boiled potato healthy or no?

Options
everyone talks about how much starch it has but is it really bad to have just one?

Replies

• stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Have as many as you want within your calorie limit - baked, fried, mashed whatever. Eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.
  • ellenhle
    Options
    thanks for asking that question quite helpful
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    No, potatoes, like most foods are healthy in moderation.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Damn sight healthier than most of the junk you will find in the supermarket.
  • mag104
    mag104 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Cant imagine a roast dinner without roast potatoes, just dont over do it
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    I like them for the Potassium, too.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    i find them far healthier than white rice, I just cut down on them a bit.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    everyone talks about how much starch it has but is it really bad to have just one?

Russet potatoes are very healthy. Some people have trouble fitting them in because of calories. Anyone who says otherwise is a weirdo fad dieter in my book! :tongue: :laugh:
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Have as many as you want within your calorie limit - baked, fried, mashed whatever. Eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.
    Why would you encourage someone to eat fried potatoes? It's not all about calories, its about improving your health overall too.

A baked potato here and there is fine, but they're not the healthiest vegetables. Non-starchy vegetables should make up the majority of the veggies you eat for optimal nutrition. And DON'T fry them in oil like this guy recommended -__-
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Why would you encourage someone to eat fried potatoes? It's not all about calories, its about improving your health overall too.

A baked potato here and there is fine, but they're not the healthiest vegetables. Non-starchy vegetables should make up the majority of the veggies you eat for optimal nutrition. And DON'T fry them in oil like this guy recommended -__-

What deleterious effects would eating fried potatoes here and there in an otherwise mostly whole food and varied diet have? I roast mine in duck fat nom nom nom
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I like them as a source of carbs.
    I'm far less likely to overeat a baked potato than I am bread.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I think you need to define "healthy". Do they have vitamins and minerals? Yes, so if that is your definition then sure they are.

If you are diabetic then maybe not so healthy.
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are awesome! They are a good source of Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, Potassium and Manganese, and they have fiber and protein, not just carbs. Hardly an empty food. Fried now and then isn't bad either, our bodies need fats too, just let common sense rule. Nothing better than homefires! Mmmmm.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    It seems a lot of people are yet to understand that no natural foods are evil! Processed foods arent the enemy either, it is all about the bigger picture. People label foods as good or bad to sell diet books and other 'weight loss' aides. Not because they are truly 'evil'.

Potatoes, and sweet potatoes and other starchy vegetables have some great nutritional qualities. They should be eaten in moderation of course, as should most things. But if it fits into your overall eating plan and you can fit it in to a reasonable macro split, then munch away!

FYI I would have potatoes at least a couple of times a week; mashed, fried, roasted or boiled.
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I could up a lot of foods...but never my potatoes! I think my freckles would fall off!
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

I would bake or steam, skin on. Boiling them takes out a good chunk of nutrition and the skins have a good amount in them.

I prefer baby reds, because it's easier to gauge how many you need and has the least amount of starch.
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    Even as a Paleo, I've been known to have a potato here and there, usually cooking them in bacon fat. I have to try the duck fat way as suggested by Acg
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Been debating adding some potatoes back into my diet myself, having not really incorporated pasta, bread, rice or potatoes in sometime.
    I got some individual steam bags of baby potatoes to have once a week or so with my salmon therefore and am hoping it will not affect my weight, as in water gain due to the change.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options

What deleterious effects would eating fried potatoes here and there in an otherwise mostly whole food and varied diet have? I roast mine in duck fat nom nom nom
    Um, heart disease? Excess empty calories? Loss of nutrients?

Do whatever you want, just don't try to perpetuate to others that its not harmful.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I vote healthy. It's a filling, whole food containing fiber and nutrients. My favorite are red potatoes.