Need suggestions on protein powders

Options
I like to incorperate a protein shake as a meal replacement sometimes when I have very little appetite. So, I thought I would try a new protein shake today. Ewwww, it is sooo gross. If you are looking for a new protein powder, I do NOT reccommend the "Oh Yeah" brand (chocolate flavor). It has a nasty after taste and tastes nothing like chocolate. I don't know about the other flavors this brand offers but I'm not willing to waste my money since the chocolate one was so bad. I have tried the Bolthouse brand (chocolate protein premixed shake) and it's pretty good but loaded with calories.

Does anyone have any reccommendations on a YUMMY chocolate protein powder that is low in calories and not outrageously priced? I am open for suggestions. But I am not interested in buying the Visalus shake mix from any sales reps since I know there are a lot of them on MFP. I am constantly getting friend requests from people who just want to sell me the Visalus program. When I say NO, they defriend me. Really??? I don't think MFP should be used as a tool to help you get rich. :grumble:

Sorry for my ranting. Let's go back to my original question, shall we? Any suggestions on some good, yummy, low calorie protein powders or pre-mixed shakes (chocolate flavor)? :drinker:

Replies

• swainslie
    Options
    Not sure where you are but Horleys Sculpt chocolate is good and so is the Healtheries Slim Chocolate one - both low cal but not sure how high the protein content actually is!
  • talisamb
    talisamb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a meal replacement GNC Lean shake is a good choice. Post workout I would go with gold standard whey. Both have 25 grams of protein and come in various flavors.
  • misfitswayoflife
    misfitswayoflife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    DO NOT buy Isolflex. I repeat DO NOT. It's disgusting. I paid 60$ for a 6 pound tub and I hate it.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    DO NOT buy Isolflex. I repeat DO NOT. It's disgusting. I paid 60$ for a 6 pound tub and I hate it.

Really? I love it! Its really good quality and doesnt have alot of the fillers that other cheaper brands do. If I lived close to you I'd take it off your hands for ya LOL!
  • LuckyTerrier
    LuckyTerrier Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I use Dymatize Nutrition - Elite Whey Protein Isolate Rich Chocolate. It tastes pretty good (better in milk than water though) and has only 117 calories for 24g protein.
  • Effy826
    Effy826 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use syntha-6, chocolate milkshake. Mixed with water and it tastes great. 200 calories and 22 grams protein. I was getting it from Vitamin world but found a website that is cheaper and has free shipping. vitaminshoppe.com. Good luck it is always difficult to find a good protein and not end up spending a fortune on the stuff that tastes bad.
  • NicoleR1980
    NicoleR1980 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    was lean protein chocolate fudge or pre mixed advant edge strawberry shke both are delish
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Well I have tried a few and these I like:

HEMP protein powder (I do add a little Troli Sugar Free Vanilla syrup to sweeten b/c it has no sweetener, but it has no bad flavor - I don't see why you couldn't add Troli sugar free chocolate syrup I have that one too):

http://www.znaturalfoods.com/Hemp-Protein-Organic-Raw-1-lb?cPath=5

The other one I've used and like is PlantFusion

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-127848-plantfusion-natures-most-complete-plant-protein-vanilla-bean-2-lbs-formerly-multi-source-plant-protein

I just googled it, but bought it from Earth Fare (we don't have Whole Foods in NC)

...sorry I missed the chocolate bit...PlantFusion has chocolate, but I haven't tasted it b/c I make fruit & green (spinach or greens) smoothies and prefer vanilla)
  • amandamickey
    Options
    I absolutely love Gaspari Nutrition's Myofusion line - it is a protein blend with probiotics. All of the flavors I have bought (Chocolate, Cinnamon Roll, Chocolate Peanut Butter) have been absolutely delicious when mixed with water, milk and anything else I have tried. It fluffs up great in a shaker with liquid and has 150cal, 9g of carbohydrates and 24g of protein per scoop.

**Note: if you aren't used to eating probiotics, this will likely upset your tummy (probiotics promote healthy digestion).
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    I use Dymatize Nutrition - Elite Whey Protein Isolate Rich Chocolate. It tastes pretty good (better in milk than water though) and has only 117 calories for 24g protein.

I like their Fusion XT. I like blended proteins. If you're willing to put up money and overpayfor GNC products I'll suggest Trutein or Wheyology: expensive but at least you get what you pay for. Trutein is by far the best I've ever used and I remain faithful.

All said and done, I always recommend the use of real foods over whey protein for getting a full diet. More anabolic and wholesome but hey... we love it, right?
  • Linda09189
    Options
    Jay Robb's is really good you can get it online, I also don't mind jillian michaels, that one you can get at walmart and it's less expensive, but if you don't mind spending the extra, I'd go Jay Robb all the way
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I drink EAS Soy Protein from Wal-Mart. :blushing: I've tried many but it is delicious! I usually drink it with soy milk.

19g Carbs, 20g Protein, 170 calories, 1.5g Fat, 17g Sugar for one scoop.

A little high in sugar but I absolutely love the texture. :drinker:

Edit: I should add, it's only $9.88 for each container and the chocolate is delicious, as is the vanilla!
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I buy Iso sensation 93. Great quality and affordable. One scoop is 130 calories, 30g of protein, <1g sugar, and, 1g of carb.
  • LisaY76
    LisaY76 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love Gaspari Nutrition's Myofusion line - it is a protein blend with probiotics. All of the flavors I have bought (Chocolate, Cinnamon Roll, Chocolate Peanut Butter) have been absolutely delicious when mixed with water, milk and anything else I have tried. It fluffs up great in a shaker with liquid and has 150cal, 9g of carbohydrates and 24g of protein per scoop.

**Note: if you aren't used to eating probiotics, this will likely upset your tummy (probiotics promote healthy digestion).
    I'd like to try this one. Where can I buy it? Is it expensive?
  • LisaY76
    LisaY76 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I drink EAS Soy Protein from Wal-Mart. :blushing: I've tried many but it is delicious! I usually drink it with soy milk.

19g Carbs, 20g Protein, 170 calories, 1.5g Fat, 17g Sugar for one scoop.

A little high in sugar but I absolutely love the texture. :drinker:

Edit: I should add, it's only $9.88 for each container and the chocolate is delicious, as is the vanilla!
    I will give this a try. Thanks for the suggestion. :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Carnivor Chocolate is excellent. It's beef protein isolate, and isn't cheap, but well worth it.

124 cal
    24g protein
    8g carbs
    0g fat
    Large quantities of B-vitamins and a decent amount of Creatine.

As for the taste, my girlfriend likes it. I honestly couldn't care less. I eat for function, not flavor.
  • scarletgenesis
    Options
    I've tried a few I like. Currently, I have Met RX in chocolate. It's pretty good. I like to blend it with almond milk and a frozen banana. Also some peanut butter. It's a very filling meal.

The only time I do a protein shake for other than a meal replacement is after a really heavy workout. And then I don't add the other stuff.
  • Igneous
    Igneous Posts: 12
    Options
    I use syntha-6, chocolate milkshake. Mixed with water and it tastes great. 200 calories and 22 grams protein. I was getting it from Vitamin world but found a website that is cheaper and has free shipping. vitaminshoppe.com. Good luck it is always difficult to find a good protein and not end up spending a fortune on the stuff that tastes bad.

plus if your using it kinda like a meal replacement you get 5g fiber 12 carbs (mixed in water not sure what the contents are with milk) so it well help hold you over. I use it between breakfast n lunch or lunch dinner. It's awesome!!!!
    I
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Whey Standard Double Rich Chocolate. It cost me $26 for a 2lb container, and it tastes great when mixed with skim milk. Give that a shot....
  • selfsmarted
    Options
    musclepharm combat powder. Vanilla tastes awesome.
    only 130 calories with 25 grams of protein.