girl can be in that situation. It is about building muscle now. Not so much burning fat to show it. If there is fat, it will burn with the muscle creation.