Why are cheat days good for you?

Options
Is it because they motivate you PHYSICALLY (your body will loose weight.) or MENTALLY, (you will be better at loosing weight.)

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of cheat days but when I do my weight drops off like magic. Very odd but I like it! Going to have one this weekend at the fair :)

They seem to me to be good mentally and physically.. for me at least.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    The typical school of thought on this is that it benefits both. It provides a metabolism boost, as well as helping to keep you 'sane'.

However, extremely overweight people have to be careful with them for two reasons. One, their metabolisms are already so out of whack that the physical benefits are minimal for them. Two, from a psychological standpoint, they haven't earned them yet. A 'half-cheat' is often more recommended for such people, if they are allowed at all.

Personally, I won't be utilizing them at all until I am under 15% bodyfat.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    they arent >.<
  • EuSaNaD
    EuSaNaD Posts: 33
    Options
    It's good to not be so strict/hard on yourself! You only live one life, and indulging once-in-awhile isn't going to ruin your progress!! There's no reason to deprive yourself!!! :happy:
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I do have them every now and again, although its more a cheat meal for me. I didn't get my usual exercise yesterday as my knee was hurting but I went out for dinner to an Italian with my sister. If I had got my usual exercise in I could have just kept my calories under my limit, but I couldn't. So I just ate a meal I enjoyed, starter and main course, even though I knew I would be over my goal for the day.

Today I feel fine, back to my usual exercise and porridge for breakfast. I had a lovely time last night and it was great to eat yummy food and catch up with my sister. Once I am maintainng I will still want to do things like this every now and again so the way I look at it is that I need to learn how to do it now. How to enjoy those little treats without totally going off track for three days.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I dont know if you are like me or not but i tend "never" to have naughty days:noway: BUT when i do my weight falls by a few lbs very shortly afterwards!
    i have found out why.......:huh:

i do it 2 times a month,ovulation and TOM! every month is the same routine...look at your progress chart on here over 90 days and see if tere is a pattern mine is every 14 days!
  • KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Good for the soul and helps you not going off the deep end!
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I don't class it as a cheat day, more as a relaxed day, and I generally have mine on the day I weigh, which is a Friday.

I look forward to it, and knowing I can indulge a little more on that day without feeling guilty spurs me on for the rest of the week.

It works for me :happy:
  • keni88
    keni88 Posts: 22
    Options
    they provide your metabolism with a much needed 'rev' to keep it burning at the rate that it would have been prior to the 'new' diet.

mentally they provide you that relief from what can be quite a hard change in regime, and the feeling that you're missing out, until you start seeing and feeling the benefits of your new diet; although this come with one condition, that you can relax and enjoy it! If you don't, and you hate yourself for it after and dont appreciate the food, then you will be doing more harm (to your confidence and will power) than good!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Also, keep in mind, there's a difference between a 'cheat' and a planned overfeed. Cheat tends to imply random loss of willpower that leads to eating crap you shouldn't be eating. Planned overfeeds are exactly what they sound like: days where you intentionally increase your caloric intake for the benefits it can provide, often done on days when your training intensity will be at it's highest.

The latter is what my first post was referring to.
  • 77billie77
    77billie77 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It is my reward 4 weight loss on Monday the day I weigh in... Only if I have earned it :love: cheat treats
  • a5hnk
    a5hnk Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Well a cheat day is generally high carb. When you are on a diet your leptin levels drop. These can be seen as "fat burning" hormones. So on a cheat day this is again increased. Therefore cheat days that you EARN are indeed very helpful both scientifically and mentally toward your goal.
  • pennaal
    pennaal Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in the idea of "everything in moderation." It's unrealistic to think that you're never going to have a slice of pizza or a piece of cake ever again in your life. This is a lifestyle and you need to live your life by allowing yourself those sweet necessities :)
  • hello50s
    Options
    great post!

I allow myself one day a week where I don't count, usually my weigh in day (Friday) or a weekend day. I don't tend to go overboard, but it gives me a break.

I agree with a few posts that you need to be realistic and use moderation in everything you do. I look forward to the things I really wanted to eat that week but didn't.

I have most weeks been losing the 1lb I am aiming for, using this method. I feel a lot better when I do this, and I think the success rate of losing and keeping off weight is greater when you are taking a day to relax the 'rules' and 'counting'.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    when yall say cheat day what does that really mean? cause there's kissing another girl cheating, getting it on with your neighbour or for full effect forcing yourself on a dolphin.

I could cheat to an extent that would make other people sick i.e entire packs of cookies would be mild. i dont want to do this, really I just want to know what would be normal for a cheat day i.e

level one
    1 piece of chocolate cake

level two
    burger + fries + shake

level three
    anything you want but within reason

level four
    3 full size meals of junkfood + desert
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    My cheat days, rare as they are, take me over less than 500 calories. Which is my estimated deficit, so my cheat days are really maintenance days. But I work to make up those calories by the end of the week (or usually, I have them already banked and just take them at the end of the week).

I eat good food and I eat bad food. As long as I'm making my macros and caloric goal, I don't sweat what I'm eating. I do, however, enjoy what I'm eating.

That's what keeps me sane and engaged. For 240 odd days so far.