Best way to get protein sans powder/shakes?

Options
2»

Replies

• Smrhoads
    Options
    Thanks for the laugh, folks!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I always point to this spreadsheet that I keep in my google docs. I found the data on a British calorie site, reorganized it a little. Biggest protein bang for your calorie-dollar is going to be tuna steaks (not the canned crap, actual tuna steaks).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhrF6DYrFPujdDFJODJKQzB5QTQ0eXVIcWstTHBRZHc#gid=0

Your Top Ten (per 100g serving):
    Tuna Fish (Steak) - 25.6g protein/110 calories = .233 g protein per calorie (gppc)
    Tilapia Fish - 24 g/105 kcal = .229 gppc
    Crab meat - 18.1g/80 kcal = .226 gppc
    Cod Fish - 17.9 g/80 kcal = .224 gppc
    Turkey Breast (skinless) - 22.3g/100 kcal = .223 gppc
    Orange Roughy Fish - 22.64g/105 kcal=.216 gppc
    Chicken Breast (Skinless) - 23.5g/109 kcal = .216 gppc
    Prawns (shrimp to us yanks) - 17g/80 kcal = .213 gppc
    Haddock Fish - 16.4g/80 kcal = .205 gppc

The highest ranking nut or seed is Pumpkin Seeds at 34th on the list, 0.049 gppc (28.8 g protein and 586 kcal per 100 g serving).

Add to that list:

Wild Alaskan Salmon per 100g - 25g protein/118 Kcals.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    nus and seeds are fats...chicken, beef, fish and pork(all lean cuts) are your best options!!
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Hey, can someone give me some advice on a subject I am clearly inept in so I can then refute what they say as if I know my *kitten* from a hole in the ground?

OP, your posts are idiotic.

Thanks for posting that for me so I didn't have to think through a blind rage for a proper reply.

Edit: The OP has got to be a very strategic troll profile. Right?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Poultry has the lowest calories for highest protein amount. That is one of my go-to meals. Also Bison if you can find it is very lean (low cal) and high protein not to mention mighty tasty.

Unless you have a lot of calories to spend, seeds and nuts would not be the way to go. Can do some cheese but again, those are higher in calories.

I disagree, you don't need a lot of calories to spend to eat seeds/nuts. You just need to plan them into a meal just like you do steak and chicken. Or if you are snacking on them, you need to snack on them measuring properly. A 14g serving of dark chocolate roasted almonds goes a LONG way for me.

Chicken seems like the cheapest, I just hate dressing it up because THAT is where the wasted calories come from. BBQ sauces, rubs, dressing, spices, marinades, and seasonings all make lean meat into high cal and nutrient deficient meals (that admittedly taste good but was a waste of calories).

Spices are not high calorie. How does seasoning a meat make it nutrient deficient?

I was gonna ask the same thing. Just adds more sodium, not really calories. See you next Thursday!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Meat, meat, and more meat.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Can't Understand Nutty Topic!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    *pops in, sees who the OP is, blows him a kiss, gives him a :flowerforyou: and leaves*

You, my friend, are gracious and devine.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Poultry has the lowest calories for highest protein amount. That is one of my go-to meals. Also Bison if you can find it is very lean (low cal) and high protein not to mention mighty tasty.

Unless you have a lot of calories to spend, seeds and nuts would not be the way to go. Can do some cheese but again, those are higher in calories.

I disagree, you don't need a lot of calories to spend to eat seeds/nuts. You just need to plan them into a meal just like you do steak and chicken. Or if you are snacking on them, you need to snack on them measuring properly. A 14g serving of dark chocolate roasted almonds goes a LONG way for me.

Chicken seems like the cheapest, I just hate dressing it up because THAT is where the wasted calories come from. BBQ sauces, rubs, dressing, spices, marinades, and seasonings all make lean meat into high cal and nutrient deficient meals (that admittedly taste good but was a waste of calories).

Spices are not high calorie. How does seasoning a meat make it nutrient deficient?

I was gonna ask the same thing. Just adds more sodium, not really calories. See you next Thursday!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

I'd offer up some advice, but it appears that you're looking for a specific answer instead of a correct one. :flowerforyou: