running my 5k

Options
i only started running about 3-4 months ago when i started to get serious about weight loss and health. i literally could not run around the block at that time. i did not follow any specific plan but pushed myself when i ran, sprints, intervals, etc. i just got in from my 3rd 5K and my time was 25mins42secs, i was so thrilled. my goal was to break the 26min mark so i was so excited. i placed 9th in my field of 56 (the race had 1100 people). i am 40 years old so this proves that anyone can do it, get out there and RUN!! good luck to everyone in their weight loss journey.

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    That's AMAZING! Go you! I can only hope to do as well within my next couple 5ks. WAY TO GO!
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    WOW! That is so fast! LOL I blame my height though, my best 5k to date is just over 31 minutes

Congrats!!
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    Options
    That's AMAZING! Go you! I can only hope to do as well within my next couple 5ks. WAY TO GO!
    you CAN do it, a little farther, a little faster each day. just keep pushing yourself, your body will not let you down. good luck and thanks.
  • tomtrl
    tomtrl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration. I'm running my first 5k in 3 weeks. I'm almost 50. My time today (treadmill) was 29:55, the best so far. I really need to get running outside, because I know it will be very different. I too am a new runner.
  • stringsNlinks
    stringsNlinks Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    that's great...you should be proud!

I just started running as well. I have improved my time dramatically in just 3 weeks. I am doing an 8k race at the end of March (21st) and can hardly wait. My 20 year old daughter who is a runner is helping me stay motivated and we did a great 4 mile run this morning on a trail following Lake Michigan. It was awesome... a little chilly to start but we warmed up pretty quick.

I wish you well. Be careful not to over run/train and injure yourself. but in the meantime WHOOO HOOOO for you!
  • kgrutch
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration. I'm running my first 5k in 3 weeks. I'm almost 50. My time today (treadmill) was 29:55, the best so far. I really need to get running outside, because I know it will be very different. I too am a new runner.

good luck for your 1st run, great time. i try to split my time between treadmill and road. i love the treadmill for the ability to up the incline (i live in flat florida, no hills at all), i use the incline A LOT to try to improve my endurance. i definitely can run better on the road, i actually run faster on the road, probably becuase i am not scared to fall off, lol. have fun!!
  • kgrutch
    Options

I just started running as well. I have improved my time dramatically in just 3 weeks. I am doing an 8k race at the end of March (21st) and can hardly wait. My 20 year old daughter who is a runner is helping me stay motivated and we did a great 4 mile run this morning on a trail following Lake Michigan. It was awesome... a little chilly to start but we warmed up pretty quick.

I wish you well. Be careful not to over run/train and injure yourself. but in the meantime WHOOO HOOOO for you!

have you been doing anything special to increase your time? i am running another race in 3 weeks and want to improve my time (even if it is only a little). i have heard sprint training works, do you have any ideas? good luck with your 8k.
  • stringsNlinks
    stringsNlinks Posts: 293 Member
    Options

have you been doing anything special to increase your time? i am running another race in 3 weeks and want to improve my time (even if it is only a little). i have heard sprint training works, do you have any ideas? good luck with your 8k.

I have been using the training guide from Galloway's 5k/10k running book. It includes a walk/run pattern to build endurance. I actually did the 4 miles today with very little walking, mostly running and have gone from a 14 minute mile to 10.08 in three weeks. I know that is not fast but I will continue to improve. His theory is to control fatigue before it happens while eliminating aches & pains. I'm old and so far so good, knees, hips etc.

Happy running!
  • jmathews
    jmathews Posts: 196
    Options
    I started out the same way you did...couldn't run one lap, but I too pushed myself a little more each day. I've done several 5k's and now I run 3-5 days a week. I use the 5k setting on the treadmill. I woulde prefer to be outside but we have been so frigid here in BAMA, I don't like running in the cold. I love how I feel when I'm finished!!! BTW-I'm 43 and started a year ago and am still going!

Keep it up...you should be proud!
  • kgrutch
    Options
    I started out the same way you did...couldn't run one lap, but I too pushed myself a little more each day. I've done several 5k's and now I run 3-5 days a week. I use the 5k setting on the treadmill. I woulde prefer to be outside but we have been so frigid here in BAMA, I don't like running in the cold. I love how I feel when I'm finished!!! BTW-I'm 43 and started a year ago and am still going!

Keep it up...you should be proud!

thanks, great for you too, starting in your 40's. it is funny how a lot of people in their 40's take up running. i think becuase it is so versatile, no need for scheduling, equipment, etc, just go outside and start. hopefully your weather will improve so you can get outside, i feel fortunate to be able to run year round here in florida. keep up the great work!
  • Jerzeebabie04
    Options
    Wow that's awesome! I wish I could run, I would LOVE to run, there are so many charities that have walk/runs and I would love to do one. I'm in that situation where I can barely make it around the block! Get all out of breath and discouraged. But when I watch the biggest loser and they run in the beginning and barely make it, then in the end they are doing the marathon I always think I wish I could do that. I just have to get my butt up and push through it and eventually I hope it will become easier. Thanks for the inspiration