Stress and weight loss

Options
So this year has been the most stressful year I could ever imagine. My husband got busted for Cocaine and I never even knew what was going on. He is military so he went through a Court Martial and lost rank and his career is basically over. He was close to retirement. After everything we had been through and after me standing by him all of this time....he decided he doesn't want to be married. However, we just signed for a house and there is no way I can afford it on my own. I bust my *kitten* everyday to exercise and I have been losing weight....but I am losing NOTHING around the middle. This is putting my military career at rish because waist size is a componant of our PT test. I have been working on destressing my life...but it isn't easy.

Just need to vent. I feel so much better after exercise and each week when I stand on the scale....but it would be nice to see it come off my waist.

Replies

• Starbuck2020
    Starbuck2020 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have always heard of this sort of thing. (been in 10 years) I am sorry you have had to go through this. Is there anyway you can get out of the mortgage agreement? Have you gone to the HAWC to speak to a dietician? I think the weight around the middle is all about food although running helps. Stess and depression are my fat factors. I was really depressed a few years back and failed my PT test. So then I start having to go to these mandatory classes and have everyone all over me about working out blah blah blah. My ex would treat me like crap if I tried to go workout and work would treat me even worse if I didn't. I was so stressed. I gained another 10 pounds instantly. I know it sucks, but if I were you I would go to mental health and tell them what you are going through. They may be able to help you keep the stress levels down. The readiness center would have ideas about the financial stuff.
    Sorry if I am not much help. Just thinking outloud about what I would do if this were me.

My typical PT test: waist=max points push-ups=max points sit-ups=max points run=fail. haha I worked on it for a long time and managed to eek by with my run at long last, but bleh! I hate it.
  • RonitMig
    RonitMig Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You aren't losing around the middle because of stress. I left a job, got a new job, relocated to another state, had to rent out my old place (can't afford 2 mortgages) and had a wedding this year alone. I completely understand the stress thing. I also gained 20 pounds- all in my belly. I have lost a few pounds so far, but my belly is HUGE. I am working with an endocrinologist who has me on low doses of steroids to help with the stress (which causes the belly fat). It might be something you want to look in to (it also helps with a few other stress-related symptoms).
    I am so sorry you have had to endure so much. I really hope things get better for you. You are smart taking care of you though first through all of this.
  • Starbuck2020
    Starbuck2020 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You aren't losing around the middle because of stress. I left a job, got a new job, relocated to another state, had to rent out my old place (can't afford 2 mortgages) and had a wedding this year alone. I completely understand the stress thing. I also gained 20 pounds- all in my belly. I have lost a few pounds so far, but my belly is HUGE. I am working with an endocrinologist who has me on low doses of steroids to help with the stress (which causes the belly fat). It might be something you want to look in to (it also helps with a few other stress-related symptoms).
    I am so sorry you have had to endure so much. I really hope things get better for you. You are smart taking care of you though first through all of this.

Steroids, that is very interesting. Has it been helping? I wanted to see an endocrinologist, but my doctor suggested weight loss pills first. Also, I thought that where we gain weight is more of a genetic thing. My stomach stays relatively flat while my hips and thighs get huge, then I develop the belly.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    You have been through a rough year indeed. I undestand stress and the difficulty in reducing it. I decided to try a few things to see if any would help. When I started adding Chia Seeds to my Activia, belly fat started disappearing quickly. While belly fat is related to stress, so is constipation and reduced natural bowel movements. I don't know if you are constipated or any of that, but that can cause a stall in loss... The Chia with the Activia keeps things moving as they used to (on a regular schedule) BUT I no longer need to bring reading material to the "throne" because it all evacuates swiftly....
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    You have been through a rough year indeed. I undestand stress and the difficulty in reducing it. I decided to try a few things to see if any would help. When I started adding Chia Seeds to my Activia, belly fat started disappearing quickly. While belly fat is related to stress, so is constipation and reduced natural bowel movements. I don't know if you are constipated or any of that, but that can cause a stall in loss... The Chia with the Activia keeps things moving as they used to (on a regular schedule) BUT I no longer need to bring reading material to the "throne" because it all evacuates swiftly....

Oh, and the chia seeds will also help supress your appetite... :)