How do you get rid of cravings?

Options
As in the title. Any ideas? Cravings especially for the likes of sweets, or a bar of Mars or crisps etc. How do you combat it?

Replies

• THuffman1967
    THuffman1967 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I work those into my calorie budget for the day. If I don't allow myself to give in a little to the cravings, I'm afraid that I would blow it entirely. So figure out what you are craving the most (for me it's ALWAYS something with chocolate) and work it in.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    You could

- get a super saturated version or analog of the thing you're craving (eg, dark chocolate, not milk; super salty edamame instead of crisps/chips)

- have the opposite of the thing you crave (want crisps, have a banana; want sweets, have a pickle)

Best is to not have temptation around, & refuse or distribute food gifts. Why do people still do that :(
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Yep-if you are craving it, put it into your cals and eat it. Just use portion control. Having a craving for potato chips is NOT license to eat a whole 1 lb bag of them!
  • Saaaam42
    Saaaam42 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Control my portions or opt for the healthier version (i.e. dark chocolate)
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Like the others have pretty much said, you're not going to get rid of your cravings. You have to learn how to manage them.

And try and use them as a motivational tool! Really craving that fun size snickers? no no no, can't have it until after you've walked for half an hour. Want that extra beer? Not until you've stayed under your calories for 3 days in a row. Do you really need that regular ice cream? No, the TCBY frozen yogurt tastes just as good!

Also try and replace your sweet tooth with other things as well like fruits and flavored waters. Will help with the short term. Just dont cut them out completely unless you KNOW you can. Otherwise you're going to binge on them.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I generally have cravings at work. Sometimes I pour out a little of something for myself and give a coworker the rest of the package or eat a bit and dump the rest in the garbage. It's wasteful (especially $-wise) but it's better than eating a whole bag of chips by myself.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Either have a little of what you fancy each day, and work it into your calories OR hold off during the week and allow one weekend day where you let yourself have a little of the things you craved during the week and do a good workout.

Alternatively, find healthier options that might satisfy, such as some nuts and dried fruit for the sweet stuff, or a diet hot chocolate, or a chocolate mousse stuck in the freezer and you can make your own crisps doing kale chips - recipe should be easy to find online - or grab some rice cakes instead.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I eat it? I've learned that, for me anyway, trying to get the cravings to go away is not going to work. If I make anything off limits, the "diet" is going out the window soon enough and I'm back to binging. So, I work it in to my calories for the day and have a serving rather than going overboard.

Been working for me for almost a year and 100 pounds from my highest weight.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Cravings are a result of hunger. So get un-hungry, i.e., eat.
  • j0zf
    j0zf Posts: 10
    Options
    I eat small amounts of the things I crave, and then for the most part "out of sight - out of mind" helps.
  • Smrhoads
    Options
    I chug a bunch of water
  • Jessicao33
    Jessicao33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    As in the title. Any ideas? Cravings especially for the likes of sweets, or a bar of Mars or crisps etc. How do you combat it?

I take gymnema sylvestrev400 mg And it helps a lot with sweets take 1-2 callers one to 3 times daily before each meal. I only do it 2 Tim's a day... Good luck
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I think cravings for certain foods, especially sweets, come from a need to feel a little high...sugars have the ability to temporarily lift you up by increasing the serotonin in the brain. Unfortunately, it's too temporary and has bad effects on insulin and fat storage,,etc.

Another way to beat cravings without bad effects is to increase protein intake and teach yourself that this would make for a healthier person, inside and out.

There is alot of cool research and info out there on the net on this subject. Make it your new hobby to get some good info.

Most folks are just gonna tell you to chew gum or drink water. I say education is POWER! Go for it!
  • MusicMakinSnaye
    Options
    I either avoid it completely and not go near it (was craving McDonald's and McDonald's is conveniently on my way to work. Just avoid it. Nothing there is good for me) or I fit it in. Observe portions as best as possible.
  • mollz007
    mollz007 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I just try to distract myself
  • mary659497
    mary659497 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have found that nothing works for me when I have a craving so I try my best to include in my daily calorie allottment. Sometimes I succeed and sometimes I don't. However, I just move forward.
  • Roseygirl1
    Roseygirl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I think how you deal with cravings depends on what effect indulging has on you, and on what your goals are.

For me, my overriding goal is to return to being vibrantly well after years of illness, which has given me a lot of belly fat. To meet that goal, I really need to control my sugar and carbs, and eat as nutrient-dense as I can. So for me, I choose not to keep sugary treats in the house, and I am really settling in to eating a whole foods, carb-controlled, sugar-free diet. I focus more on what I want to get more of---like colorful veggies---than on what I should have---like cookies and white bread, etc.

Also, I have times where I can't stop, so it's best for me to not have my trigger foods in the house, since I don't want to set myself up for a binge. I will allow myself a treat, but it's usually for a special occasion, out at a restaurant, and rarely.

However, if your health permits it, and you aren't a binger, I don't see why you couldn't indulge if it's a controllable thing for you.

Since it isn't for me, I find I do best without the things that trigger cravings. What helps me a lot is following principles of the paleo/primal diets. It REALLY does away with cravings!

My biggest challenge is evening, when I watch TV. I've found that a cup of a naturally sweet herbal tea does the trick for me then. If I'm hungry, I'll eat some almonds. They really take the edge off in a big way. The other trick I have is to mix a TB. of high quality coconut oil with a TB. of good cocoa powder until it's smooth and creamy, and just eat it off the spoon. Coconut oil is a healthful fat and cocoa is full of antioxidants! It satisfies my chocolate need without triggering me for a binge. I CAN only eat one (spoonful).

Good luck!
    Susie
  • inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Eating healthier in general has really helped me. E.g. I use very little salt and added oil in my cooking and after doing that for some months, I don't really want something greasy and salty anymore (I used to love take away pizzas and chips...). Eating things that help me feel fuller longer helps as well.

Substituting with healthier snacks is also a good alternative. Instead of chocolate bars I have some cold pressed fruit/nut bars around - they only have about 100 cals each and are a much better option without all that added sugar normal sweets and chocolate bars have.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Stop eating the things you crave. Eliminate them from your diet entirely, yeah I said it.

The more you eat them, the more your body wants. They're like poison, empty nutrient-void foods that trick the brain into wanting more & more. Get rid of them. Eat nutrient-rich foods instead, things that will actually satisfy your body's needs. Once the crap is out of your system & you've replaced them with beneficial foods, your body & mind will thank you, and the cravings will be a thing of the past.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Eating healthier in general has really helped me. E.g. I use very little salt and added oil in my cooking and after doing that for some months, I don't really want something greasy and salty anymore (I used to love take away pizzas and chips...). Eating things that help me feel fuller longer helps as well.

Substituting with healthier snacks is also a good alternative. Instead of chocolate bars I have some cold pressed fruit/nut bars around - they only have about 100 cals each and are a much better option without all that added sugar normal sweets and chocolate bars have.
    This! Precisely what happens to me.