Am I jogging incorrectly??

Options
Well, I wasn't sure if I should be posting this under exercise help or success story.

I am doing the C25K and this was week 2 day 1

I started jogging a little over a week ago and it was TOUGH. I literally was huffing and puffing the entire time, and felt lightheaded when I was finished although accomplished since I did finish.

Well today when I went for a jog I tried to pace myself to avoid the end-of-the-run exhaustion and didn't feel like I was suffering at all! It was very challenging for sure, my legs were feeling it and I had to push myself to complete the last few runs but it wasn't like the previous week.

The reason I'm asking is because I don't know if perhaps I didn't push myself hard enough this time around and should try to reach that exhaustion point (thus makes it a successful workout) or if it is okay to go at the rate I was going.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Running is not supposed to equal suffering.

It sounds like you were trying to go too fast the first week - it's a very common thing to do. The key to becoming a successful runner (other than consistency) is taking things easy (not too easy) and progressing at your own rate - don't be a slave to the program, if you need to repeat workouts or weeks then take the time to do it. Over time your body will adapt and you will become fitter. Keep at it and you'll be amazed at what you're capable of doing.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you did a much better job this week than the first one! :smile:
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Yep, no reason to feel like you have been in a prize fight at the end of a workout. Run at a conversational pace and you are getting the proper benefit from the workout.
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Thank you, guys! I will definitely aim to pace myself this next week.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    If you pushed so hard, you are in pain and want to give up running, you're pushing too hard.
    If you are looking forward to your next run and see how you go, you're doing it right.
    :drinker:
  • petechiae
    petechiae Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Just throwing in some encouragement! Keep going, you're still outlapping everyone on the couch!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Run so you can complete. As your runs get longer your pace will make a huge difference.
  • Ella_Bee
    Options
    Hey I'm looking to start C25K soon, which phone app did you download?? There's quite a few out there & i'm not sure which is best.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Running is not supposed to equal suffering.
    This actually took me some time to figure out.

I'm an athlete, have been for years. I played football for over a decade (HS, college, semi-pro) and I have always HATED distance running (anything over 100 yds lol)

I recently did the C25K to get 'into' running, and my only goal was to enjoy the run. My times weren't fantastic, but that was irrelevant. I started out with 10 minute miles on the treadmill. Now I can do sub 9 outside with ease. And it's enjoyable.

Take his advice, enjoy the runs. It's a great burn whether you're about to die or coasting along.
  • alimay66
    alimay66 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, slow down, go at your own pace, the speed comes later.
    I puffed through week 1, then week 2, and am now up to puffing through week 6 ;)
    I have the C25k app for the iphone, the free one from Zen Labs, and its great :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You are not supposed to be exhausted at the end of every run. Save that for races and selected hard workout days. It sounds like you are doing everything right.
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm looking to start C25K soon, which phone app did you download?? There's quite a few out there & i'm not sure which is best.

I just googled the most popular, and the one that would let you listen to music at the same time. It's a yellow app that says C25K on the front.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I think you're overanalyzing when you should be celebrating
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I need to look for an app.

My goal is out there..to do my first 5k next summer. I know to some that may seem like far out...but Im going slow as I never jogged in my life not four months ago.

Today I done my first 12 minute mile without stopping.

You can do it. Go your own speed and set your own small goals!!!
  • juliebateman
    Options
    I learned how to run through a local running club. Running with a group was great (as they help set the pace) but I consistently had trouble finding the proper pace when I ran alone until I bought something that helped me monitor it.

I started with the Nike Plus system that works with your iPod, and eventually bought a Garmin (like a watch). You can program your ideal pace into the gadgets and they will beep if you're going too fast or too slow. You should be able to talk when you're running.

That was a few years ago, so I think there are a lot of other options out there now, but it may be worth considering. I've taken running clinics from Learn to Run to Half Marathon, and trained for a Full Marathon on my own (with friends, just not a trainer) so feel free to ask if you have any other questions. I'm not an expert, but have learned from many of them ;)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I think you're overanalyzing when you should be celebrating

^ :wink:
  • jeffheurung07
    jeffheurung07 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Healthy running requires you to build slowly over a period of time. One suggestion for first time runners is to gradually build mileage over a period of time and do it at a pace that is comfortable. Walking and running is okay during these early stages. You should see a nice progression in distance and pace without discomfort if you build gradually over time, and you will avoid many common running injuries associated with doing too much too soon.
  • juliebateman
    Options
    OK, I agree with Jeff.

In my Learn to Run clinic, we started by running for 20 minutes - in one minute increments. Run one minute, walk one minute, etc. We did that three times in one week, then increased our time to 2 minutes the second week. Run for two minutes, then walk for one minute, etc.

It was a ten week program, and we built up to running 'ten and ones'. (I'm Canadian) the Running Room clinics train everyone to run 'ten and ones' because their theory is that you'll run faster for those ten minutes if you have a one minute recovery interval than if you run it continuously. Plus, it's easier to wrap your head around. You just have to concentrate on running ten minutes.. not 5k.

I've heard the beeps of many watches going off every ten minutes in every race I've been in. I've never been a fast runner, so the people at the front of the pack may not follow this type of program but many casual runners do.

So maybe you shouldn't worry about your pace yet, and just start with short increments to get your body used to running.
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    Every run is different :) I have days where I can run 5 miles at my fastest pace and feel on top of the world when I'm done, and there are days I can barely finish 3 miles without feeling like I'm about to die. I think you're doing great! Good job keeping at it! :)
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    Every run is different :) I have days where I can run 5 miles at my fastest pace and feel on top of the world when I'm done, and there are days I can barely finish 3 miles without feeling like I'm about to die. I think you're doing great! Good job keeping at it! :)

This too. It's taken me 15 years of running, some off more than on, some on more than off, to sort out my pace(s), and how to "build miles". And I only know what works for me - everybody is different. And what I ate, how I slept, what I did the day before, all that can affect things too. But everybody's right - running shouldn't regularly get you exhausted. Once in a while, just for fun, to see how fast you can go, sure! But not every time.

One of the best lessons running has taught me is to be patient with myself while striving towards a goal. It's difficult to believe that a slow run, or a frustratingly run, will get me to success when they feel like failure. But any time you put shoes on and go out the door, you're that much closer to your goal.

Another thing running has taught me is that to speed up, I often have to slow way down. The "conversational pace" people are talking about, where you can chat while running, theoretically that's aerobic work and great for building cardiovascular health and improving overall fitness. The "utter exhaustion" you speak of sounds anaerobic to me, which also has benefits sometimes - but not really appropriate for a C25K, not yet.